Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runs End, Running Doesn’t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Friday 06/03 – Rest

Was ment to be a gym morning, but turned into a “press snooze 8 million times & rush around like a headless chicken trying to get ready in two minutes before work” kinda morning instead! Everyone at work has a cold and Friday morning was starting to feel like I was getting a touch of one too, damn co workers!

Saturday 07/03 – Easy - AM
    Distance: 6.28 mi
    Time: 01:04:33
    Av Pace: 10:17 min/m
    Av HR: 151 bpm

Braced the howling wind & rain of the wHest this morning with a trip around Castlebar as down visiting the inlaws. Absolutely rotten morning, got completely and utterly soaked and it was really warm and muggy too and had about 40 layers on so all on all not very enjoyable but glad to get it done all the same. Had planning on doing something a wee bit longer but mis judged the distance of the loop I had picked and was so glad to see home that I just ran inside instead!

Sunday 08/03 – Steady - AM
    Distance: 4.5 mi
    Time: 42:13
    Av Pace: 9:23 min/m
    Av HR: 155 bpm

As they say what a difference a day makes. Had an early this start this morning dropping Mr Mimo to the airport and heading on home. Got a rubbish sleep last night as spent most of it coughing, thing I have def caught that cold going around work, but doesn’t seem to be anything too serious. Got home and planning on a day of catching up on box sets, mass cooking for a busy week again and some cleaning, but couldn’t not go running today, what a day! Bright, sunny and warm, absolutely gorg! Headed off down the canal, a route I haven’t done since last summer as can only really be done in day light and absolutely loved it. Right leg is still a bit tight so more foam rolling on the cards for today, but nothing too serious. Really enjoyed this, makes me remember what is like to run in weather that is not cold and cramp, bring on tshirt weather!!

Looking forward to a mug of tea and catching up on all the race reports on here later on. Happy Sunday running all:cool:

Monday 09/03 – AM
    Row (5), Adductors & Abductors (10)
    Spin Class (40 mins)

Tuesday 10/03 - AM
    Cross Trainer (10)
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Build up circuit – 6 exercises x 30sec w/15 sec rest / all w/ 4kg dumbbells
    2 build up circuits, 1 full circuit
    1) Walking burpies with shoulder press, 2) Standing obelisk twists, 3) Squat jacks, 4) Mountain climbers, 5) Lunges, 6) Jack knife sit ups

Tuesday 10/03 – Steady - PM
    Distance: 4.07 mi
    Time: 40:27
    Av Pace: 9:57 min/m
    Splits: 10:10, 9:41, 10:29, 9:29

Nice handy 4 miler this evening, small group as many had raced at the weekend, but enjoyable all the same, and finished strong.

Wednesday 11/03 – Rest

Generally would have done gym on a Wednesday evening but in anticipation of going along to club session Thurs eve said I would be sensible and take a rest day so the legs might be somewhat ready for what faced me!!

Thursday 12/03 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

5 complete circuits – 7 exercises x 30sec w/10 sec rest / w/10kg barbell
    1) Barbell front squat, 2) Upright row, 3) Push Ups, 4) Power lunges, 5) Barbell squats with shoulder press, 6) Mountain climbers, 7) Bend over row

Thursday 12/03 – Club Session – PM
    2*400m w/u, 3* 4x400m (1 mile) @ 8:30 min/m w/ 2min, 3min & 4min breaks, 2*400m @ pace, 2*400 c/d
    Distance: 4:68 mi
    Time: 40:31
    Av Pace: 8:39 min/m
    Av HR: 167 bpm
    Splits: 8:45, 8:26, 8:35, 8:21, 6:24

Finally went to a club session! Duno what I was so worried about, I guess I just didn’t really know what to expect & was afraid I wouldn’t actually be able to do it I suppose. But can report I actually *almost* enjoyed it!

Started with 2 w/u laps and then went with the group doing 4*4 laps @ 8:30 min/m pace. Just aimed to keep with the pacer as best I could, think I found the first one the toughest as I kept thinking “oh god there are so many more to go!”. But settled into it, and was happy that I was able to keep up for the session and complete all laps. The final 4 laps was flat out for 2 laps and 2 laps c/d, really had no idea what pace I could hold for 2 laps so think I went off too fast and nearly died coming into the end of the 2nd lap, and then 2 c/d laps and some stretching.

Found it pretty tough overall, but do-able, and really feel like I am going to feel the benefit of it if I stick with it. Really helpful to run with a group, it takes the thinking out of it really, just follow the person at the front.

Was very happy afterwards to have one under my belt, and looking forward to next week already. Also slept like a log last night after it!

Hoping to get out for a few very easy miles after work, and planning to go out tomorrow morning all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Mimojo wrote: »

Build up circuit – 6 exercises x 30sec w/15 sec rest / all w/ 4kg dumbbells
    2 build up circuits, 1 full circuit
    1) Walking burpies with shoulder press, 2) Standing obelisk twists, 3) Squat jacks, 4) Mountain climbers, 5) Lunges, 6) Jack knife sit ups

5 complete circuits – 7 exercises x 30sec w/10 sec rest / w/10kg barbell
    1) Barbell front squat, 2) Upright row, 3) Push Ups, 4) Power lunges, 5) Barbell squats with shoulder press, 6) Mountain climbers, 7) Bend over row

The above is a completely foreign language to me which I think translates into pain!

