Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runs End, Running Doesn’t

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

W/C 12/01/2015

Monday 12/01 – AM
    Run: 3.15km (2 Mile) (20 min) – Treadmill: Easy Run [Speed 9.5 to 10.5 km, Gradient: 1]
    Gym Routine: Arms & Core (40 mins)

Legs feeling good after long run yesterday, no tiredness or soreness which is great. Back into the routine of getting up early too which is a plus.

Tuesday 13/01 – AM
    Spin Class (40 mins)

Hadn’t done a spin class since xmass week so feel that bit tougher this morning. I know that I should stick to the running, but I really find that this pushes me when motivation is a bit low

Tuesday – PM
    Toning Class (45 Min)

Much more manageable class this evening which was great, last week spend until about Friday walking around like John Wayne! Again plenty of weighted squats and lunges so should help the legs overall.

Wednesday 14/01 – PM
    Run: Treadmill Interval Run
    Gradient: 1%
    Time: 40 min
    Distance: 6.5km

10min W/U @ 10 km/h
    Int 1: 3 mins @ 10.5 km/h, 1.5 min @ 12.5 km/h
    Int: 2 & 3: 3 mins @ 9.5 km/h, 1.5 min @ 12.5 km/h
    Break: 1.5m @ 6 km/h, 3 min @ 9 km/h
    Int: 4: 3 mins @ 9.5 km/h, 1.5 min @ 12.5 km/h
    Int 5: 3 mins @ 9 km/h, 1.5 min @13 km/h
    3 min C/D @ 9 km/h

Again with the weather! Woke up this morning to go for a run & the place was totally covered in snow so though it best to give it a miss as it was 6am & didn’t know what the footpaths would be like. Packed my gear so figured if it was the same this evening would hit for the gym instead, otherwise get out for a few miles.

By the time home time rolled around the gale force winds had well & truly arrived, so headed in the gym to attempt an interval run. Before DCM training last year used to do these intervals twice a week and enjoyed them, but its been that long since I even attempted an interval run didn’t know how I would fair. After the first interval I knew I was in trouble. Had to pull the speed of the slower interval down from 10.5 to 9.5 and after 3 had to take a quick walk break to gear myself up again. Managed another 2 intervals so 5 in total, out of 8. I have done various versions of this run, but not since about August of last year, & I think this one is just a bit too much. But will stick with it once a week, aim to do 6 intervals next week & see how I get on.

Thursday 15/01 – AM
    Gym Routine: Legs & Core, including 10 mins wu on stepper (60 mins)

Legs felt tried from last nights interval run but that is to be expected.

Aim to get a run tomorrow, either am or pm. Was thinking about doing a run Saturday morning & then going to the gym for a toning class but will play it by ear. Sunday morning will do a long run all going well ,or might swop around Sat & Sun around, will decide tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great work! I actually think it's much harder to do intervals on a treadmill, so you'll be flying outdoors once this crazy weather sorts itself out. Any races planned ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great work! I actually think it's much harder to do intervals on a treadmill, so you'll be flying outdoors once this crazy weather sorts itself out. Any races planned ?

Cheers! It was one of the toughest things I have done in a while, but I know I will feel the benefits of it so gotta stick with it! I feel like a bit of a wuss heading to the gym rather than just getting outside to run, hopefully weather will pick up a bit soon & can get back out there! I do think I will stick to doing the intervals on the treadmill for a few weeks anyhow.

Have signed up for the Raheny 5 Mile, have to say dont feel very prepared for it, but just doing it for the race experience at the moment & test myself at a shorter distance. Half thinking of doing the Rathcoffey 10km as its close by but jury is still out on that one, and then aiming to do a Half in March, between either Kinvara, Bohermeen or Mullingar, and after that will see!!

How about you, how are the 2015 race plans coming along?!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Have signed up for the Raheny 5 Mile, have to say dont feel very prepared for it, but just doing it for the race experience at the moment & test myself at a shorter distance. Half thinking of doing the Rathcoffey 10km as its close by but jury is still out on that one, and then aiming to do a Half in March, between either Kinvara, Bohermeen or Mullingar, and after that will see!!

