Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC - July 1st - Aviva Stadium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Acdc for slane 2016 according to the newspapers.

:(:(:(:(:(

i've always vowed never to go see a gig at that kip of a place....but DC.....I really don't know

2016 really could fit though, world tour would be over and if they're gonna retire they'll do huge gigs only, and Slane sure is huge for part of a farewell tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If I had a Euro for every year that I heard that, I'd have about a tenner i reckon as it's been 'rumoured' every year for the past ten years or so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah I wouldn't get carried away just yet, I've never been to Slane before, but it would be worth whatever hardships to see one more performance like that, better Slane than never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Slane would be a disaster for AC/DC. The same way Rodger Water really messed up with The Wall gigs recently.

Gigs to close together. Only the dedicated fans would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The same way Rodger Water really messed up with milked The Wall gigs recently.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

LOL. very true indeed.

But unfortunately the end result would be the same no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

They did, it happens all the time in the aviva concerts. Should've all gone to customer care to complain, that would have been the best shot at being moved - stewards aren't allowed change people's seats.

I know.. That's were I sent them.. I work there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

dubscottie wrote: »
    I know.. That's were I sent them.. I work there :D

Same here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Here's one of my photo's from the gig (6th AC/DC show for me).

282EF6E0A26341B584D5A5FC83FA22F3-0000360871-0003775450-00800L-1490B206875E4953B88721B1E8B21DDE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Slane would be a disaster for AC/DC. The same way Rodger Water really messed up with The Wall gigs recently.

Gigs to close together. Only the dedicated fans would go.

b0ll0x

twud sell out in seconds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

b0ll0x

twud sell out in seconds

I dunno.. I would go back to the Aviva tomorrow for another Ac/Dc gig but I wouldn't go to Slane again for anyone, including Ac/Dc.

The place is a complete nightmare from start to finish. Never again.

Not to mention a fair amount of Ac/Dc's fan base are getting on in the years now, putting them in Slane is just making life difficult all round.

Pointlessly too, it's sh*t when you get there, no advantage to it. It's really not worth the effort at all.

nm wrote: »
    I dunno.. I would go back to the Aviva tomorrow for another Ac/Dc gig but I wouldn't go to Slane again for anyone, including Ac/Dc.

Not to mention a fair amount of Ac/Dc's fan base are getting on in the years now, putting them in Slane is just making life difficult all round.

Pointlessly too, it's sh*t when you get there, no advantage to it. It's really not worth the effort at all.
    seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

b0ll0x

twud sell out in seconds

twon't happen, so there's no point discussing it.

Slane have never taken a gamble with ACDC so in fairness they can f** off now they are a dead cert to sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Has the band said or even hinted that the tour will continue into 2016? If they're not touring, the Slane issue is moot as they're not going to play a one off gig. I'd imagine they will tour South/central America and maybe Japan etc next year but would be surprised if they came back to do European stadiums again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

that has been said every year, for the last 10 years!!
    I'll believe it when its officially announced.
    nm wrote: »

it would sell out very fast, as its Slane. People treat slane as a "day out" and you get lots of "non hardcore" fans. I was there in 09, I was lucky and got out and into the car very fast, had no issues unlike the thousands of others! Id still go back for ACDC though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Slane have never taken a gamble with ACDC so in fairness they can f** off now they are a dead cert to sell out.

Slane gigs are promoted by MCD, who promoted AC/DC last week in the Aviva, as well as the two shows in 2009.

If AC/DC had played Slane at any time over the recent years that it got annually rumoured, it would have been MCD that promoted it and if they do play Slane, I would imagine that it'll be MCD that'll do it.

The actual venue in Slane is fine.

The problem is getting in and out of the Slane area, waiting ages after the gig to leave the areas where the buses are parked, as a result of traffic being slow, buses being required to park a good walking distance away from the venue entrance, either side of the village, and then in the venue queues for toilets, food and bars etc, where people end up missing large sections of the bands onstage while queueing.

Then, if it rains, the thought of having to use the toilets, knowing you're standing in a blend of piss and mud, is not an altogether wholesome realisation!:)

But I guess any venue, in a field, in any town or village outside Dublin - that doesn't have the same road access and public transport options that are available in and out Dublin - will have the same access issues, that any of the gigs in Slane have had.