Nice split on the last 800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great session, Mimojo! I'm with Bulmers, the rest of your week was too scary to think about :)

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    The above is a completely foreign language to me which I think translates into pain!

Nice split on the last 800
    annapr wrote: »
    Great session, Mimojo! I'm with Bulmers, the rest of your week was too scary to think about :)

LOL! The HIIT classes are kinda like the track session, feel awful when you are doing them, but great when finished, and they are short and snappy - get in, get tortured, get out!!

Saturday 14/03 – Easy - AM
    Distance: 6 mi
    Time: 01:03:05
    Av Pace: 10:31 min/m

Had hoped to get out yesterday evening for a few easy miles but my sis called in & ended up going for for dinner instead. Was planning to do something a bit longer this morning but legs weren't having any of it, felt tired and heavy, assuming it is from Thurs eve, so decided to keep it very easy. Picked up a bit after about 3.5 miles, but when I got to 6 I decided to call it a day. Had parked the car & planned a route around as I didn't know how far I would manage, glad I did now, but I did end up running up and down past the car 3 times at the end to get the distance up to 6, Im sure if anyone was watching they though I was for the funny farm! Nice to have miles in first thing, have a million and one thing to do today so figured I wouldn't get out a change to get out later on. Happy weekend running all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Have you borrowed DG's time machine?? :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Have you borrowed DG's time machine?? :)

LOL:D Obv Im not fully awake yet!!

Saturday 14/03 – PM
    Camogie Training (1 hour)

W/C 16/03

Monday 16/03 – Steady - PM
    Distance: 4 mi
    Time: 38:05
    Av Pace: 9:31 min/m
    Av HR: 159 bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Saturday 14/03 – PM
    Camogie Training (1 hour)

W/C 16/03

Monday 16/03 – Steady - PM
    Time: 38:05
    Av HR: 159 bpm

Great pace on the 4 miler! Your times seem to be falling nicely :-) Looking good for the k club assuming you still doing it ?

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great pace on the 4 miler! Your times seem to be falling nicely :-) Looking good for the k club assuming you still doing it ?

Cheeers BG, ya target race at the mo is the K Club, it is giving me something to aim for which is great. Dont know what to aim for yet, hoping to maintain a 9:30 min/mile or a bit faster, will see how it goes!!

Tuesday 17/03 & Wednesday 18/03

Went out Monday night to celebrate Mr Mimo’s “big” birthday & Paddy’s day…and ended up drinking THE ENTIRE TOWN! For the past two years I have really cut down on the amount I drink, and I guess I am pretty conscious about it, but find now that on the rare occasion that I do go out drinking I a) completely loose the run of myself and drink any concoction that is put before me and b) end up dying a slow and painful death for days after!! So that is where those two days went, and Thursday morning... into the abyss!!

Thursday 19/03 – Steady - PM
    Time: 38:20
    Av Pace: 9:35 min/m
    Av HR: 149 bpm
    Splits: 9:54, 9:43, 9:07, 9:36

Going with the above decided that the club track session was not a good plan for this week. Was annoyed with myself as I enjoyed it so much last week had been really looking forward to it, but I knew the way I was feeling I wasn’t going to be up for it. Went out for a 4 miler instead, found it tough going, especially trying to maintain any kind of pace in mile 3, so called it a day. Also looked at the stats my HR was completely erratic, it was up and down for the entire run, I am wondering if that is to do with last few days or just a dodgy hr reading.

Friday 20/03 – AM
    Cross trainer WU (15 mins)
    Spin (40 mins)

Finally feeling like a human again, yippee! No more drink for a very long time thank you very much!

Also looked at the stats my HR was completely erratic, it was up and down for the entire run, I am wondering if that is to do with last few days or just a dodgy hr reading.

It could have something to do with it all right. I don't wear a HR monitor but I know my resting HR would be elevated after a lost weekend like that :D or after Xmas. Stands to reason it would have an effect on the rest of the HR range. So I'd imagine your readings will be back to normal soon enough with the abstinence!

I know from reading Ososlo's she's made similar comments about the impact of a drinking session on HR so you're probably just bouncing back after it!

Friday 20/03 – Recovery – PM
    Distance: 2.75 mi
    Time: 29:53
    Av Pace: 10:53 min/m
    Av HR: 149 bpm

Saturday 21/03 – Sick

Sunday 22/03 – Easy – PM
    Distance: 2.75 mi
    Time: 30 mins

Had “woman’s issues” on Saturday (think it is going around lol!!) so didn’t get out at all, so by Sunday evening was dying to get out to do something. Still wasn’t feeling 100% so kept it short and sweet. Decided to go without the watch, and it was actually lovely, did the same loop as Friday. I think I have developed a garmin stats obsession lately. Think I will ditch the watch more often and stop worrying about pace and distance all the time.

W/C 23/03

Monday 23/03 – PM
    TRX Class (45 mins)

Set 1: TRX pike, TRX plank knee tucks, TRX suspended pendulum, TRX mountain climbers, TRX crunch & curl -5 reps @ 30 secs
    Set 2: Barbell (10kg) shoulder press, Barbell squats, TRX squat jumps, TRX chest press, TRX low row -5 reps @ 30 secs
    Set 3: Barbell bicep curl, TRX bicep curl, TRX tricep extension, TRX low row, TRX standing fall out -5 reps @ 30 secs
    Set 4: Burpies & Jumping Jacks -3 reps @ 30 secs

Hadn't done a TRX class in a lonnnnnng time…this really really hurt!