There's a lot of talk on here about Rathcoffey, must consider it for next year. Have to admit I'd never heard of it before and had to google it :o
    Half in March sounds good, plenty of choice too. I'm hoping to be in shape for a half towards the end of the year, maybe November, but I think I'd kill myself if I went for it any earlier :o. Will stick with the shorter stuff for now, and work towards a decent 5K (probably Tallaght AC in early May). Best of luck in Raheny. Can't wait to read everyone's race reports :)

There's a lot of talk on here about Rathcoffey, must consider it for next year. Have to admit I'd never heard of it before and had to google it :o
    Half in March sounds good, plenty of choice too. I'm hoping to be in shape for a half towards the end of the year, maybe November, but I think I'd kill myself if I went for it any earlier :o. Will stick with the shorter stuff for now, and work towards a decent 5K (probably Tallaght AC in early May). Best of luck in Raheny. Can't wait to read everyone's race reports :)

Ya Rathcoffey seems to be really popular, I have played camogie there before hence how I know it, didnt have a clue they had a 10k until recently when a tonne of signs went up around the area and everyone on here was talking about it!

Loving reading your log, your pace is really impressive, I feel like I am just chugging along. In two minds about what to train for at the minute but will carry on regardless, might become clearer after a few weeks or so.

Very best of luck with your training and the upcoming 5k, bring on the PB's!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

There seems to be a few of us doing raheny - maybe we could put faces to usernames after the race? I assume the club are having some sort of post race refreshments? The club races usually do.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    There seems to be a few of us doing raheny - maybe we could put faces to usernames after the race? I assume the club are having some sort of post race refreshments? The club races usually do.

Sounds like a plan, would be lovely to meet up with fellow boardsies & meet people in real life, def up for that!

Great idea. Raheny always put on a good spread - and of course there's the goody bag to eat too :D Unfortunately I have to head home straight after the race as I've guests coming, otherwise I'd love to meet up.

Friday 16/01 - PM
    Distance: 4 Miles - Easy
    Time: 41:07
    Av Pace: 10:17
    Av HR: 147 bpm

Was dying to get out for a few miles as it was actually dry for the first time all week and as I finish a bit earlier on a Friday changed at work and went straight out. Legs felt fresh so had to consciously slow myself down as I was planning a long run in the morning. Caught the last of the light so was lovely to not be running in dark for once, and lovely crisp clear evening with no wind, perfect for running. Lovely end to the working week.

Saturday 17/01 - AM
    Distance: 10.15 Miles - LSR
    Time: 01:45:09
    Av Pace: 10:21
    Av HR: 155 bpm

Was up early but footpaths looked pretty frosty so headed out about 10 or so once the sun was out. The majority was starting to thaw but it was slippery in sheltered spots so had to keep an eye out. Legs felt a bit tired, I am guessing from the evening before, but moved along nicely & again gorgeous day for a run, cold but seriously bright for the duration. Did the same loop as last week. Marginally quicker than last week with same HR so right on target. I must be a bit of a weirdo but just love being back doing the long runs, especially on a day like today, great for just a bit of time to myself and have a good think, and a bit of a de-stress after the week at work, think I am getting a bit soft!

Tomorrow might go for a swim or a few easy few miles to stretch out the legs but will take it easy enough. Next week hoping for a better week weather wise & get out running earlier in the week, and again get some kind of session, either indoor or outdoor done mid week.

Sunday 18/01

Rest Day – Just went for a quick half hour swim yesterday morning, then hit the Jacuzzi & sauna (the real reasons for my trip to the pool!). I find that this really helps with any stiffness or soreness in my legs, plus I just love the Jacuzzi, could spend the day in there no problem!

Total Weekly Mileage: 20

Missed a run due to crap weather which is my own fault really, goal for this week…TOUGHEN UP!! I am just a bit caught as I do most of my runs before work (6-6.15am)so when it is super frosty can be a bit dodgy on the paths at that hour, but if weather gets worse treadmill might feature to keep the running up, least I have the option. Doing Raheny on Sunday but really for the race practice and to get back into the swing of things so wont be stressing too much about it. Plan for the week is similar to last week, no lsr at the weekend due to race so want to get in 3 decent runs early in the week.

