Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baldy man beach run, tramore

Options
  • 12-12-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Has anyone done this before? I've never really run on sand, is it hard going? it takes me about 48 mins to run 5 miles on the road, I wonder what I could expect with this, especially so soon after Christmas :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Hi Araic88 it is tough and fairly hard going but well worth it. Weather, tides and the softness of the sand on the back strand can all have a serious influence on the run. Good craic though and it is a good cause, times wont really matter and it is a bit longer than 5 miles. Great finish on the prom and you will feel great afterwards though not immediately.

Enjoy

MacSwifty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I've done the race a few times, and also run it in training a lot during the summer. It's a tough slog but it's great to get off the roads and something a bit different. No matter what, the wind always seems to be at your back heading down the beach for the first 2 miles, and then when you turn to go around the sandhills the soft sand is made feel tougher with the wind in your face. There's also a short stoney section. Great fun :pac:. No honestly, I really think it's a great run, well worth doing. It measures about 5.5 miles on my garmin.

One more thing, it always amazes me to see so many people lined up at the start in their lovely sparkling new runners. Little do they realise they will be destroyed by the finish, especially if the tide is just after turning to go out. So old runners are a must.

Advertisement