Tuesday 24/03 – AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Build up circuit: 6 exercises x 30sec, w/ 10sec rest – 1) Walking down to press up 2) Squat jacks with overhead lift 3) Cross body mountain climbers, 4) Lunges with shoulder press, 5) Standing oblique twists, 6) Jack knife - All with 4kg dumbbells
    2 build-up circuits + one full circuit

It could have something to do with it all right. I don't wear a HR monitor but I know my resting HR would be elevated after a lost weekend like that :D or after Xmas. Stands to reason it would have an effect on the rest of the HR range. So I'd imagine your readings will be back to normal soon enough with the abstinence!
    I know from reading Ososlo's she's made similar comments about the impact of a drinking session on HR so you're probably just bouncing back after it!

Hopefully HR will be back to normal this week. The graph looked so weird, HR literally going way up and way down for the entire run, think I could have been clinically on the way out for some parts! Abstaining from the dreaded alcohol for a long time to come (famous last words!). Wedding dress fitting is in June so serious head down until then!

Tuesday 25/03 – Steady– PM
    Distance: 5 mi
    Time: 46:19
    Av Pace: 9:16 min/m

DOMS central after Monday night, so found this particularly tough. But again great to be running with others, pushing way more than I do on my own, and find maintaining my pace much better in a group rather than on my own.

Tumble weed central on here lately!

Wednesday 26/03 – PM
    3.1 Miles – 30mins (Treadmill)
    Body Sculpt Class (45 mins)

Thurs – Sun 27/03-29/03
    Nada: Personal disaster….line drawn under it

W/C 30/03

Monday 30/03 – AM
    Cross Trainer (20 mins)
    Spin Class (40 mins)

Tuesday 31/03 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    2 Build up circuits, 1 full circuit - 10kg Barbell: 1) Walking down to dead lift, 2) Barbell squat jumps, 3) Shoulder press, 4) Straight arm barbell lunges, 5) Barbell roll out, 6)Barbell sit ups

Wednesday 01/04 – PM
    3.1 Miles – 30mins (Treadmill)
    Cross Trainer (10 mins)
    Body Sculpt Class (45 mins)

Thursday 02/04
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    5 full circuits – 10kg barbell: 1) Barbell squat, 2) Bend over row, 3) Mountain climbers, 4) Shoulder press, 5) Upright row, 6) Squat jumps, 7) Military plant

Not great at all running wise for the past week. End of last week had bad news on something so had to try get that sorted out so running & exercise took a serious back seat. Couldn’t make group run Tues eve this week unfort, and am travelling this evening so that is out too, and busy weekend plans, so really it’s a case of start again Monday and chalk it down to a rubbish week. Onwards and upwards please! Happy Easter all :)

Sorry to hear that, Mimojo, but you weren't completely idle anyway! take the break and come back fresh.

• Advertisement

Friday 03/04 - Rest

Not exactly "rest", wedding stuff does not qualify as rest, but no exercise done today!

Saturday 04/04 - Steady - PM
    Distance: 4 mi w/ 12 strides (WU 2 mi, Strides 1 mi, CD 1 mi)
    Time: 39:39
    Av Pace: 9:55 min/m
    Av HR: 162 bpm

Home for the weekend & after a day bridesmaid dress shopping headed for nearby trail to get a few miles in on a lovely sunny evening. Did 2 miles WU, and then found a flat straight stretch & had my first attempt at strides. In hindsight I don't think that the stretch was long enough at all, and looking back I think I did them far too fast, but I will learn!! The distance was about 50m, and did this 12 times, with slow jog back. Paces for each ranged from 6:35 to 7:21 (taking 13 or 14 seconds) with most in the 6's, with jog back twice as long. Then did 1 mi CD at a very slow pace. Found it tough going, and think I need to find a longer stretch next time and go at a more sustainable pace, but did enjoy it all the same and found it a good challenge.

Sunday 05/04 - Recovery - AM
    Distance: 3.15 mi
    Time: 32:58
    Av Pace: 10:29 min/m

Headed to Coole Park for this one, really lovely morning to be out. Legs felt tired from the previous evening so keep the pace nice and easy. Did an out and back, way out was a bit of a drag uphill so was glad to be turning back home towards the Easter eggs!

W/C 06/04

Monday 06/04 - PM
    Camogie Training (1 Hour)

Tuesday 07/04 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    2 Build up circuits, 1 full circuit - TRX: 1) Alternative trx rows, 2) Squat jumps, 3) TRX press up, 4) Trx lunges with high knee jump, 5) Standing trx obelisk twists, 6) knife jacks

Tuesday 07/04 - PM
    3 mi walk - 40 mins

Sorry to hear that, Mimojo, but you weren't completely idle anyway! take the break and come back fresh.

Cheers Anna, think I am all back on track now, & full of energy from the copious amounts of chocolate consumed over the past few days! Must head over & catch up on all the logs I have missed now, yours included!

