Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runs End, Running Doesn’t

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

COP THE HELL ON!

:D

Some good ideas there, with the Saturday morning run (is there a parkrun near you ?) and the runmute (or partial runmute). Is there a run buddy you could arrange to meet up with a couple of evenings - harder to bail if there's someone waiting for you, and safer too. Did you ever join a gym near work ?

Congratulations on your wedding of course, hope you had a wonderful day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Congrats on wedding etc etc, now onto the real stuff - COP THE HELL ON :)

Plus one to all the other advice. Even start back with the weekend running, maybe one evening a week and before you know you it you're easily back into 2/3 times a week and can build on the motivation from there.

Could pick a race about about 8-12 weeks away that you can build towards (raheny 5 maybe?) and use that as your motivation to get out and put some training together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

COP THE HELL ON!

I've no more advice than you've already been given, just wanted to shout at someone ;-)

Congratulations on the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

^^^^^ they are all so mean!!! Don't mind them...

But HTFU out the door with you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

aquinn wrote: »
    COP THE HELL ON!

We all find it hard to drum up motivation to run. I'm finding it really difficult at the minute but getting ready to go out is the hardest struggle at times, ok so it's a bit windy at the minute so that has to be taken into consideration. Try a Saturday morning attempt and see how you go.
    Firedance wrote: »
    :D tough love? COP THE HELL ON!

can empathize completely mimojo, as soon as you find your routine you'll settle into it, I've recently discovered runmutes!! I run to (or from) a particular train station as the full run to work is a bit long for now. Would something like that work? The longer you leave it though the harder it will be to get back on the horse..
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    COP THE HELL ON!

:D

Some good ideas there, with the Saturday morning run (is there a parkrun near you ?) and the runmute (or partial runmute). Is there a run buddy you could arrange to meet up with a couple of evenings - harder to bail if there's someone waiting for you, and safer too. Did you ever join a gym near work ?

Congratulations on your wedding of course, hope you had a wonderful day!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Congrats on wedding etc etc, now onto the real stuff - COP THE HELL ON :)

Plus one to all the other advice. Even start back with the weekend running, maybe one evening a week and before you know you it you're easily back into 2/3 times a week and can build on the motivation from there.

Could pick a race about about 8-12 weeks away that you can build towards (raheny 5 maybe?) and use that as your motivation to get out and put some training together.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    COP THE HELL ON!

I've no more advice than you've already been given, just wanted to shout at someone ;-)

Congratulations on the wedding!
    annapr wrote: »
    ^^^^^ they are all so mean!!! Don't mind them...

But HTFU out the door with you!! :D

Cheers for the wedding congrats all, best day ever I have to say :-)

And thanks for all the tough love! It is badly needed! So FINALLY I have gotten back into some form of exercise, cant believe I left almost 5 months go by...shocking!

No, never ended up joining the gym near work. However the gym I was a member of opened at 6.30 in the morning but as I had moved jobs I couldnt make it, anyhow I think it was a sign last week as they have changed the opening hours to 6am! So I was there twice last week, and back in this morning and aiming for 3 visits this week. I am using the treadmill and doing some weights etc to ease me back in. I know its not technically proper running, but Im at least half way there to getting outside now!

On the runmute, I have just recently bought a bike, just so that when I get to where I park my car it is waiting and I know I can get into work on time. Before this I was Dublin Biking it but they are kinda unreliable as half the time the stands are empty in the mornings which ment a 40 minute walk to work. As there is no shower at work cant run in, but yes could potentially run out to the car in the evening, even one night a week, Ill put it on the to-do list!

Was away all weekend, but next weekend hoping to get out for a Saturday morning gaunt. Used to love hitting out on the long runs on Sat mornings so hoping that might reignite my love of running once more! Parkrun is also a great idea, and there is one very close to me.

I really wish I had a run buddy, just to keep me motivated. Had joined a running group, but once I switched jobs I am never home in time to meet them. Its a pity as they were such a nice bunch, and if I had been with them even a year I might have gotten to know some of them better, and been able to check if they met up later on other nights maybe. Ah well.