W/C 19/01

Monday– AM

Cross Trainer WU (15 Min)
    Spin Class (45 Min)

Great spin class this morning, seriously tough but legs feeling good, am def awake this Monday morning after it anyhow!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 20/01 – AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Wednesday 21/01 – AM
    Stationary Bike (20 mins), Arms & Core (40 mins)

Running at the moment = 0 :( Im gutted, last week could feel a twinge in my knee & I guess I just ignored it, assuming it was something minor. I think I overdid it on Wed doing the interval run, and the running Fri eve followed by Sat morn, I make the obvious error of increasing the running too much too quickly, and am paying for it now! Legs felt a little bit tired Sun & Mon but that was to be expected really, nothing to worry about. Decided to do a new HIIT class yesterday morning with a plan of running in the evening. A few minutes into the class got a pain in my right knee, and a tonne of squats & lunges didn’t help matters. It is the same pain I got before, nothing to worry about I am hoping, just think it is overdoing it on the running front too much too soon, probably poor running form & in particular heel striking which I don’t know how to stop, & need to continue to strengthen up my glutes etc. Anyhow the outcome is laying off on the running for the week to see if it will rectify itself, otherwise might go to the physio. I took it handy today, just did 20 minutes on the bike which felt fine, and then focused on arms and core stuff for the remainder.

Will play it by ear about Raheny but at this minute it is probably not looking good. Bit gutted but as long as it gets better then hopefully will be back to normal next week, there will be other races I am sure!!

Anyone have any advice on improving running form, in particular heel striking? I try to change my running technique but it is SO difficult, trying to think about it all the time is impossible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

:( Clearlier always has great advice, maybe copy your post and post on the graduates thread? For me, running tall with a slight whole body lean (not from the waist) helps, combined with a frequent cadence/stride rhythm as opposed to over-striding. When I'm tired, I always straighten up and chop my stride but try to keep the rhythm/turnover at a fast or choppy level. Hope that makes sense! If you do the whole tall body lean correctly, you will find that you will naturally strike on the mid foot, it's actually impossible (or virtually) to heel strike. Good luck and hope it all goes away :)

Will play it by ear about Raheny but at this minute it is probably not looking good. Bit gutted but as long as it gets better then hopefully will be back to normal next week, there will be other races I am sure!!

Anyone have any advice on improving running form, in particular heel striking? I try to change my running technique but it is SO difficult, trying to think about it all the time is impossible!!!

Sorry to hear, hopefully it'll improve in time for Sunday but as you say there's no shortage of races so no need to put yourself under pressure.

+1 to what Dubgal said about running tall and shortening your stride. Maybe get someone to video you at the beginning and then at the end of a run so you can see where/if the changes occur in your form when you're tired ? Continue working on your core strength/stability as this will definitely help your form without having to think about it all the time (which is impossible, I agree!).

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    :( Clearlier always has great advice, maybe copy your post and post on the graduates thread? For me, running tall with a slight whole body lean (not from the waist) helps, combined with a frequent cadence/stride rhythm as opposed to over-striding. When I'm tired, I always straighten up and chop my stride but try to keep the rhythm/turnover at a fast or choppy level. Hope that makes sense! If you do the whole tall body lean correctly, you will find that you will naturally strike on the mid foot, it's actually impossible (or virtually) to heel strike. Good luck and hope it all goes away :)
    Sorry to hear, hopefully it'll improve in time for Sunday but as you say there's no shortage of races so no need to put yourself under pressure.

+1 to what Dubgal said about running tall and shortening your stride. Maybe get someone to video you at the beginning and then at the end of a run so you can see where/if the changes occur in your form when you're tired ? Continue working on your core strength/stability as this will definitely help your form without having to think about it all the time (which is impossible, I agree!).

Thanks a mill for the advice, even looking at any of the race pics of myself I know my form is a bit weird to say the least, and heel striking is def an issue. I think I am trying to lean from my waist rather than whole body so cheers for the advice Dubgal. I think running slowly and really thinking about what way I am holding myself may help, and will see if the super knowledgeable Clearlier can offer some words of wisdom. Great idea too Bungy Girl on the video idea, never thought of that, def get sloppier the more tired I get. Great advice all round!

Will see about Sunday but there will be lots of races, don’t want to aggravate this any further. I am also wondering about my runners, got them in Sept and my mileage has been low, figure I am just up to 300 miles ish now, but have been wearing them in the gym most days too. Actually have a new pair I haven’t started wearing as yet so might see if that helps next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah no, an injury!
    What a fantastic introduction and determination with all your sessions so far. Very impressive and well done. I hope you are ok. I'm sorry to read that.