Did 2 miles WU, and then found a flat straight stretch & had my first attempt at strides. In hindsight I don’t think that the stretch was long enough at all, and looking back I think I did them far too fast, but I will learn!! The distance was about 500m, and did this 12 times, with slow jog back. Paces for each ranged from 6:35 to 7:21 (taking 13 or 14 seconds) with most in the 6’s, with jog back twice as long. Then did 1 mi CD at a very slow pace. Found it tough going, and think I need to find a longer stretch next time and go at a more sustainable pace, but did enjoy it all the same and found it a good challenge.

Might be an extra 0 in there or else you've broken the land speed record ;) ?
    Don't know if you need to be doing as many as 12 reps ? I would think 4-6 x 80-100m at the end of your run would be enough. If you were feeling it the next day you might have gone a bit fast (nice speed though :)) or not had enough recovery so make sure you're fully recovered between each one, so you feel nice and refreshed the next day.

That HIIT class sounds savage. I need to do something different instead of my boring gym routine so I must look into a class like that instead although they probably wouldn't let a weakling like me in!

Hope to see you Saturday at the K-club?

Don't know if you need to be doing as many as 12 reps ? I would think 4-6 x 80-100m at the end of your run would be enough. If you were feeling it the next day you might have gone a bit fast (nice speed though :)) or not had enough recovery so make sure you're fully recovered between each one, so you feel nice and refreshed the next day.

That HIIT class sounds savage. I need to do something different instead of my boring gym routine so I must look into a class like that instead although they probably wouldn't let a weakling like me in!

Haha, I was just about to go reading up on strides, coz I didn't think they were supposed to be so long, glad you cleared that up :)

LOL! Yes def an extra 0 in there, when I read it I could only laugh, 500m in 13seconds, should be entering the Olympics at that rate :o

Thanks a mill for the advice, wasn’t too sure on how many to aim for, so next time will do 5 or 6, over a longer distance, a bit slower! On Sunday I could def feel it in my legs & my recovery run was a slog even at a slow pace, so will learn for the next time!

Ya the HIIT class is really excellent, it’s a new addition to the gym timetable & finding it super, tough going, but super! It is on 2 mornings a week at the moment which is ideal. I was doing my own gym routine & just found that wasn’t pushing myself, am very easily distracted I think! In classes you have no option but to keep doing, even though you are dying inside!! Well if they let me in you there will be no probs you getting in :D

Yes plan is K Club on Sat. Annoyed with myself as haven’t really being focusing on running at all lately, but few different things in real life took over & they are all sorted out so should be back on track. Goal is to get out there & give it a good shot. Have never done a 10k before so at least it will be a PB whatever way I look at it! Have no idea what to aim for, something around 55/56 would be amazing, but don’t know if it is possible with the lack of running lately, so just want to go out & get some race practice and enjoy it.

Might see you there so! What are you aiming for?
    Haha, I was just about to go reading up on strides, coz I didn't think they were supposed to be so long, glad you cleared that up :)

Yes serious typo there, doubt I would manage one @ 500m without collapsing!!

LOL! Yes def an extra 0 in there, when I read it I could only laugh, 500m in 13seconds, should be entering the Olympics at that rate :o
    I think Usain Bolt was ready to hang up his spikes!
    Thanks a mill for the advice, wasn’t too sure on how many to aim for, so next time will do 5 or 6, over a longer distance, a bit slower! On Sunday I could def feel it in my legs & my recovery run was a slog even at a slow pace, so will learn for the next time!
    As far as I know it's all about fast but relaxed running, so you focus on good posture and quick feet but it's not eyeballs out sprinting where you might tense up. Dubgal and Career Move seem to have it sussed so might have some tips.
    Ya the HIIT class is really excellent, it’s a new addition to the gym timetable & finding it super, tough going, but super! It is on 2 mornings a week at the moment which is ideal. I was doing my own gym routine & just found that wasn’t pushing myself, am very easily distracted I think! In classes you have no option but to keep doing, even though you are dying inside!! Well if they let me in you there will be no probs you getting in :D
    Yeah, I need to do a class, I've go so bored of my own routine. I'm just a bit wary of getting injured in a big class with unfamiliar moves. I may pick your brains on Sat please ?
    Yes plan is K Club on Sat. Annoyed with myself as haven’t really being focusing on running at all lately, but few different things in real life took over & they are all sorted out so should be back on track. Goal is to get out there & give it a good shot. Have never done a 10k before so at least it will be a PB whatever way I look at it! Have no idea what to aim for, something around 55/56 would be amazing, but don’t know if it is possible with the lack of running lately, so just want to go out & get some race practice and enjoy it.
    Might see you there so! What are you aiming for?
    Nice, your PB's already in the bag :D. It's meant to be flat and fast and I think the forecast looks good. I'm hoping 44:xx but I've never done the race before so whatever happens it'll be a course PB. I had been thinking I'd draft off Adrian but he's gone way too fast for me now :rolleyes:. See you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi mimojo, looks like you are busy.com lately, fair play for getting any sort of exercise in (though we all know here, exercise is a necessity, not a luxury, right?! :D )
    I heard my name mentioned...I'm still learning on the sprints front so please anyone jump in if I'm saying anything that shouldn't be recommended!
    I've grouped them into types:

- towards the end of a medium run (ex 4-6 miles), doing 4-6 of around 100m each, make sure to do a half mile warm down too, included in the overall distance, or not, depending on what you have to round up to ;)
    - as a warm up before a session: jog your usual distance and then do 2x 30-35 sec slower strides and then 2-4 shorter, snappier strides of 13-15 seconds each
    - 6-8 hill sprints/form drills of 8-10 seconds each on the steepest gradient you can find, concentrating on strong arms, high knee lift, up on toes and fast leg turnover or similar on the flat if you can't find a hill.