Slane gigs are promoted by MCD, who promoted AC/DC last week in the Aviva, as well as the two shows in 2009.

If AC/DC had played Slane at any time over the recent years that it got annually rumoured, it would have been MCD that promoted it and if they do play Slane, I would imagine that it'll be MCD that'll do it.

The actual venue in Slane is fine.

The problem is getting in and out of the Slane area, waiting ages after the gig to leave the areas where the buses are parked, as a result of traffic being slow, buses being required to park a good walking distance away from the venue entrance, either side of the village, and then in the venue queues for toilets, food and bars etc, where people end up missing large sections of the bands onstage while queueing.

Then, if it rains, the thought of having to use the toilets, knowing you're standing in a blend of piss and mud, is not an altogether wholesome realisation!:)

But I guess any venue, in a field, in any town or village outside Dublin - that doesn't have the same road access and public transport options that are available in and out Dublin - will have the same access issues, that any of the gigs in Slane have had.
    not sure why you quoted me and brought up MCD....

I think the problem is old people go to gigs moreso now than in the 80's 90's and they can't walk far and hate p1ss.....when slane was in it's hayday all that walking was good fun and added to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I think the problem is old people go to gigs moreso now than in the 80's 90's and they can't walk far and hate p1ss.....when slane was in it's hayday all that walking was good fun and added to the day.

I may be old now, but I can say categorically at no time was there a point in my life where I liked p1ss, either being ankle deep in it or being hit with flying cups of it.

I am still perfectly capable of walking far, however....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

old people go to gigs moreso now ... and they can't walk far and hate p1ss.
    WTF. How old are these people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Enough of this mindless Slane banter, here's another from the Aviva...

7FD9D5A893DA4B02BB945B0E98BE9304-0000360871-0003775452-00800L-9CE52613477045D195321297EA0DF242.jpg

I quoted you because you said that Slane has never taken a gamble with AC/DC and you said that Slane can **** off now with regard to any idea of trying to get AC/DC to play at Slane, suggesting that the organisers of concerts at Slane, have missed their opportunity to get AC/DC to play there.

I mentioned MCD, because MCD have promoted all the gigs at Slane since 1992, so if AC/DC had played Slane in recent years it would have been organised by MCD.

if AC/DC do play Slane in the future, it will most likely be MCD that'll promote it, considering MCD have promoted AC/DC this year as well as in 2009.

Most bands, who come over to Ireland on tours, tend to stick with the same promoter. For example Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen with Aiken Promotions and then U2 with MCD. As far as I know, any of the times the Foo Fighters have played here, since their first time in the SFX in November 1995, it has been with MCD.

When Manowar played The Academy in Dublin in November 2011, promoted by MCD, Joey DeMaio mentioned onstage that it was Denis Desmond and MCD, that brought Manowar to Dublin in 1987.

He also mentioned MCD in this interview with metalireland.com, prior to the gig in the Academy in 2011.

http://www.metalireland.com/2011/10/21/joey-de-maio-manowar-gig-fantastic-value-for-money/

"We’re just going to lift the roof on the place, that’s the plan. We’re working with the same promoter that we worked with in Ireland way back in 1987, Denis Desmond, who’s a good guy, so we’re happy to be back over".

The impression I get is that for the most part, bands tend to stick with the same promoters in each country that they play for each of their tours.

Often, in the programmes available at the merchandise stalls at gigs, the various companies that work with the bands in the organising of the tours, are listed, for example the promoters in each country they play, or the lighting, catering and sound equipment or sound engineering companies.

For example, when Don Williams played the Olympia last year it mentioned in the programme booklet, that the booker of his Irish shows is MCD. The Neil Diamond programme, available at the gig in the 3 Arena last Sunday night also listed MCD as being the promoter of his Irish shows. His Irish shows in recent years; 2005, 2008 and 2011, have been with MCD.

The last two times ZZ Top played Ireland, it was held in the Marquee Cork; last month, and two years ago, both Aiken gigs.

Richard Thompson has played Vicar Street a good many times over recent years, all Aiken gigs, as far as I know.