I feel like if I can get stuck into the gym again it will help me to get going on the running again. I know its an early start, but I really am a morning person and love to get exercise done before work, as with the commute in the evening I am fit for nothing when I get home.

Would love to look ahead towards a race, dont care what time I finish it in, really just to have a goal in sight, I think that is what I am missing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

It's December, so what's happening then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well? Will I just give up?

WHAT'S GOING ON?

After a year’s hiatus, have decided to start logging again.

From the last posts, will be honest spent a lot of last year faffing around at not a hell of a lot on the running front. Had a few injuries and mainly focused on the gym, and after a couple of failed attempts to get back out running it just never materialised, mainly due to my own laziness / couldn’t get my head into it / lack of motivation, really all the list of excuses.

I did get back into the gym so that was a major plus, but I was really lacking any kind of motivation or goals last year.

I should note I moved jobs last year. I know so many people commute and have done for years, I just couldn't hack it. It was a 3 hour daily commute and after 6 months I knew I couldn't sustain it, so was fortunate enough to get something close to home again, so weighted up all the pros and cons, and decided on the move, for my overall healthy (and sanity) it was the right move for me.

Anyhow fresh New Year, was determined to rediscover my love of running and kick myself back into action. I again considered joining a running club, but eventually settled on going onto GirlCrew for my area and was blessing to find someone interested in teaming up to go for runs locally, so that has been a major helping factor in getting back into it. I never realised before how nice it is to run with someone else, and it’s a motivation to have made plans with someone that you have to keep.

Started off slow, and mixed in the gym, and in recent weeks have been aiming to get in 3 runs at week, once is generally on a treadmill, and also incorporating a longer run at the weekend. So far so good, and can finally say I am back on track. Last weekend did Greystones to Bray and back which I really enjoyed. We did it about a month before and only managed one way, so it felt like a bit of an achievement this time around.

Finding pacing a bit of an issue and still struggling to find the right pace for the longer runs, but have done a lot better lately and keeping an eye on my watch to slow down a bit at the start rather than die a death at the end. Overall pace is ever so slowly increasing so hopefully in the next few months will see a bit more improvements.

It is feeling a bit more natural now, and look forward to getting out, whereas in January it was a struggle. Weather is helping matters and once the time changes will make all the difference.

Goals for this year: Complete the 5 Mile / 10km / 10 Mile and Half Marathon in the DCM Race Series.

Have been meaning to start logging again for a while now, I know it really helped before so here I go. Year to date looks something like this:

JANUARY

Wed 04/01/17: Strength Training (Legs) - 45 mins
    Thurs 05/01/17: Strength Training (Arms) - 1 hour
    Sat 07/01/17: 1 hour Walk
    Sun 08/01/17: 45 min Walk

Mon 09/01/17: Treadmill Run – 40 mins
    Tues 10/01/17 Gym: Treadmill Run (20), Rowing (7), Arm Machines (15) / Walk 50 mins PM
    Wed 11/01/17: 3.31 Mile Run, Time: 37:34, Pace 11:21, Avr HR: 171
    Fri 13/01/17: Gym: Treadmill (30), Row (10), Arm Machines (20)
    Sat 14/01/17: 3.1 Mile Run, Time: 32:52, Pace: 10:36, Avr HR: 164

Mon 16/01/17: HIIT Circuit (40 mins)
    Tues 17/01/17: Treadmill Intervals (20), Stepper (10), Arm Machines (15)
    Wed 18/01/17: 4.61 Mile Run, Time: 51:59, Pace: 11:17, Avr HR: 161
    Fri 20/01/17: HIIT Circuit (45 mins)
    Sat 21/01/17: 4.5 Mile Run @ Phoenix Park, Time: 48:13, Pace: 10:41, Avr HR: 158, + 1 Mile Cooldown @ Pace 11:05 + 1 Mile Walk