There are more but these should keep you going for now. The beauty of all three above types is that they don't build up lactic, don't leave you wrecked (good recovery on all these is essential) and they recruit fast twitch fibres without too much effort. They can be done on 'down days' without affecting recovery between session days or a lsr.

Hope that helps!

I think Usain Bolt was ready to hang up his spikes!

As far as I know it's all about fast but relaxed running, so you focus on good posture and quick feet but it's not eyeballs out sprinting where you might tense up. Dubgal and Career Move seem to have it sussed so might have some tips.

Yeah, I need to do a class, I've go so bored of my own routine. I'm just a bit wary of getting injured in a big class with unfamiliar moves. I may pick your brains on Sat please ?

Nice, your PB's already in the bag :D. It's meant to be flat and fast and I think the forecast looks good. I'm hoping 44:xx but I've never done the race before so whatever happens it'll be a course PB. I had been thinking I'd draft off Adrian but he's gone way too fast for me now :rolleyes:. See you there!

Thanks a mill for info on strikes, all makes sense. Def was more eyeballs out sprinting that I tried on Sat, wont be doing that again, nearly killed me!! I think I prob was pretty tense too, trying to go as fast as I could rather than focusing on my form.

Would def recommend the classes, I find I push so much more than when I am on my own. I think the trick is to focus on form, I don’t worry too much about keeping in time with everyone else, I try to focus on what I am doing and doing each exercise correctly rather than rushing through them. I agree there is the danger that doing something incorrectly could lead to injury, most good instructors will keep an eye on you and correct people that are doing something incorrectly. I often look up exercises from the classes on youtube etc to check the correct form so that when they come up again I am more aware on exactly what I should be focusing on.

I def feel I am getting stronger overall (well a teeny bit anyhow!), and I hope it will help with running in the long term and keeping me injury free. Absolutely anything I can help with just holler, I am relatively new to all this, only been in the gym about a year and a half so certainly not an expert, but if I can help I will no probs!!

Looking forward to K Club, first race since DCM :eek: so just want to go out and enjoy it and not put pressure on myself. Few in the club have said it’s a very fast course, & not to go off too fast, which I have an awful habit of doing! Wow 44:xx, absolutely not a bother to you :D! See you there!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi mimojo, looks like you are busy.com lately, fair play for getting any sort of exercise in (though we all know here, exercise is a necessity, not a luxury, right?! :D )
    I heard my name mentioned...I'm still learning on the sprints front so please anyone jump in if I'm saying anything that shouldn't be recommended!
    I've grouped them into types:

- towards the end of a medium run (ex 4-6 miles), doing 4-6 of around 100m each, make sure to do a half mile warm down too, included in the overall distance, or not, depending on what you have to round up to ;)
    - as a warm up before a session: jog your usual distance and then do 2x 30-35 sec slower strides and then 2-4 shorter, snappier strides of 13-15 seconds each
    - 6-8 hill sprints/form drills of 8-10 seconds each on the steepest gradient you can find, concentrating on strong arms, high knee lift, up on toes and fast leg turnover or similar on the flat if you can't find a hill.

There are more but these should keep you going for now. The beauty of all three above types is that they don't build up lactic, don't leave you wrecked (good recovery on all these is essential) and they recruit fast twitch fibres without too much effort. They can be done on 'down days' without affecting recovery between session days or a lsr.

Hope that helps!

Hey Dubgal, exercise is an absolute necessity, amazing after a rubbish day/week it can get your back on track!! Yes your name was mentioned as an expert on strikes front, and you didn’t disappoint, super advice thank you :D

Cheers for explaining it all out, least I know what I should be doing now. I have tried the hill sprints before but now realise the gradient wasn’t nearly steep enough, and was far too long (40-50 sec), need to locate a better hill! Going to try to incorporate a form of strides once or twice a week into my routine and will def try out these three types and see how I get on. Also good to know the science behind it & when they can be done, really helpful cheers!

Wednesday 08/04
    Recovery Run – Approx 3 mi

Legs in bits after TRX yesterday so just took this one very very easy, no watch, just did my usual loop.

Thursday 09/04 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    2 Build up circuits, 1 full circuit 1) Standing Burpee, 2) Straddle jumps w/squat, 3) Mountain Climbers, 4) Single leg knife jacks, 5) Press ups, 6) Reverse crunches

Will take it easy tomorrow before K Club on Sat, hope the weather holds up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

good luck on Saturday! weather is looking good, 9-10 degrees & sunny so a bit cooler (good!) with some breezes (hopefully at your back..)

Kick ass tomorrow :D enjoy, most of all!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

+1 all the best tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow, sounds like it will be a great day! Relax and enjoy it!

Good luck tomorrow mimojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck :)

Congrats in advance on the PB ;)!

