Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC - July 1st - Aviva Stadium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Up in the rafters the sound was poor but the show was slick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭54and56

bduffy wrote: »
    Up in the rafters the sound was poor but the show was slick

Pretty much this.

Not a patch on the O2 in 2009 though. They've lost a lost a lot of energy. Good but not great. Glad I saw them in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Getting home from the Punchestown gig resembled the final scent of Titanic - filippin hilarious!! So true - I was there too and it was like that!! :-) great piece of wit!
    Great gig, surprised at them starting bang on 8.30.

Crowd were very docile, virtually no beer/toilet/cameraphone nuisance. Almost made me long for Punchestown 2009 when getting home resembled the final scene of Titanic.

Frightening to think Ed Sheeran is deemed the next generation of stadium gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Great gig, brilliant to still see Angus rocking around the stage at his age

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonaGod

Can't compare to ed Sheeran completely different audience. Who were ac/ dc playing to when they were his age?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Not a fan of arena gigs at all but really enjoyed that.

Haven't seen them since '91 and so would be unfair to compare them to how they were back then but I think Angus is just remarkable. Second only to Springsteen for a performer of that age group who still gives so much energy on stage .

Obviously wish Malcolm was there but sure so does everyone. Slade's drumming is good but he is no Rudd for me and I hope if they do make one final album in a few years, and I think they will, hope Phil will have got himself sorted. Most likely he won't but whatever happens there, I do think they have one more album in them. Angus and Johnson seem like energizer bunnies and so I don't see why not, with perhaps a scaled down tour with smaller venues.

But yeah, really enjoyed it and I thought the crowd were amazing. Seen some vids on online from the Hamden Park concert (which is pretty much a home gig for them) and the place was half empty and the crowd a little lackluster I felt. Not to blow our trumpet too much but I felt we were a cracking audience tonight and well up for it, especially considering half the audience have seen better days. Sure if I carried on like I did in the point in '91, I'd be liable to put me back out ffs.

tl;dr

Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Angus as ever was superb, the sound was very good where I sat. Setlist was great and the band were very good.

7D5BB00494874879BB1CA74CAE00ACF2-0000362898-0003774715-00640L-B40D4F75A94847FC8C6FA094817B4266.jpg

DA962349F4BD4492A0F1F49AA67DA2EC-0000362898-0003774714-00640L-4A1CE8A27663443C83328620134DE33D.jpg

19EA9C9DB454414894A1421122DB8EAB-0000362898-0003774713-00640L-85E43FBC905D421C8514DE6F27F7D9E1.jpg

6B2DAC66325B435587B5CF42873E596F-0000362898-0003774711-00640L-DC15CC1FA56A46EC98EACAA31758ECFE.jpg

57B4914FF100419583D4335E4D19FB25-0000362898-0003774710-00640L-626934BDC9A44BA3864086335F7549C1.jpg

Good evening Rosie
    B1A3AF5B59074BF7BB2FA8D6228A291D-0000362898-0003774708-00640L-D486666934344B90899876BB8D16E562.jpg

F6B32939096443E9A9D6443C84562BCA-0000362898-0003774707-00640L-6D39C31FB79F4B9C944BB9BF625C8FCA.jpg

17C712AD0A3549E2808C614289929512-0000362898-0003774706-00640L-3FA0F58B4442427289D9026796C89652.jpg

677744531AE14789BCC04D213EB7B4D5-0000362898-0003774705-00640L-88E5EF8072794CB096CB19E26C8A0838.jpg

36B39CC6C2C247D1886E2214D7BF6219-0000362898-0003774703-00640L-B08DF2E50BF94918A458A2BD732CB145.jpg

38124BFCCFF74D44ABF785372E79192B-0000362898-0003774702-00640L-3E6F76216F3B434BA03F254FE7B844B0.jpg

64B0DE0AFD094B9684626707605C3939-0000362898-0003774701-00640L-588F76CEECB946F5803296B2B044BF75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Thanks for including the photos, rednik.

I hope it isn't the last time we'll see them. It was a great gig.

I thought the sound was very good, from near the back of Pit A, in the central area, near the barrier to Brian and Angus's walkway.

The sound wasn't great for the first few of Vintage Trouble's songs but it improved for them for most of their set.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

The sound was terrible in upper stand (couldn't hear Brian at all). I gave up on it and made my way to pitch level thanks to a few understanding stewards (and a few thick ones as well). The difference was immense, acoustically and visually. Enjoyed it from there on.

Great gig, surprised at them starting bang on 8.30.