Mon 23/01/17: HIIT Circuit (45 mins)
    Tue 24/01/17: Treadmill Intervals (22), Row (8), Arms (30)
    Wed 25/01/17: Weights Workout (40)
    Thurs 26/01/17: 4.16 Mile Run, Time: 46:23, Pace 11:09. Avr HR: 160
    Sat 28/01/17: HIIT Workout (1 hour)
    Sun 29/01/17: Bohernabreena Reservoir Walk 2hrs

Mon 30/01/17: HIIT Circuit (51 mins)

FEBRUARY

Wed 01/02/17: 4.58 Mile Run, Time: 50:23, Pace: 11:00, Av HR: 153
    Thurs 02/02/17: Gym: Treadmill (23), Row (6), Arms (20)
    Fri 03/02/17: HIIT Circuit (47 mins)
    Sun 05/02/17: Walk (46 mins)

Mon 06/02/17: HIIT Circuit (53 mins)
    Tues: 07/02/17: Gym: Stepper (20), Treadmill (15), Spin Bike (10)
    Wed 08/02/17: 4.59 Mile Run, Time: 49:13, Pace: 10:43, Avr HR: 160
    Sat 11/02/17: Camogie Training (50 mins)

Wed 15/02/17: Gym: Stepper (20), Row (8), Arms (20)
    Fri 17/02/17: HIIT Circuit (48 mins)
    Sat 18/02/17: Greystones to Bray Cliff Walk – 5 Mile, Time: 55:52, Pace: 11:11, Avr HR: 166
    Sat 18/02/17: Camogie Training (1 hour)

Mon 20/02/17: HIIT Circuit (37 mins)
    Tues 21/02/17: Gym: Treadmill (31), Stepper (15)
    Thurs 23/02/17: Gym: Treadmill (20), Treadmill Sprints (10), Treadmill Incline Walk (5), Stepper (10)
    Fri 24/02/17: HIIT Circuit (40 mins)
    Sun 26/02/17: 6 Mile Run @ Phoenix Park, Time: 01:00:59, Pace: 10:10, Avr HR: 168, + 1 Mile Cooldown Walk

Tues 28/02/17: 4.6 Mile Run, Time: 48:12, Pace: 10:25,Av HR: 157

MARCH - TO DATE

Thurs 02/03/17: 3.1 Mile Run, Time: 30:41, Pace: 09:54, Av HR: 153
    Sat 04/03/17: 6.6 Mile Run @ Phoenix Park, Time: 01:12, Pace: 10:52, Av HR: 158
    Sat 04/03/17: Camogie Training (1 hour)

Mon 06/03/17: HIIT Circuit (30 mins)
    Tues 07/03/17: Gym : Treadmill (32), Stepper (13)
    Wed 08/03/17: Camogie Training (1 hour)
    Sat 11/03/17: Greystones to Bray and return / Greystones to Bray 4 Miles, Time: 47:30, Pace: 11:53, Av HR: 158 // 1 Mile Walk // Bray to Greystones 3 Miles, Time: 36:11, Pace: 12:04, Avr HR: 158

Mon 13/03/17 AM: Gym Arm & Core Weights Workout (45 mins)
    Mon 13/03/17 PM: 4.68 Mile Run, Pace: 10:30, Av HR: 157
    Tues 14/03/17: 2 Mile Recovery Run, Time: 20:48, Pace: 10:24, Av HR: 155
    Wed 15/03/17 AM: Gym: Stepper (15), Row (6), Arm Machines, Leg Press & Weighted Crunches (20 mins)
    Wed 15/03/17: PM: Camogie Training (1 hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Welcome back! Great progress made since the new year. That's super to have found a running buddy too. Best of luck with the race series.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Welcome back! Great progress made since the new year. That's super to have found a running buddy too. Best of luck with the race series.

Aw cheers Bungy Girl :-) Ya feeling like I am starting to make a bit of progress I hope, and starting to really enjoy it again. Must head over to your thread, I have A LOT to catch up on!

Week to far...

Sat 18/03/17 AM: Howth Cliff Walk 4.2 Mile, Time: 1:30:00

Lovely to get out after Paddys Day, even if my head was feeling pretty shuck! First trip to Howth and def want to return to give running the loop a try.