Firedance wrote: »
    good luck on Saturday! weather is looking good, 9-10 degrees & sunny so a bit cooler (good!) with some breezes (hopefully at your back..)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Kick ass tomorrow :D enjoy, most of all!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    +1 all the best tomorrow!
    Best of luck tomorrow, sounds like it will be a great day! Relax and enjoy it!
    Good luck tomorrow mimojo.
    Good luck :)
    Congrats in advance on the PB ;)!

Cheers all, going to try to stay relaxed & enjoy it :-)

Race Report
    K Club 10km – 11/04/2015

After pretty sporadic training lately had hoped to be better prepared for this, but decided just to try to go out and enjoy it & see how I got on. Have never done a 10k before so whatever happened it would be helpful to have a 10k time & work towards improving it. Wasn’t going to put any pressure on, just give it a go & see how I got on.

Had the usual brekkie of porride, natural yogurt, honey & banana and plenty of water around 7.45 to allow for digestion. Arrived around 9.45 (I am eternally early) having made the 12 minute journey to the K Club. Picked up my race number, popped to the loo (fancy loo’s no less, no smelly portaloos to contend with here!) & headed back to the car. I find I can get very nervous before races & really hate standing around on my own like a big lemon not entirely sure how I should be warming up etc, so I headed back to the car & had the Irish Running Mag to keep me company. Read through this until about 10.45, then did about 10 mins of light jogging & some stretching & lined up right before the off. Was really glad I did it this way, I tend to go to the start line way to early & have cooled down & am freezing by the time the race gets going. Now I know I probably should have done a bit more of a warm up but my plan was to start off easy to figured I would warm up then anyhow (not very technical I know!)

The start line was very congested & narrow. I guess I haven’t a clue really, the only races I have done have been in the Phoenix Park so this was all new to new. I didn’t really know where to position myself so just stayed around the middle. I had worked out a rough plan in my head, very basic really, aim for 9:30 pace for Mile 1 & 2, 9 for Mile 3 & 4 & 5, and try to push to 8:30 for the last mile if I could.

As we set off it was congested and fast, and I had to remind myself numerous times to slow the f**k down woman! I have an awful tendency to get caught up at the start and go off way too fast, and die a death after, so was determined not to let this happen. It filtered out a bit pretty quickly which was good, and tonnes of people were passing me out but didn’t let it bother me, with the quick start I think my pace for Mile 1 was around 9ish. Once we left the K Club it was 2 loops before we headed back in. The crowds had really filtered out and I picked out a lady up ahead to keep an eye on as she seemed to be doing a similar pace to me. I fell in about 9:30 and ticked along. I started having doubts, as I always do at the start of a race, god what if I am going too fast, imagine I couldn’t finish bla bla bla, but tried to get those out of my head. Was feeling good, the pace was very manageable and I kept an eye on the watch every few mins to keep myself in check. It was pretty warm and sunny, but there was a cold breeze all the same, which caught your breath at times. We took a left, and there was a water table (not sure if it as official or just some lovely people outside their house, but I was glad to see it whatever the circumstances!), and grabbed a cup. At around 2.8 miles the motorbike came through and the speedy men came flying past, so that kept my mind busy, trying to figure out what time they would finish in etc.

When we arrived at the start of the second loop and turned left, there was an almighty breeze that we were now running into and it made it a bit tougher. However was still feeling good, was maintaining my pace well & at least I knew the route. When we would come back to the end of that loop again would be at 8k. I continue to keep an eye on the lady up ahead. I think I was between 9:15-9:30 there or there abouts anyhow. Again reached the water table which was again very welcome, and kept ticking along.

When we reached the end of the loop again at 8km, I took a quick check on the time, and decided to try to up the pace a little. I wanted to keep it around 9ish, and push on a little. It was starting to get tough, and my breathing started to get a bit laboured too, but tried to be careful not to go too mad. I passed a couple of runners, and finally say the 9k mark. Really I should have kept my pace as is for another bit, but decided to try to get to 8:30 at this stage, which I managed, but coming back into the k club and down the hill I was starting to fade. When we hit the roundabout there was a serious gust of wind which did not help matters, but tried to push on as the finish line was in sight. I could see the time & really tried to push, and anything I had left at that stage I used up!!

Watch Time: 56:02:04
    Distance: 6.21 mi
    Av HR: 172 bpm
    Av Pace: 9:01 min/m

I think my official time is 56:08 – speaking to someone after said that there was no mat at the start so everyone will have the same start time, so my watch time will likely be quicker than official.

Overall am very happy with this I have to say, training really hasn’t been hectic or specific, I feel that if I get my ass in gear & get a training plan on the go I can certainly improve on this. I actually really enjoyed it, the course was lovely and flat, the distance a good challenge & temperature on the day nice (bar that god damn wind!). I didn’t put any pressure on myself & was relaxed before hand which really helped. It has reminded me how much I LOVE doing races, duno what was wrong with me lately with not signing up to stuff, think I need to target a few more similar distance races, and soon and get a training plan on the go.

I wonder if I could have increased the pace overall, I started off conservatively so maybe I could have pushed on a bit, but then I was well aware of my lack of running lately so I think I made the right call today. My computer hates my garmin so will have to wait until Monday to see my splits, dying to see if I managed the elusive negative split, unlikely Id image!

