Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York for 7or10 days

Options
  • 12-12-2014 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

hi all my partner and I are heading to New York next October. Is a week long enough or 10 days??? He used to live there and I was there about 12 years ago!!! Great offers at the mo €490 return direct.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If you can afford the 10 days then I'd say go but no reason to spend them all in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

with who did you get this price, aer lingus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I paid $420 for last Thanksgiving, you should be able to get less than $490 to be honest (I mean a Euro sign, but my keyboard is American weh).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I can't imagine what you would do in New York for 10 days unless you had friends and family there to spend time with. For me a couple of days sight seeing including museums, a couple of days shopping and maybe a couple of days chilling out having long boozy lunches and dinners would be the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would be happy enough with 7 days there, there are only so many sights and museums you can do (i'm usually bored of "sights" by 4 days). However, if you both lived there- you'll probably have sentimental places to visit as well (bars etc)

What I would suggest though is taking a midweek trip up to New England to see the fall colours (when it is quieter as well). October in Maine is something to behold....(november through march is a different story :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I can't imagine what you wouldnt do in New York for 10 days.

Once you see the main sights I would advice just walking around the city at your own speed and drinking in the whole place. Go down to the village and just get lost. Explore.

If you get a chance get the subway to High Street or Clark Street and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan. It's a stunning vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I paid $420 for last Thanksgiving, you should be able to get less than $490 to be honest (I mean a Euro sign, but my keyboard is American weh).

Euro sign on an American keyboard - hold down the ALT key and hit 0128 on the keypad. €

Pound sign is ALT 156. £

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I could easily spend 10 days in NYC. We usually try to limit the sightseeing to two things/places per day, and the rest of the time just wander around, take in Central Park, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm just back from 3 weeks. But I have family in Brooklyn. If you have been there before a week is enough

As suggested, I'd spend 7 in NYC and 3 in New England; Boston if you like cities or small New York state towns if you want to see something different. No need to fly in and out of NYC either to make logistics easier.

If you did want to spend the entire 10 days in NYC then there'll be plenty to keep you busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 golfrules

Have been to NY numerous times, but have family over there. One time we took the amtrack up to Washington DC for 3 days it was FANTASTIC. I if you can at all I would recommend fitting in Washington DC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

golfrules wrote: »
    Have been to NY numerous times, but have family over there. One time we took the amtrack up to Washington DC for 3 days it was FANTASTIC. I if you can at all I would recommend fitting in Washington DC

I spent two weeks on the east coast between Washington, Boston & New York. Would definitely recommend Washington for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Washington is a great city and well worth a trip. You can get a return bus trip for around $60 as Amtrak can cost three times that one way.

Washington or Boston, splash out and get the high-speed train to make the most of your holidays.

Advertisement