Crowd were very docile, virtually no beer/toilet/cameraphone nuisance. Almost made me long for Punchestown 2009 when getting home resembled the final scene of Titanic.

Frightening to think Ed Sheeran is deemed the next generation of stadium gigs.

I wouldn't be surprised at their punctuality.

As far as I know they've never done what Axl Rose did in Dublin in September 2010, by not starting till 10.25pm!:)

Axl kicked himself an own goal that time, when he played in both the Odyssey Arena Belfast and 02 Dublin. The next time Guns N Roses played Ireland it was just in Dublin in May 2012 and while it was a great gig, it didn't sell out, and didn't sell as well as the 2010 gigs.

I think AC/DC are always very punctual with their live shows, and as I understand it, while their setlist varies from tour to tour, it is, as far as I am aware, pretty much the same for every show on those tours.

I think all their gigs are around two hours in length.

You raise an interesting point about Ed Sheeran. Perhaps the same point could be made about The Script?

It'll be interesting to see if The Script and Ed Sheeran, can maintain, in the coming years, the level of popularity that is currently evident for them, in the way they have both sold out shows in Croke Park.

There aren't that many bands over the years who have managed to maintain such a high level of interest and demand in their live shows, throughout their careers, to be able to stage big outdoor Summer tours, except maybe for a few bands, for example groups like U2, The Rolling Stones and AC/DC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was incredible, that band are a f*cking drug.

Stevie was brilliant, a total pro, Slade was solid too, the only criticism I'd have of him is the tempo was laboured on Let There Be Rock, but I am a self confessed Rudd fanboy and I thought he was fine apart from that.

Angus is a freak, is there any other 60 year old heavy smoker who has that much energy, loved when he was playing guitar with his tie and using that plastic bottle as a slide :pac:

I was surprised to hear people sing along to Sin City I thought that was one of their more obscure tracks, I was grinning like a simpleton during Shoot To Thrill, High Voltage and Dirty Deeds, for the first few seconds of Play Ball I thought it was Moneytalks and was kinda disappointed when it wasn't.

I enjoyed Vintage Trouble, the crowd seemed apathetic towards them, but I think they started to warm to them after the singer jumped into the crowd, that fella was a bit of craic in fairness.

I was reading on the AC/DC Forum that they possibly could be doing another European leg next year if there's any truth to that, it's possible we might see them here one more time.

I can feel the post euphoria depression setting in :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

There aren't that many bands over the years who have managed to maintain such a high level of interest and demand in their live shows, throughout their careers, to be able to stage big outdoor Summer tours, except maybe for a few bands, for example groups like U2, The Rolling Stones and AC/DC.

I think AC/DC's popularity in Ireland anyway is quite sudden, in 1996 they were supposed to play a gig in The Point and one in Belfast but they had to merge them together due to poor ticket sales and they skipped us completely on the Stiff Upper Lip tour don't think there was any huge outcry about that, then when they announced the dates in 2008 there was an almighty scrap for tickets, it's strange how they suddenly became fashionable, when they had been around over 30 years at that time and people would have known what they were about at that stage.

Suppose they've been a stadium band since about '91, maybe their popularity is less of an overnight thing in other countries.

I think AC/DC's popularity in Ireland anyway is quite sudden, in 1996 they were supposed to play a gig in The Point and one in Belfast but they had to merge them together due to poor ticket sales and they skipped us completely on the Stiff Upper Lip tour don't think there was any huge outcry about that, then when they announced the dates in 2008 there was an almighty scrap for tickets, it's strange how they suddenly became fashionable, when they had been around over 30 years at that time and people would have known what they were about at that stage.

Suppose they've been a stadium band since about '91, maybe their popularity is less of an overnight thing in other countries.

I would think the fact they played bigger venues like Punchestown in 2009 and the Aviva earlier tonight is due to them maintaining - to a large extent - the fans that they had in the late 1970s, 80s and 90s, but along with that gaining new fans over recent years, fans who would have been too young to have seen them in 1991 or 1996.

What I wonder about Ed Sheeran and The Script is, will they be able to hold on, as fans, throughout their careers, all the people who bought tickets to see them in Croke Park this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

They've lost a lost a lot of energy

Serious?

Angus and Brian never stopped and the others never did much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

First time seeing them and loved every moment! :D:D

Proper rock with no BSing about.

Funnily, anyone I spoke to was from the UK and was traveling about to see them. Thankfully there was hardly any phones/cameras/recording every second of the show business.

Can we go again?? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Fantastic gig, pure energy. They just rock, simple as.

