Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Holyhead a nice place?

• 12-12-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I was thinking of going there on these Stena Line Christmas deals..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Absolute s**thole. The best thing about Holyhead is the road out of it. (or the ferry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You should suggest it as a quality destination to this loon...
    “Loved It, Would Love To Go Back”
    Reviewed 1 September 2011

After booking a week off work to both recover from a trip to a music festival and celebrate my birthday, I decided I may as well spend the week somewhere a bit different. So I booked four nights in Travelodge in Ballymun
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186605-d634898-r117525957-Travelodge_Dublin_Airport_Ballymun-Dublin_County_Dublin.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's a kip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Nothing wrong with it. Its like a Welch Sligo. Wales is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Unless you're a Nolans driver, keep the foot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its like Dolphins Barn on Dublins southside, only worse. Which is quite a feat

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Absolute s**thole. The best thing about Holyhead is the road out of it. (or the ferry)

Ah it cant be that bad surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I live in Wales, Holyhead is a hole...the definition of a port town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Absolute kip, you'd be lucky to entertain yourself there for 20 minutes. Chester is about an hour and a half away on the train, nice town and a few things to do, feasible for a day trip.

• Advertisement

There's a 'Village Of The Damned' quality about Holyhead.

It's like Cavan but worse and Welsh.

I live in Wales, Holyhead is a hole...the definition of a port town.

I heard the folks arw quite friendly and some scenery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I had a Wale of a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

There's a pound shop, a chippers and fifty pubs. Kip. There's a reason they put two exits - sea and road. It was a demand led decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Its not QUITE that bad, but it's pretty grim in winter. I mean, it is a tiny remote country town.

In summer it can be an attractive little place with some nice scenery around and a couple of excellent beaches nearby. For a few days. In sunshine. Christmas in Holyhead sounds like a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

DON'T....EVEN...THINK..ABOUT..IT

Ive known countless people who have gone there with expectations of it being some kind of seaside oasis and been bitterly disappointed. Get the train to Bangor if your going which is a decent town about 30 mins away. All in all not a huge fan of North Wales. It has a grim feeling about it and feels like its stuck in the 60s:pac:

There's a pound shop, a chippers and fifty pubs. Kip. There's a reason they put two exits - sea and road. It was a demand led decision.

Don't forget the Santander with the ATM that smells like piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

save yourself the trip and just go to Dun Laoghaire, it's even slightly nicer tbh, not much but slightly.

• Advertisement

And they have a Lidl now too outside the ferryport. Great for the cheap cans to temporarily drown out the depression of being in such a kip and pass the time;)

Whosthis wrote: »

Not many positive words so far :v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I would not recommend. I have been in the port for about 2 or 3 hours at a time and even that is too much!

Not many positive words so far :v

Go to Chester, a place I know very well (used to live there for a year and a bit)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Ive known countless people who have gone there with expectations of it being some kind of seaside oasis and been bitterly disappointed. Get the train to Bangor if your going which is a decent town about 30 mins away. All in all not a huge fan of North Wales. It has a grim feeling about it and feels like its stuck in the 60s:pac:

Thanks to Maggie thatcher.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I like North Wales. Except for Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Ive known countless people who have gone there with expectations of it being some kind of seaside oasis and been bitterly disappointed. Get the train to Bangor if your going which is a decent town about 30 mins away. All in all not a huge fan of North Wales. It has a grim feeling about it and feels like its stuck in the 60s

You're know you're scrapping the barrel when Bangor is described as a decent town in comparison.

Very accurate description of N Wales too...the abandoned slate mines and grey houses do nothing for the place.

poisonated wrote: »
    I would not recommend. I have been in the port for about 2 or 3 hours at a time and even that is too much!

I was stranded there for 30 hours in the middle of winter with nowhere to stay. I haven't been the same since.

• Advertisement

Grim, this was probably snapped at lunchtime on a Saturday, even managed to get the ATM in.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3100884,-4.6333324,3a,75y,357.55h,89.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8d_6HIz_AqCyxWoWdYGUmw!2e0?hl=en

somefeen wrote: »
    I was stranded there for 30 hours in the middle of winter with nowhere to stay. I haven't been the same since.

Same. Hotel Transit in the port and had to venture out to explore...I was bored witless after an hour.

You all are being helpful.. not a good idea then? Any of yas know what the locals are like?

You're know you're scrapping the barrel when Bangor is described as a decent town in comparison.

Very accurate description of N Wales too...the abandoned slate mines and grey houses do nothing for the place.

My exact thought the first time I passed through in 2006 was get me back to the red bricked houses of Dublin. I just glanced at Holyhead on google maps there and scarily enough its momentarily depressed the life out of me.

You all are being helpful.. not a good idea then? Any of yas know what the locals are like?

They are ALL lovely. ALL of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I was thinking of going there on these Stena Line Christmas deals..

Just to holyhead? Or as a connection to somewhere in the uk?

• Advertisement

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch is just down the road and on Anglesey. You could visit there. I had great fun getting all the locals to say it for a while then I got bored again:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The only interesting places to see there are the mountain and lighthouse but this wouldn't be the best time of year to venture up there.

Wouldn't be bothered with the town, very run down and loads of chavs hanging around.

They are ALL lovely. ALL of them.

Sarcasm?

Same. Hotel Transit in the port and had to venture out to explore...I was bored witless after an hour.

"I suppose I could have another look around lidl...." :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Went ONCE.

The sky and the ground were the same shade of drizzle:(

Got a cheese burger, the cheese was INSIDE the burger!

The pub i was killing time in sold whiskey flavoured condoms:confused:

• Advertisement

EB_2013 wrote: »
    The only interesting places to see there are the mountain and lighthouse but this wouldn't be the best time of year to venture up there.

Wouldn't be bothered with the town, very run down and loads of chavs hanging around.

It could actually be a decent spot if they got their act together and targeted the Irish day trip, weekend break market. And bring in serious revenue to the town.

lufties wrote: »
    Just to holyhead? Or as a connection to somewhere in the uk?

Connection after reading this thread haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The wee chipshop just up to the left before you go down into the port used to do great fish, don't know if it's still there or not.

somefeen wrote: »
    "I suppose I could have another look around lidl...." :(

Lol. I feckin did too..many times...then it shut..Oh the excitement when it opened again in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

It could actually be a decent spot if they got their act together and targeted the Irish day trip, weekend break market. And bring in serious revenue to the town.

Yeah, I agree. There are plenty of outdoor activities to do around the island but most people don't seem to stay in the local area, just pass through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They need a slogan

'Holyhead - there's more here than there is in Cairnryan'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I've had a few jars in the pub adjacent to the ferryport to pass the time.

It's called, for some bizarre reason, the Edinburgh Castle. Open late, too, for the nocturnal wayfarer.

And there's always the Lidl for cheap supplies to sustain you for the ferry trip.

So that's Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Grim, this was probably snapped at lunchtime on a Saturday, even managed to get the ATM in.

<snipped googlemaps link>

Further up the road by the cross monument, there is also the "Soft Play Cafe". I don't know what that is, and frankly I'm afraid to Google it, but it's something else to see, anyway...

Was here a few times in the 90s, and found it uninspiring. I didn't think that opinion would still be relevant, but after scooting around on street view, I'm astonished by how little had changed. I'm sure the people who live there like it well enough, but I wouldn't consider it a destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

We had a few hours to kill many moons ago. Went to the local cinema and had a local chav throw pennies at us from a few rows back. Marvellous place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If Hitler was a small costal Welsh town, he would be Holyhead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement