Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runs End, Running Doesn’t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Delighted to see you're in a more suitable group now and are enjoying it more and sure it'll be no time before you're back in the other group again:)

Here's hoping! Have fully caught up on your training log now, lots of super reading as usual in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Mimojo wrote: »
    the really wet kind too!

That is the worst kind! ;)

Delighted to hear you're in the right paced group in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Delighted to hear this! A certain amount of healthy nerves can be ok on occasion before a club session, but not dread... You'll come on a lot more holistically in the right group :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That is the worst kind! ;)

Delighted to hear you're in the right paced group in the club.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear this! A certain amount of healthy nerves can be ok on occasion before a club session, but not dread... You'll come on a lot more holistically in the right group :)

Cheers girls, ya think this group is def more suitable for my pace, looking forward to getting stuck in now. Have been all over the shop lately so need to get a bit of a plan going again. Next stop will be the K Club 10k all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Will be interested to hear how you progress now that you have the club group sorted. I'm impressed too that pre-marriage courses lead to hangovers ;) a realistic preview? :)

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Will be interested to hear how you progress now that you have the club group sorted. I'm impressed too that pre-marriage courses lead to hangovers ;) a realistic preview? :)

Friday evening and 8 full hours on Saturday stuck in a room hearing all about the importance of commitment, love, loyalty, conflict resolution and compromise drove us to a few
    (many many)
    beverages
    (copious amounts of hard liquor)
    on Saturday night to unwind
    (block it out)
    !!!

Friday evening and 8 full hours on Saturday stuck in a room hearing all about the importance of commitment, love, loyalty, conflict resolution and compromise drove us to a few
    (many many)
    beverages
    (copious amounts of hard liquor)
    on Saturday night to unwind
    (block it out)
    !!!

:pac::pac::pac: so it helped your relationship then!

Thursday 26/02
    Row (5), Legs (15)
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Fri 27/02 – REST

Slept through 2 alarms on Friday morning so think it was a sign that a rest day was needed. Headed for the wHest Friday after work & was late when I arrived & there was a gorgeous fire down, so any plans for a run went out the window.

Saturday 28/02 – Steady - PM
    Distance: 4.6 mi
    Time: 45:38
    Av Pace: 9:55 min/m
    Av HR: 157 bpm
    Splits: 9:46, 9:54, 9:48, 10:13

Plenty of bits & pieces to do this weekend so didn’t have much of a chance to get out, but did do a few miles Saturday evening, 2 laps around a village with serious hills! First lap was grand, second lap the heavens opened & the wind seriously picked up but very enjoyable all the same, with the added bonus of sitting by the fire for the rest of the evening, ah bliss!

Sun 01/03 – REST

Review so far…

YTD: 116.35mi

Jan: 72.35 mi
    Feb: 44.00 mi

A slow start to the year for sure, lost a good week and a half of running in February through my own fault when life got on top of me but that is done and dusted now thankfully. Mileage took a serious nose dive but lesson learnt and time to get on with it.

Aim for March is to do more running, simples! Running at the moment is only about 15 miles a week and as much as I want to go mad and increase this a lot, I know I need to do it on a steady basis. Not guna worry too much about sessions or anything like that as I am getting bogged down in what to do/not to do, just get more miles on the clock, and go along to the club sessions as much as I can.

Happy with time spend in the gym, enjoying going to the classes so I am going to stick with that for the moment, they are really enjoyable, good for overall fitness, don’t take a huge amount of time and tend to make me push myself more than when I am training on my own.

Finally diet wise, have gotten a bit complacent since before xmass so want to get this back on track too. In generally am pretty conscious of what I am eating and get a good mix of healthy food but a lot more snacks & crap food are starting to sneak in there so want to address this too.

Think it might be helpful (and force me to stay on track) to write down aims for March:

Running:
    Tuesday evenings: Club group run - Steady (5 mi)
    Wednesday mornings: Short recovery run (3-4 mi)
    Thursday evening: Club session (Finally get going on these & see what they are about – distance unknown!)
    Saturday or Sunday: Long run (8-10 mi) / or club group run Saturday (4-5 mi), recovery run Sun (3-4mi)

Mileage aims: 20-25 miles per week for March

Race aims: K Club 10k 11/04/15 – Signed up this morning!

Gym:
    Monday morning: Spin Class
    Monday evening: Sports training – starts back this week
    Tuesday morning: HIIT Class
    Wednesday evening: Toning Class & Khai Boa style class (or one of these)
    Thursday morning: HIIT Class
    Friday morning: Gym Routine

W/C 02/03

Monday 02/03 – AM
    Row (10)
    Spin Class (40 mins)

I read all the super reviews of the Djouce trail run at the weekend this morning, thanks for sharing everyone, it sounds brill! Would love to go along to the next outing (really so I can have some cakes and flapjacks!)

Sorry you couldn't make it to Djouce, Mimojo... But the next assaults are being planned, there will be other times.

Your March goals are very ambitious, good luck with those.

Tuesday 03/02
    Row (10)
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Excellent class, building up a circuit of 6 exercises x 45sec, with 15sec rest in between - Burpies, squat jumps, lunges with rotation, mountain climbers, press ups & jack knife sit up, all with 4kg medicine ball. 3 build-up circuits & one full circuit at the end for good measure.

Tuesday 03/02 – Steady - PM
    Distance: 3.64 mi
    Time: 35:14
    Av Pace: 9:41 min/m
    Av HR: 153 bpm
    Splits: 9:59, 9:59, 9:11, 6:05

Went out with club group again, very enjoyable run. Most in the group are running at the weekend so was a bit easier & shorter this week. Feel like I have found a lovely group to run with, and they are at a similar pace to myself.

Wednesday 04/02 – Steady PM
    Distance: 3.36 mi
    Time: 30:29
    Av Pace: 9:05 min/m
    Av HR: 158 bpm
    Splits: 9:04, 9:11, 9:02, 3:13

Had a meeting this evening so had to re-jig things a bit this week. Was pretty tight for time so went out straight after work for a couple of miles. It was a lovely evening and first evening run in a long time in day light. Decided to try to push a bit as night before was a shorter run than last week. I decided on a 5km route & would try to work to as close to 9min miles as I could. Looking at splits I am pretty happy overall.

Thursday 05/02 – AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Another good class this morning – 4 x full sets of 30secs with 10sec rest in between – Barbell squats, bend over row, mountain climbers, shoulder press, squat jumps, bicycle sit ups, upright barbell row.

Since Tues feeling a bit of tightness in my right leg, and not feeling great this morning, think I just need a lot of foam rolling and stretching. Will see how I feel later before making decision of first club session, if it is not right I am going to wait until next week. Will gym tomorrow morning anyhow, and am away for the weekend so will get out for a few easy miles on Sat & Sun all going well.

• Advertisement

Friday 06/03 – Rest

Was ment to be a gym morning, but turned into a “press snooze 8 million times & rush around like a headless chicken trying to get ready in two minutes before work” kinda morning instead! Everyone at work has a cold and Friday morning was starting to feel like I was getting a touch of one too, damn co workers!

Saturday 07/03 – Easy - AM
    Distance: 6.28 mi
    Time: 01:04:33
    Av Pace: 10:17 min/m
    Av HR: 151 bpm

Braced the howling wind & rain of the wHest this morning with a trip around Castlebar as down visiting the inlaws. Absolutely rotten morning, got completely and utterly soaked and it was really warm and muggy too and had about 40 layers on so all on all not very enjoyable but glad to get it done all the same. Had planning on doing something a wee bit longer but mis judged the distance of the loop I had picked and was so glad to see home that I just ran inside instead!

Sunday 08/03 – Steady - AM
    Distance: 4.5 mi
    Time: 42:13
    Av Pace: 9:23 min/m
    Av HR: 155 bpm

As they say what a difference a day makes. Had an early this start this morning dropping Mr Mimo to the airport and heading on home. Got a rubbish sleep last night as spent most of it coughing, thing I have def caught that cold going around work, but doesn’t seem to be anything too serious. Got home and planning on a day of catching up on box sets, mass cooking for a busy week again and some cleaning, but couldn’t not go running today, what a day! Bright, sunny and warm, absolutely gorg! Headed off down the canal, a route I haven’t done since last summer as can only really be done in day light and absolutely loved it. Right leg is still a bit tight so more foam rolling on the cards for today, but nothing too serious. Really enjoyed this, makes me remember what is like to run in weather that is not cold and cramp, bring on tshirt weather!!

Looking forward to a mug of tea and catching up on all the race reports on here later on. Happy Sunday running all:cool:

Monday 09/03 – AM
    Row (5), Adductors & Abductors (10)
    Spin Class (40 mins)

Tuesday 10/03 - AM
    Cross Trainer (10)
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Build up circuit – 6 exercises x 30sec w/15 sec rest / all w/ 4kg dumbbells
    2 build up circuits, 1 full circuit
    1) Walking burpies with shoulder press, 2) Standing obelisk twists, 3) Squat jacks, 4) Mountain climbers, 5) Lunges, 6) Jack knife sit ups

Tuesday 10/03 – Steady - PM
    Distance: 4.07 mi
    Time: 40:27
    Av Pace: 9:57 min/m
    Splits: 10:10, 9:41, 10:29, 9:29

Nice handy 4 miler this evening, small group as many had raced at the weekend, but enjoyable all the same, and finished strong.

Wednesday 11/03 – Rest

Generally would have done gym on a Wednesday evening but in anticipation of going along to club session Thurs eve said I would be sensible and take a rest day so the legs might be somewhat ready for what faced me!!

Thursday 12/03 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

5 complete circuits – 7 exercises x 30sec w/10 sec rest / w/10kg barbell
    1) Barbell front squat, 2) Upright row, 3) Push Ups, 4) Power lunges, 5) Barbell squats with shoulder press, 6) Mountain climbers, 7) Bend over row

Thursday 12/03 – Club Session – PM
    2*400m w/u, 3* 4x400m (1 mile) @ 8:30 min/m w/ 2min, 3min & 4min breaks, 2*400m @ pace, 2*400 c/d
    Distance: 4:68 mi
    Time: 40:31
    Av Pace: 8:39 min/m
    Av HR: 167 bpm
    Splits: 8:45, 8:26, 8:35, 8:21, 6:24

Finally went to a club session! Duno what I was so worried about, I guess I just didn’t really know what to expect & was afraid I wouldn’t actually be able to do it I suppose. But can report I actually *almost* enjoyed it!

Started with 2 w/u laps and then went with the group doing 4*4 laps @ 8:30 min/m pace. Just aimed to keep with the pacer as best I could, think I found the first one the toughest as I kept thinking “oh god there are so many more to go!”. But settled into it, and was happy that I was able to keep up for the session and complete all laps. The final 4 laps was flat out for 2 laps and 2 laps c/d, really had no idea what pace I could hold for 2 laps so think I went off too fast and nearly died coming into the end of the 2nd lap, and then 2 c/d laps and some stretching.

Found it pretty tough overall, but do-able, and really feel like I am going to feel the benefit of it if I stick with it. Really helpful to run with a group, it takes the thinking out of it really, just follow the person at the front.

Was very happy afterwards to have one under my belt, and looking forward to next week already. Also slept like a log last night after it!

Hoping to get out for a few very easy miles after work, and planning to go out tomorrow morning all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Build up circuit – 6 exercises x 30sec w/15 sec rest / all w/ 4kg dumbbells
    2 build up circuits, 1 full circuit
    1) Walking burpies with shoulder press, 2) Standing obelisk twists, 3) Squat jacks, 4) Mountain climbers, 5) Lunges, 6) Jack knife sit ups

5 complete circuits – 7 exercises x 30sec w/10 sec rest / w/10kg barbell
    1) Barbell front squat, 2) Upright row, 3) Push Ups, 4) Power lunges, 5) Barbell squats with shoulder press, 6) Mountain climbers, 7) Bend over row

The above is a completely foreign language to me which I think translates into pain!

Nice split on the last 800

Great session, Mimojo! I'm with Bulmers, the rest of your week was too scary to think about :)

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    The above is a completely foreign language to me which I think translates into pain!

Nice split on the last 800
    annapr wrote: »
    Great session, Mimojo! I'm with Bulmers, the rest of your week was too scary to think about :)

LOL! The HIIT classes are kinda like the track session, feel awful when you are doing them, but great when finished, and they are short and snappy - get in, get tortured, get out!!

Saturday 14/03 – Easy - AM
    Distance: 6 mi
    Time: 01:03:05
    Av Pace: 10:31 min/m

Had hoped to get out yesterday evening for a few easy miles but my sis called in & ended up going for for dinner instead. Was planning to do something a bit longer this morning but legs weren't having any of it, felt tired and heavy, assuming it is from Thurs eve, so decided to keep it very easy. Picked up a bit after about 3.5 miles, but when I got to 6 I decided to call it a day. Had parked the car & planned a route around as I didn't know how far I would manage, glad I did now, but I did end up running up and down past the car 3 times at the end to get the distance up to 6, Im sure if anyone was watching they though I was for the funny farm! Nice to have miles in first thing, have a million and one thing to do today so figured I wouldn't get out a change to get out later on. Happy weekend running all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Have you borrowed DG's time machine?? :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Have you borrowed DG's time machine?? :)

LOL:D Obv Im not fully awake yet!!

Saturday 14/03 – PM
    Camogie Training (1 hour)

W/C 16/03

Monday 16/03 – Steady - PM
    Distance: 4 mi
    Time: 38:05
    Av Pace: 9:31 min/m
    Av HR: 159 bpm

Saturday 14/03 – PM
    Camogie Training (1 hour)

W/C 16/03

Monday 16/03 – Steady - PM
    Time: 38:05
    Av Pace: 9:31 min/m
    Av HR: 159 bpm

Great pace on the 4 miler! Your times seem to be falling nicely :-) Looking good for the k club assuming you still doing it ?

• Advertisement

Great pace on the 4 miler! Your times seem to be falling nicely :-) Looking good for the k club assuming you still doing it ?

Cheeers BG, ya target race at the mo is the K Club, it is giving me something to aim for which is great. Dont know what to aim for yet, hoping to maintain a 9:30 min/mile or a bit faster, will see how it goes!!

Tuesday 17/03 & Wednesday 18/03

Went out Monday night to celebrate Mr Mimo’s “big” birthday & Paddy’s day…and ended up drinking THE ENTIRE TOWN! For the past two years I have really cut down on the amount I drink, and I guess I am pretty conscious about it, but find now that on the rare occasion that I do go out drinking I a) completely loose the run of myself and drink any concoction that is put before me and b) end up dying a slow and painful death for days after!! So that is where those two days went, and Thursday morning... into the abyss!!

Thursday 19/03 – Steady - PM
    Time: 38:20
    Av Pace: 9:35 min/m
    Av HR: 149 bpm
    Splits: 9:54, 9:43, 9:07, 9:36

Going with the above decided that the club track session was not a good plan for this week. Was annoyed with myself as I enjoyed it so much last week had been really looking forward to it, but I knew the way I was feeling I wasn’t going to be up for it. Went out for a 4 miler instead, found it tough going, especially trying to maintain any kind of pace in mile 3, so called it a day. Also looked at the stats my HR was completely erratic, it was up and down for the entire run, I am wondering if that is to do with last few days or just a dodgy hr reading.

Friday 20/03 – AM
    Cross trainer WU (15 mins)
    Spin (40 mins)

Finally feeling like a human again, yippee! No more drink for a very long time thank you very much!

Also looked at the stats my HR was completely erratic, it was up and down for the entire run, I am wondering if that is to do with last few days or just a dodgy hr reading.

It could have something to do with it all right. I don't wear a HR monitor but I know my resting HR would be elevated after a lost weekend like that :D or after Xmas. Stands to reason it would have an effect on the rest of the HR range. So I'd imagine your readings will be back to normal soon enough with the abstinence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I know from reading Ososlo's she's made similar comments about the impact of a drinking session on HR so you're probably just bouncing back after it!

Friday 20/03 – Recovery – PM
    Distance: 2.75 mi
    Time: 29:53
    Av Pace: 10:53 min/m
    Av HR: 149 bpm

Saturday 21/03 – Sick

Sunday 22/03 – Easy – PM
    Distance: 2.75 mi
    Time: 30 mins

Had “woman’s issues” on Saturday (think it is going around lol!!) so didn’t get out at all, so by Sunday evening was dying to get out to do something. Still wasn’t feeling 100% so kept it short and sweet. Decided to go without the watch, and it was actually lovely, did the same loop as Friday. I think I have developed a garmin stats obsession lately. Think I will ditch the watch more often and stop worrying about pace and distance all the time.

W/C 23/03

Monday 23/03 – PM
    TRX Class (45 mins)

Set 1: TRX pike, TRX plank knee tucks, TRX suspended pendulum, TRX mountain climbers, TRX crunch & curl -5 reps @ 30 secs
    Set 2: Barbell (10kg) shoulder press, Barbell squats, TRX squat jumps, TRX chest press, TRX low row -5 reps @ 30 secs
    Set 3: Barbell bicep curl, TRX bicep curl, TRX tricep extension, TRX low row, TRX standing fall out -5 reps @ 30 secs
    Set 4: Burpies & Jumping Jacks -3 reps @ 30 secs

Hadn't done a TRX class in a lonnnnnng time…this really really hurt!

Tuesday 24/03 – AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)

Build up circuit: 6 exercises x 30sec, w/ 10sec rest – 1) Walking down to press up 2) Squat jacks with overhead lift 3) Cross body mountain climbers, 4) Lunges with shoulder press, 5) Standing oblique twists, 6) Jack knife - All with 4kg dumbbells
    2 build-up circuits + one full circuit

It could have something to do with it all right. I don't wear a HR monitor but I know my resting HR would be elevated after a lost weekend like that :D or after Xmas. Stands to reason it would have an effect on the rest of the HR range. So I'd imagine your readings will be back to normal soon enough with the abstinence!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I know from reading Ososlo's she's made similar comments about the impact of a drinking session on HR so you're probably just bouncing back after it!

Hopefully HR will be back to normal this week. The graph looked so weird, HR literally going way up and way down for the entire run, think I could have been clinically on the way out for some parts! Abstaining from the dreaded alcohol for a long time to come (famous last words!). Wedding dress fitting is in June so serious head down until then!

Tuesday 25/03 – Steady– PM
    Distance: 5 mi
    Time: 46:19
    Av Pace: 9:16 min/m

DOMS central after Monday night, so found this particularly tough. But again great to be running with others, pushing way more than I do on my own, and find maintaining my pace much better in a group rather than on my own.

Tumble weed central on here lately!

Wednesday 26/03 – PM
    3.1 Miles – 30mins (Treadmill)
    Body Sculpt Class (45 mins)

Thurs – Sun 27/03-29/03
    Nada: Personal disaster….line drawn under it

W/C 30/03

Monday 30/03 – AM
    Cross Trainer (20 mins)
    Spin Class (40 mins)

Tuesday 31/03 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    2 Build up circuits, 1 full circuit - 10kg Barbell: 1) Walking down to dead lift, 2) Barbell squat jumps, 3) Shoulder press, 4) Straight arm barbell lunges, 5) Barbell roll out, 6)Barbell sit ups

Wednesday 01/04 – PM
    3.1 Miles – 30mins (Treadmill)
    Cross Trainer (10 mins)
    Body Sculpt Class (45 mins)

Thursday 02/04
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    5 full circuits – 10kg barbell: 1) Barbell squat, 2) Bend over row, 3) Mountain climbers, 4) Shoulder press, 5) Upright row, 6) Squat jumps, 7) Military plant

Not great at all running wise for the past week. End of last week had bad news on something so had to try get that sorted out so running & exercise took a serious back seat. Couldn’t make group run Tues eve this week unfort, and am travelling this evening so that is out too, and busy weekend plans, so really it’s a case of start again Monday and chalk it down to a rubbish week. Onwards and upwards please! Happy Easter all :)

Sorry to hear that, Mimojo, but you weren't completely idle anyway! take the break and come back fresh.

• Advertisement

Friday 03/04 - Rest

Not exactly "rest", wedding stuff does not qualify as rest, but no exercise done today!

Saturday 04/04 - Steady - PM
    Distance: 4 mi w/ 12 strides (WU 2 mi, Strides 1 mi, CD 1 mi)
    Time: 39:39
    Av Pace: 9:55 min/m
    Av HR: 162 bpm

Home for the weekend & after a day bridesmaid dress shopping headed for nearby trail to get a few miles in on a lovely sunny evening. Did 2 miles WU, and then found a flat straight stretch & had my first attempt at strides. In hindsight I don't think that the stretch was long enough at all, and looking back I think I did them far too fast, but I will learn!! The distance was about 50m, and did this 12 times, with slow jog back. Paces for each ranged from 6:35 to 7:21 (taking 13 or 14 seconds) with most in the 6's, with jog back twice as long. Then did 1 mi CD at a very slow pace. Found it tough going, and think I need to find a longer stretch next time and go at a more sustainable pace, but did enjoy it all the same and found it a good challenge.

Sunday 05/04 - Recovery - AM
    Distance: 3.15 mi
    Time: 32:58
    Av Pace: 10:29 min/m

Headed to Coole Park for this one, really lovely morning to be out. Legs felt tired from the previous evening so keep the pace nice and easy. Did an out and back, way out was a bit of a drag uphill so was glad to be turning back home towards the Easter eggs!

W/C 06/04

Monday 06/04 - PM
    Camogie Training (1 Hour)

Tuesday 07/04 - AM
    HIIT Class (40 mins)
    2 Build up circuits, 1 full circuit - TRX: 1) Alternative trx rows, 2) Squat jumps, 3) TRX press up, 4) Trx lunges with high knee jump, 5) Standing trx obelisk twists, 6) knife jacks

Tuesday 07/04 - PM
    3 mi walk - 40 mins

Advertisement