There are some exceptions where bands have played here on different tours, with Aiken one year, or MCD the next, for example Bon Jovi have been here in recent years with both promoters.

In 2008 they played Punchestown with MCD. in 2011, they played two nights in the RDS with Aiken and then in 2013 they played Slane with MCD.

All the gigs Roger Waters has done in Ireland, in Dublin and Cork, since 2002 was with Aiken, except for the Aviva Stadium gig in September 2013, when it was an MCD gig.

The Eagles have played Ireland since they reformed in 1994/1995, with both promoters.

When Tom Petty played in 2012, he played the O2 Dublin with MCD and The Marquee Cork with Aiken. Similarly, when The Who played Ireland in 2007, it was with MCD in Marlay Park, and with Aiken in The Marquee, Cork.

If the opportunity to bring AC/DC to Slane had arisen over recent years, I reckon it would have happened.

It's not like Henry Mountcharles has objected to having AC/DC play Slane.

I quoted you because you said that Slane has never taken a gamble with AC/DC and you said that Slane can **** off now with regard to any idea of trying to get AC/DC to play at Slane, suggesting that the organisers of concerts at Slane, have missed their opportunity to get AC/DC to play there.

I mentioned MCD, because MCD have promoted all the gigs at Slane since 1992, so if AC/DC had played Slane in recent years it would have been organised by MCD.

if AC/DC do play Slane in the future, it will most likely be MCD that'll promote it, considering MCD have promoted AC/DC this year as well as in 2009.

Most bands, who come over to Ireland on tours, tend to stick with the same promoter. For example Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen with Aiken Promotions and then U2 with MCD. As far as I know, any of the times the Foo Fighters have played here it was with MCD.

When Manowar played The Academy in Dublin in November 2011, promoted by MCD, Joey DeMaio mentioned onstage that it was Denis Desmond and MCD, that brought Manowar to Dublin in 1987.

He also mentioned MCD in this interview with metalireland.com, prior to the gig in the Academy in 2011.

http://www.metalireland.com/2011/10/21/joey-de-maio-manowar-gig-fantastic-value-for-money/

"We’re just going to lift the roof on the place, that’s the plan. We’re working with the same promoter that we worked with in Ireland way back in 1987, Denis Desmond, who’s a good guy, so we’re happy to be back over".

The impression I get is that for the most part, bands tend to stick with the same promoters in each country that they play for each of their tours.

Often, in the programmes available at the merchandise stalls at gigs, the various companies that work with the bands in the organising of the tours, are listed, for example the promoters in each country they play, or the lighting, catering and sound equipment or sound engineering companies.

For example, when Don Williams played the Olympia last year it mentioned in the programme booklet, that the bookers of his Irish shows is MCD. The Neil Diamond programme, available at the gig in the 3 Arena last Sunday night also listed MCD as being the promoter of his Irish shows. His Irish shows in recent years, 2005, 2008 and 2012, have been with MCD.

The last two times ZZ Top played Ireland it was in the Marquee Cork, last month and two years ago, both Aiken gigs.

Richard Thompson has played Vicar Street a good many times over recent years, all Aiken gigs.

There are some exceptions where bands have played here on different tours with Aiken one year, or MCD the next, for example Bon Jovi have been here in recent years with both promoters.

In 2008 they played Punchestown with MCD. in 2011, they played two nights in the RDS with Aiken and then in 2013 they played Slane with MCD.

All the gigs Roger Waters has done in Ireland, in Dublin and Cork, since 2002 was with Aiken, except for the Aviva Stadium gig in September 2013, when it was an MCD gig.

The Eagles have played Ireland since they reformed in 1994/1995, with both promoters.

When Tom Petty played in 2012, he played the O2 Dublin with MCD and The Marquee Cork with Aiken. Similarly, in 2007 when The Who played Ireland in 2007, it was with MCD in Marlay Park and The Marquee Cork with Aiken.

If the opportunity to bring AC/DC to Slane had arisen over recent years, I reckon it would have happened.

It's not like Henry Mountcharles has objected to having AC/DC play Slane.
    yes but Slane castle are involved too

yes but Slane castle are involved too

What are you suggesting that representatives of Slane Castle are saying, with regard to the idea of AC/DC playing there?