Mon 20/03/17 PM: 4.74 Mile Run, Pace: 11:15 , Av HR: 145

After being out Saturday night wasnt feeling the best on Monday, but running buddy said she was heading out so went along, and was glad I did. Neither of us were feeling 100% so keep the pace slow and steady, and ended up enjoying it, and was glad I got a run in early in the week.

Tues 21/03/17 AM: Gym: Treadmill 2 Mile Run, Pace: 10:34, Av HR: 142 (21) , Stepper (20), Row (6), Weights Machines (20)

Nice recovery run, with more cardio and weights thrown in, a good session

Wed 22/03/17 PM: Weights Session (40 min)

Was supposed to go camogie training but the weather was unreal, so chickened out, and opted for a weights session instead. My OH has a bench press, barbell, kettlebell etc at home, so made up a circuit for myself and got through it. Really enjoyed it and want to incorporate into my plan on a weekly basis. Plenty of squats and lunges done!

If I get a change will get out for a short run this evening. Tomorrow morning gym HIIT planned, and long run Sat morning with the aim of doing 7 miles.

• Advertisement

Fri 24/03/17 AM: HIIT Circuit (40 mins)

Nice 40 minute circuit, 5 rounds of 7 mins with breaks, mix of cardio, arms and core.

Sat 25/03/17 AM: 8.68 Mile LSR @ Phoenix Park, Time: 1:34:42, Pace: 10:55, Av HR: 158 bpm

Really enjoyed this run, and feel like it was good progress. Gorgeous morning in the park, we set out really slowly and kept an eye on the pace. We had planned to do 7 Miles, but feeling good so added on a bit more, and could have gone longer at the end so that is a good sign. Over and done with by 10am so not a bad mornings work!

Sat 25/03/17 PM: Camogie Traning (1 hour)

Last training session before our first match on Monday so it wasn’t too strenuous. Legs were feeling pretty tired so was glad.

Sun 26/03/17: Walk @ Portmarnock & Malahide, 11 Miles, c. 3.5 hours

Such a fab day out, spent a few hour walking on Portmarnock beach, over and back to Malahide, and another stretch of the beach for good measure. Lovely to be out for the day, spend too long stuck in an office all week. If only the weather was like this all the time!

Leg and body was pretty tired last night, so long hot bath before bed.

W/C 27/03/2017

Mon 27/03 PM: Camogie Match – League Match Round 1 (H)
    First round of the league, and we got a win! Was absolutely shattered after the match, Tuesday was a right off.

Wed 29/03 PM: Camogie Training (1 hour)
    Still feeling pretty tired, and knee was hurting, likely should have taken a break from training but anyhow. Rested Thurs and Fri, and decided against LSR Sat morning as knee still wasn’t right.

Sat 01/03 PM: Camogie Training (1 hour)
    A bad week for running, but first match of the year was always going to tough, and when knee was sort decided it was best to rest more

W/C 03/04/2017

Mon 03/04 PM: Camogie Match – League Match Round 2 (A)
    Another tough match, but 2nd week of 2, good start!

Tuesday 04/04 PM: Camogie Puck around, Laps & Sprints (1 hour)
    Did a few easy laps of the pitch, along with 5 x 15 sprints of the width, along with some pucking around.

Wed 05/04 PM: Camogie Training (1 hour, 15 mins)

Saturday 08/04/17 AM: 6.7 Mile LSR @ Phoenix Park, Time: 1:13:31, Pace: 10:58, Av HR: 157 bpm

Glad to be back running, legs felt good, and took it nice and handy. Hope to get more short runs in next week along with the lsr.

Also decided to freeze my gym membership for the next few months, will do a bit of strength work myself at home, along with camogie and increase the running frequency again.

W/C 10/04/2017

Monday 10/04 AM: Arms & Abs (35 Mins)
    Monday 10/04 PM: Camogie Training (1 hr, 15 mins)

Advertisement