So that is folks, sorry it was very longwinded! Hope everyone enjoyed today & its PB’s all round, looking forward to the race reports! Went in after & it was a great spread, managed to bag myself a cookie and banana which I devoured. Had a quick look around but shur duno how I was guna recognise anyhow unless they had username printed on them somewhere! :D

EDIT 13/04

Mile Splits: (1) 8:55, (2) 9:32, (3) 9:12, (4) 9:13, (5) 8:59, (6) 8:32, (0.2mi, 7:43)
    KM Splits: (1) 5:20, (2) 5:47, (3) 5:58, (4) 5:47, (5) 5:43, (6) 5:42, (7) 5:40, (8) 5:35, (9) 5:27, (10) 5:00
    5km Split: 27:26, 10km Split: 56:02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Great report, well done on the PB!

Nice going mimojo. Yeah it's always hard to find the balance between starting conservatively so as not to blow up but not feel at the end like you could have pushed it more at the start. It's a learning curve I suppose and something that I think we just better at with more race practice and knowing ourselves, training etc.

great report, well done, I've no doubt in my mind you passed me in the last Km back, so that proves your conservative start worked better than my too fast start :-)

So sorry not to see you today, I figured someone from here would know you or vice versa so didn't make arrangements. Will PM you for the next one (Sportsworld 5 ??) Well done you, great race and report!

• Advertisement

Nice going mimojo. Yeah it's always hard to find the balance between starting conservatively so as not to blow up but not feel at the end like you could have pushed it more at the start. It's a learning curve I suppose and something that I think we just better at with more race practice and knowing ourselves, training etc.

Cheers - ya very hard to know indeed, its a lack of race practice for me anyhow, but do think I made a bit of an improvement today in terms of going out slower & not blowing up towards the end....just plenty more improvement needed overall!
    Firedance wrote: »
    great report, well done, I've no doubt in my mind you passed me in the last Km back, so that proves your conservative start worked better than my too fast start :-)

Hard to know FD, Im dying to see my splits to have an idea of the pace on each mile so I can see did I end up getting a big faster as the race went on.
    So sorry not to see you today, I figured someone from here would know you or vice versa so didn't make arrangements. Will PM you for the next one (Sportsworld 5 ??) Well done you, great race and report!

Lol BG, dont worry at all! Shur I am as bad, it didnt even register with me as to how I was going to attempt to recognise people, seriously not with it at all! Ya think I will do Sportsworld so def have to catch up at that, I might wear a multicoloured onsie or something to that you know who I am!! How did you get on today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done, great report!

Well done, Mimojo!

Great report and well done on the tactics! The warm up was fine, longer races generally need less warm up, sounds like you did fine today. You can tweak it as you go along.
    Well done! :)

W/C 13/04

Monday 13/04 - Recovery – AM
    Distance: 3 mi
    Time: 31:39
    Av Pace: 10:33 min/m
    Av HR: 156 bpm

Legs were tired & had a few aches & pains after Saturday so took it nice & handy on this one, nothing serious I don’t think, just felt like I did some work on them! Haven’t been out running much in the mornings lately so this was lovely to have it totally bright, reminds me of last summer.

Monday 13/04 – PM
    Camogie (1 hour)

Legs still were not great so don’t think I was of much use at this session at all, I had to go along as the gear was in the boot of my car, think I might have given it a miss if not. Any kind of faster running was starting to hurt, especially towards the end, so had a hot soak when I came home (can I recommend Bomb Cosmetics bath bombs, gorg!) and felt a good bit better after.

Tuesday 14/04 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

2 Build-up circuits, 1 full circuit – 4kg DB: 1)Walking down to press ups, 2) Mountain climbers, 3) Squat jumps w/ overhead single DB lift, 4) High knees sprint w/ DB, 5) Squat with rotating shoulder press, 6) Rotating knife jacks w/ single DB.

Decided to give club run a miss this evening, legs were still feeling pretty tired and sore so said would give an extra days rest

Wednesday 15/04 - Easy – PM
    Distance: 3.6 mi
    Time: 37:30
    Av Pace: 10:25 min/m
    Av HR: 152 bpm

Again keeping it easy & short as legs still not 100%, and did plenty of stretching after.

Thursday 16/04 – AM
    Cross Trainer (10 mins)
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

7 Sets x 20 Reps, 10 secs rest between set – 10kg BB, 4kg DB: 1) Squat with barbell shoulder press, 2) Squat jumps, 3) Lunges with lateral raise, 4) Renagade Row, 5) Mountain Climbers, 6) Upright Row, 7) Burpies

Planning a trip to AK this weekend to update Mizuno Inspires 9’s for new runners, oooh exciting! Looking at my runners they are getting very worn in places, prob should have done this sooner tbh, think there is about 400 miles or so on them now.

Just can’t get into the Inspire 10’s, have tried them out plenty of times now & just don’t like them at all, still getting weird numbness and pain after wearing them, that will teach me to not chance buying online in future! Still though chance for new fancy colourful runners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Planning a trip to AK this weekend to update Mizuno Inspires 9’s for new runners, oooh exciting! Looking at my runners they are getting very worn in places, prob should have done this sooner tbh, think there is about 400 miles or so on them now.