I very much doubt if anyone representing Slane Castle has specifically objected to AC/DC playing Slane.

It'd sell much better than a lot of the gigs that have been held at Slane over the years. Not all the Slane gigs over the years have sold out, for example Stereophonics in 2003, Madonna in 2004, Bon Jovi in 2013 or Foo Fighters this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd say for the promoters of several gigs during the summer it all comes down to economics and profit margins of where to put which band they are promoting. Also I'd imagine hosting a gig in Slane means paying a lot more Gardai than hosting one in Croker does, there's way more road blocks and traffic to manage in Slane than with a gig in Croker/Landsdowne. You've also gotta think a Slane gig means hiring hundreds if not 1000+ portaloos, wiring the entire site for sound, big screens, etc, infrastructure that is already in place in stadium venues. So while Slane offers the promoter the chance of a big payday with an 80,000 sell out show it also has higher costs to stage an actual one off gig, a hell of a lot more organisation and extra man hours are needed to put it on.

Perhaps putting on AC/DC at Slane would have meant an 80,000 sell out. But perhaps older people would have stayed away due to the hassle and it was better to put on the Foo Fighters at Slane for a younger crowd who dont mind the conditions as much and would go there hail, rain or shine. Then if its a cracking sunny day perhaps an extra 10,000 on the day will decide to head and grab a ticket outside.

I don't know for sure, just speculating here. But I think some people have this love of Slane that makes them think all the big bands *want* to play there. I'm not so sure that's true, some of these bands that tour the world barely have a clue what country they're playing in from one day to the next and once they're making some serious wedge they likely couldn't care less either IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭griffin100

Would AC/DC sell out Slane given that they didn't sell out Puncherstown in 2009 and there were still tickets available for last weeks gig on the day?

I always said AC/DC would be the only band to get me to Slane but I dunno now, I'm too old!!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    Would AC/DC sell out Slane given that they didn't sell out Puncherstown in 2009 and there were still tickets available for last weeks gig on the day?

I always said AC/DC would be the only band to get me to Slane but I dunno now, I'm too old!!!

The demand is still there for them to play places as big as Slane, considering the Aviva sold out.

There were no tickets available through ticketmaster's site since the day they went on sale before Christmas and sold out, except until nearer to the date of the gig. If it had not sold so well so quickly, tickets would have been available through ticketmaster's website all throughout the time they went on sale last December until the day of the gig.

I think the tickets that were on sale for the Aviva on the day, were odd tickets, in that there weren't that many available for long periods of time. Early last week, some people on this forum spoke about getting standing tickets, by chance, by checking ticketmaster's site, but later the same day, someone else would check and by that stage, the standing tickets would no longer be available.

Were these tickets that became available, in the days before the gig, and on the day, tickets that were held back by the promoter for guests, or corporate tickets that were held back for companies, that ended up not being used, which then went back on sale, but this time generally to the public, through ticketmaster?

It mentions on the Aviva Stadium site, that there are hospitality and corporate box ticket options, for concerts as well as for rugby and soccer events. I don't know, but I guess for any event that takes place there, there is a certain amount of tickets not released on general sale.

If there is a certain amount of tickets held back from the general sale, I guess there's no way of knowing, months in advance of the date of concerts or sporting events, how many of these corporate or hospitality tickets will actually end up being used?

http://www.avivastadium.ie/stadium-info/tickets

So, maybe if they are not used in the days before the gigs, perhaps they are then put on general sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

griffin100 wrote: »

that was done by MCD to stop touts selling tickets for an over the top price outside the Aviva. I think it sold out in around 90 mins in december when thery went on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

that was done by MCD to stop touts selling tickets for an over the top price outside the Aviva. I think it sold out in around 90 mins in december when thery went on sale.

Are you 100% sure of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

symbolic wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure of this ?

I have my doubts. MCD couldn't give a f*ck as long as they are sold.

I definitely don't think would not risk leaving some tickets left over that people might not find, just to sting touts. Sure touted later down the line or not, TM and MCD have been paid either way.

Advertisement