I have just come across your log as was pondering starting my own as noticed my moan on the Graduate thread sparked me to run on Monday evening so I can see how logging now can motivate.

I hope you are ok and get to do and enjoy Raheny.

looking at any of the race pics of myself

Aaarrgh those race pics :o Guaranteed to catch you off guard and looking less than your best :D. If I ever find a decent photo of me running I'll buy 20 poster size prints and plaster them all over the house.

aquinn wrote: »
    Ah no, an injury!
    What a fantastic introduction and determination with all your sessions so far. Very impressive and well done. I hope you are ok. I'm sorry to read that.

I have just come across your log as was pondering starting my own as noticed my moan on the Graduate thread sparked me to run on Monday evening so I can see how logging now can motivate.

I hope you are ok and get to do and enjoy Raheny.

Cheers aquinn,

Ah hopefully it is nothing serious all going well, just gotta be a bit smart about it, when really I just want to ignore it and keep going!

I spotted your post over the graduate thread, I found that after DCM I wasnt great on the running front, November just seemed to fly by. Continued with the gym which I found a really help, especially with the dark and cold mornings and evenings. Keep me ticking away which was the main thing.

At Christmas didnt have access to the gym so it forced it out running & remembered just how much I enjoy it so glad to get back into it again. I think I am someone who needs a goal to work towards otherwise get a bit complacent so trying to pick out upcoming races to keep me on track.

Definitely start your own training log DO IT! I have no idea who is interested in reading my ramblings & extremely slow running endeavours but I find it absolutely brilliant for advice and motivation, and also will be great to look back in 6 months and see that yes I have done a decent amount over the last while etc.

Also best of luck in the gym, I have to admit I really enjoy both running and the gym, and hope to strike a good balance between the two this year.

Looking forward to reading your log :D

Aaarrgh those race pics :o Guaranteed to catch you off guard and looking less than your best :D. If I ever find a decent photo of me running I'll buy 20 poster size prints and plaster them all over the house.

Amen to that! Each and every race picture of me my eyes are closed (starting to wonder if I ever run with my eyes open at this stage!), I have the weirdest expressions on my face, and my running form looks just awful, ALWAYS with a heel striking the ground!! If I ever get a good once will be printing it out in a similar size to the one Fr. Dougal got done of Bishop Brennan getting kicked up the arse!!

Thursday 22/01
    Stationary Bike (30 mins), Arms & Core (30 mins)

Borrrrring stationary bike, but keeping the legs ticking over! Was tempted to try a run but said would take it handy for another day.

Friday 23/01 – AM
    Distance: 3.6 Miles – Easy
    Time: 37:40
    Av Pace: 10:29
    Av HR: 147

Headed off this morning in the rain for a couple of very easy miles to test out the knee. Decided to keep it very short, and promised myself that if I felt anything not right would turn back. Took it very handy, especially at the start, and happy to report knee felt fine, no pain at all. Right hamstring still feels a little bit sore, think I might have strained it a bit during the class on Tuesday when I felt my knee was sore, or maybe the knee pain was from my hamstring, really I am not sure. But all in all glad to be back running. Will built up very slowly and just do everything very easy for the time being, and continue in the gym. Also want to start the 30 day challenge and stick to it properly.

Don’t think Raheny is a good idea, I am still playing it by ear, but if I do decided to do it will be just taking it easy and not looking for a good time. I don’t know if I trust myself as in a race situation it will be very easy to get caught up in the crowd and running faster than I should, so prob the best decision would be to give it a miss, but will see!

All the best to everyone doing Raheny, cant wait to read all the exciting race reports of PB's!!! :p

Sat, Sun, Mon – No Training

Bit of a nightmare few days. Saturday was sick for the day so nothing got done. Had half a notion of doing Raheny on Sunday just as a training run, but my tooth had other ideas, awful tooth ache all day Sunday, so trip to dentist on Monday to get sorted, thankfully all sorted now & feeling normal again!

Tuesday 27/01 – AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Tuesday 27/01 – PM
    Distance: 5.72 mi
    Time: 53:06
    Av Pace: 9:17 min/mi
    Av HR: 159 bpm

Splits : 8:55, 8:52, 9:38, 9:34, 9:26, 6:38

Felt like I was gone off the radar on the running front, just felt like I didn’t know what I was doing, not following any plan in particular, couldn’t decide what other races I wanted to sign up for, basically head all over the shop. Had thought about joining a running club before xmass but never actually did anything about it, so got a notion yesterday it was time to pull the finger out and give it a go. Figured it couldn’t hurt, and nice to see what it is all about.