Just can’t get into the Inspire 10’s, have tried them out plenty of times now & just don’t like them at all, still getting weird numbness and pain after wearing them, that will teach me to not chance buying online in future! Still though chance for new fancy colourful runners :D
    the 11s are out now,,club discount in runlogic

Saturday 18/04 – Easy – AM
    Distance: 8 mi
    Time: 1:21:13
    Av Pace: 10:09 min/m
    Av HR: 152 bpm

Such a gorg morning for this, got out really early as had a busy day ahead and really enjoyed it, reminded me of training last summer for DCM. Wanted to go further but was sensible as mileage has been low lately so didn’t want to overdo it.

W/C 20/04

Monday 20/04 – Steady – AM (w/ 7 x short hill sprints)
    Distance: 3.53 mi
    Time: 35:00
    Av Pace: 9:56 min/m
    Av HR: 158 bpm

Tested out the new runners (Mizuno Inspire 11’s) & they are beuts! Made me realise my old ones are very worn, hence the return of the knee discomfort, exact same thing happened the last time I needed a runner upgrade, you would think I would learn! Gorg morn so did 2.5 mile w/u, with 7 hill sprints thrown in towards the end and half mile c/d after. Thanks to the advice of Dubgal think I got these right, had been wondering for ages about a suitable hill so used one side of the railway bridge this morning and it was ideal. I’m sure people waiting for the train think I’m unhinged but its a good hill! Kept these short and snappy, about 14/15 secs each, with slow jog back down (paces: 7:32, 7:33, 6:46, 6:36, 6:36, 7:21, 7:00).

had been wondering for ages about a suitable hill so used one side of the railway bridge this morning and it was ideal. I’m sure people waiting for the train think I’m unhinged but its a good hill! Kept these short and snappy, about 14/15 secs each, with slow jog back down (paces: 7:32, 7:33, 6:46, 6:36, 6:36, 7:21, 7:00).

wow, really super paces there :-) I'm sure people up and down the train lines are seeing a lot of us out doing hill sprints over railway bridges :D they're ideal!

Monday 20/04 – PM
    Camogie (1 hour)

Tuesday 21/04 – AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

2 Build-up circuits, 1 full circuit – 1) Step squat jumps, 2) Step press ups, 3) Alternating jump squats on step, 4) Wide mountain climbers, 5) Tricep dips, 6) Jack knife sit ups.

Even after plenty of sleep woke up tired this morning so this was a bit of a struggle, but good to get it done all the same. Step jumps were particularly hard as there were so many of them, and at one stage missed the step altogether and almost decked myself!! Surely will be good for the legs though, that is what I keep telling myself anyhow.

Tuesday 21/04 – Easy – PM
    Distance: 5 mi
    Time: 47:34
    Av HR: 161 bpm
    Splits: 9:52, 9:28, 9:19, 9:20, 9:33

Lonnng day at work yesterday so decided to go straight out for a run rather than go home & go back out to club meet up later on, I knew if I went home there was a distinct possibility that I wouldn’t go back out again! Headed to the forest and planned a couple of easy miles as it was such a lovely evening & headed out on the route I know. After less than a mile ended up bumped into few from the club who had also gone out early so joined up with them. I don’t know the area that well so tend to stick to the route I know, with them headed off in all kinds of directions, with some steep hills thrown in for good measure. I really enjoy running on my own and don’t mind it at all, but I def get something out of running with others, especially at the pace last night, never feel like I can maintain a decent pace on my own, whereas had no choice last night, and even though found it tough, was doable and really enjoyable.

One thing I am noticing lately on runs is my HR & breathing. At the start of a run, even at easy pace am getting mad readings from the HR. Yesterday about 5 minutes in HR is showing 185, even though the average is 161 & once it settles down it shows a steady 151-160 at the start of the run, rising to 161-173ish for the faster miles. Last week on 2 easy runs last week about 5 mins in have a 212 and 215 reading, it did settle down after, am wondering if this is normal?

Also breathing, I seem to struggle for the first 2 miles of ever run, seem to be breathing really heavily like I am out of breath, but once it settles down am fine, even when I am running faster. Really noticed it the day of the K Club, took a good 2 miles for it to stabilise, and again last night it was very noticeable. Again is this to be expected, and is there any technique I can try to sort this out / stabilise my breathing quicker?

• Advertisement

One thing I am noticing lately on runs is my HR & breathing. At the start of a run, even at easy pace am getting mad readings from the HR. Yesterday about 5 minutes in HR is showing 185, even though the average is 161 & once it settles down it shows a steady 151-160 at the start of the run, rising to 161-173ish for the faster miles. Last week on 2 easy runs last week about 5 mins in have a 212 and 215 reading, it did settle down after, am wondering if this is normal?

Also breathing, I seem to struggle for the first 2 miles of ever run, seem to be breathing really heavily like I am out of breath, but once it settles down am fine, even when I am running faster. Really noticed it the day of the K Club, took a good 2 miles for it to stabilise, and again last night it was very noticeable. Again is this to be expected, and is there any technique I can try to sort this out / stabilise my breathing quicker?

am noticing exactly the same thing, I'm wondering if it related to the rise in temperature and (for me) possibly needing more hydration to go along with that rise. hopefully someone older and wiser will have the answer :-)

Advertisement