They could have done a setlist of 20 different songs and it still would have been incredible. My voice is gone but I'm a very happy man today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I know the Point was an instant sell out in 2009, but I don't think Punchestown ever sold out (was there though)?? Having said that, the location of that concert was always going to make it a harder sell than a stadium in the centre of Dublin.
    Serious?

Angus and Brian never stopped and the others never did much anyway.
    Ah they were taking longer breaks between songs than they would have in the past, which does interrupt the flow a bit. Don't get me wrong, when they were on they, were ON, but between songs they had to take significant breathers IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

I though it was just amazing. The energy was unreal. The crowd just jumped straight in and stayed with them till the end. It was just pure fun!!! 2nd time seeing them and I enjoyed it just as much! Cracking night start to finish!!!!

Wish it wasn't over!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Snowchaser

There seemed to be a seriously messy crowd at the concert last night. People getting absolutely destroyed drunk before the concert.

I don't think residents were too happy around there with the amount of sick on the ground, drinking in public in the villages around the ground and general drunken behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

cython wrote: »
    I know the Point was an instant sell out in 2009, but I don't think Punchestown ever sold out (was there though)?? Having said that, the location of that concert was always going to make it a harder sell than a stadium in the centre of Dublin.

Ah they were taking longer breaks between songs than they would have in the past, which does interrupt the flow a bit. Don't get me wrong, when they were on they, were ON, but between songs they had to take significant breathers IMHO.

I could be wrong as it was a long time ago but I wen't to the one in Punchestown and was pretty sure it was sold out. I know we were in the queue at the very early hours of the morning maybe 2-3 am for ticket, some people had slept over night.

I'm pretty sure the that I remember hearing on the radio later in the day (or a few days later) that tickets had sold out. Was an awesome gig, got into the pit and had the time of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Can't compare to ed Sheeran completely different audience. Who were ac/ dc playing to when they were his age?

My point is that I don't think stadiums such as Wembley/Aviva are suitable for low key acoustic acts.

AC/DC are not my favourite band in particular but their numbers work particularly well in those settings and there's something magical about their gigs.

I can't see Sheeran pulling this off in Croker/Wembley. We shall wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭prunudo

Great gig, managed to get into the pit, great crowd around me and didn't see any messy people or overly drunk people.
    Noticed the longer breaks between songs compared to the last time I saw them too.
    One point regarding the bad sound, it appeared Brian was having trouble with his mike or ear piece, he was over at the edge of the stage with the technicians between songs a lot during the first half of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Zwillinge wrote: »
    First time seeing them and loved every moment! :D:D

Proper rock with no BSing about.

Funnily, anyone I spoke to was from the UK and was traveling about to see them. Thankfully there was hardly any phones/cameras/recording every second of the show business.

Can we go again?? :):)

+1. I was really surprised at that tbh - last week at ZZ Top and The Who it was just a sea of people videoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Savage gig!

Was my 3rd time seeing them (MSG 2008 and Punchestown 2009 previously) and I enjoyed it every bit as much as the other 2 times.

I don't think I've ever been at a gig before where everyone was so on the exact same page of wanting to enjoy themselves and have a laugh.

Managed to get a pit pass with absolutely no issue arriving at half six via red route too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

First time seeing them amazing gig, huge energy.
    On a side note if you have a hairy back keep yer shirt on!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Snowchaser wrote: »
    There seemed to be a seriously messy crowd at the concert last night. People getting absolutely destroyed drunk before the concert.

So pretty much the same as every other outdoor concert that's taken place in Ireland since the invention of drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Snowchaser wrote: »

The crowd for the most part were fairly OK, other than a few scumbags up the front with no interest in the music trying to pick fights with people, but there's always going to be a few of those I suppose

Great gig I thought. The boys were well up for it and gave it their best. The highlights for me were Shot Down in Flames and Sin City – I was delighted they played Sin City, brilliant song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

20Cent wrote: »
    First time seeing them amazing gig, huge energy.
    On a side note if you have a hairy back keep yer shirt on!!!!!!!

Just keep your shirt on generally! There was a bunch of lads near me that looked like they were staging a Turkish wrestling tournament.

Thought last night was better than Glasgow on Sunday, probably due to fact that I got into the pit, though. Beano seemed to be more up for it, and as for Angus....

• Advertisement

We're those the guys with their shirts off in Pit A - I remember them - yeah they were acting like twats alright.
    DeeTee100 wrote: »
    The crowd for the most part were fairly OK, other than a few scumbags up the front with no interest in the music trying to pick fights with people, but there's always going to be a few of those I suppose

Advertisement