So off I went along to a local club yesterday evening, and have to say thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a small group of runners, doing various distances. Didn’t really know what to expect and in my head though it was going to be a lots of very fast people & I would be left for dust. We set off on a planned 10km loop and ended up running with a really friendly guy who chatted away for the duration & I quizzed him on all things running. It’s funny to think that I have never actually run with anyone else before, obv in a race there are other folk about, but all my training have been on my own. Found that the miles flew by last night and it didn’t feel like a struggle to keep going. The first two miles felt a bit fast so going into the third mile asked if we could slow a little and after that maintained the pace. Had my watch on so knew the first 2 miles were about 9min/m, so dropped to 9:30 after that. Have to say thoroughly enjoyed it, was lovely to chat away as didn’t feel the time going, and was really surprised that I could maintain that pace, as all my own running is done a lot slower than that. I didn’t feel like I was killing myself, and was able to hold a conversation throughout, albeit a little breathless. The average pace was 9:17min/m which I have to say am very happy with indeed! Legs feel fine today thankfully, little tired but no issue with knee etc, will do plenty of foam rolling later.

Great to feel like I have a purpose again, hoping to get out on Saturday with them again and see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Delighted to hear you took the plunge, and more importantly that you enjoyed it! You'll find it makes a huge difference all round :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear you took the plunge, and more importantly that you enjoyed it! You'll find it makes a huge difference all round :)

Cheers! Ya duno why I had built it up so much in my head, everyone was really lovely and friendly and willing to offer advice and help, looking forward to the next one already!

Sounds great Mimojo. It's brilliant to train with like-minded people and no doubt it'll help you pick out a couple of races to focus on if know you'll have support and/or clubmates at them.

Glad the knee's feeling ok too! Welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Good sign if you're looking forward to the next one already!

Sounds great Mimojo. It's brilliant to train with like-minded people and no doubt it'll help you pick out a couple of races to focus on if know you'll have support and/or clubmates at them.

Glad the knee's feeling ok too! Welcome back :)
    Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Good sign if you're looking forward to the next one already!

Thanks guys, ya have to say really enjoyed it & feel like I have gotten my mojo back again! Just nice to be out with others, never realised the different it would make tbh. Will still keep tipping away on my own, but will be nice to even do one or two sessions a week with the group, will see how I get on anyhow. Now to the Run Ireland website to suss out the next goal! Any suggestions??! Am thinking maybe a 10km, have never done one and would be a nice short term goal to get me started off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks guys, ya have to say really enjoyed it & feel like I have gotten my mojo back again! Just nice to be out with others, never realised the different it would make tbh. Will still keep tipping away on my own, but will be nice to even do one or two sessions a week with the group, will see how I get on anyhow. Now to the Run Ireland website to suss out the next goal! Any suggestions??! Am thinking maybe a 10km, have never done one and would be a nice short term goal to get me started off

K-Club 10k in early?/mid? April has a great reputation for being fast and flat.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77964326

Ososlo wrote: »
    K-Club 10k in early?/mid? April has a great reputation for being fast and flat. Last year's thread here

Cheers for that, good timing too, April would be a good time to build up to a race from now. Your log is brilliant by the way, serious mileage & pace, I'm in awe, really enjoying reading it!

+1 to the K-Club. I haven't done it myself but heard great things so it's on the list for this year. And maybe the Sportworld 5 in May to make up for missing Raheny ?

+1 to the K-Club. I haven't done it myself but heard great things so it's on the list for this year. And maybe the Sportworld 5 in May to make up for missing Raheny ?

Hadnt heard of the sportsworld one so cheers for that, looks good too, and good timing in May, esp after missing Raheny. Might meet you at the K Club one then all going well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Hadnt heard of the sportsworld one so cheers for that, looks good too, and good timing in May, esp after missing Raheny. Might meet you at the K Club one then all going well!

The Dunboyne 4 Mile is on Sunday 29th March, might be nice to do that distance if you decide to do Sportsworld in May, tho might be too close to the K Club...it's a great race though! (Yeah, you guessed it, I'm a member of Dunboyne AC so a bit biased :o)

Advertisement