Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre for direct fed exchange lines

Options
  • 12-12-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I am an eircom broadband ADSL2+ customer with a direct fed exchange line.  I cannot get eFibre because my line is directly connected to the Douglas exchange, DGS1_E01.  Today, I received a letter from eircom dated 10 December 2014 stating

Service Information Announcement regarding your Broadband Service

Dear Customer,

This Service Information Announcement is to inform you that the local broadband exchange in Cork is now enabled for fibre broadband.

Fibre broadband can provide up to 100Mb speeds depending how far your home is from the exchange.

If you would like more information on this Service Information Announcement, please visit eircom.ie or call 1800 369 369.

Thank you,

eircom

However, nothing has changed for me.  I still cannot get eFibre.  The eircom wholesale website still has the Douglas exchange in red.  The letter is implying that direct fed exchange lines can now get eFibre, but we still cannot.  Can you please explain what is going on and why eircom is sending out letters that are not accurate?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

finbarrc wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an eircom broadband ADSL2+ customer with a direct fed exchange line.  I cannot get eFibre because my line is directly connected to the Douglas exchange, DGS1_E01.  Today, I received a letter from eircom dated 10 December 2014 stating

Service Information Announcement regarding your Broadband Service

Dear Customer,

This Service Information Announcement is to inform you that the local broadband exchange in Cork is now enabled for fibre broadband.

Fibre broadband can provide up to 100Mb speeds depending how far your home is from the exchange.

If you would like more information on this Service Information Announcement, please visit eircom.ie or call 1800 369 369.

Thank you,

eircom

However, nothing has changed for me.  I still cannot get eFibre.  The eircom wholesale website still has the Douglas exchange in red.  The letter is implying that direct fed exchange lines can now get eFibre, but we still cannot.  Can you please explain what is going on and why eircom is sending out letters that are not accurate?

Thanks
    Hi finbarrc

Apologies for the misleading information supplied on the leaflet - I can however confirm that the information contained is not in reference to lines directly fed from the exchange but rather uses the term exchange to reference the greater area.

I can fully understand that the information can misguide people and I will pass on your feedback to efibre operations,

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 34 finbarrc

Hi Al,

Thats odd, because with standard eFibre, the distance from the exchange is totally irrelevant.  The distance from the eFibre cabinet is what determines the speed.  With exchange based VDSL, it would be the distance from the exchange that matters.  The leaflet that was sent out does not make any sense for a standard cabinet based VDSL eFibre service.  Something is not quite right here...

The leaflet clearly talks about distance from the exchange, and as I said, for standard cabinet based eFibre, that is irrelevant...

finbarrc wrote: »
    Hi Al,

Thats odd, because with standard eFibre, the distance from the exchange is totally irrelevant.  The distance from the eFibre cabinet is what determines the speed.  With exchange based VDSL, it would be the distance from the exchange that matters.  The leaflet that was sent out does not make any sense for a standard cabinet based VDSL eFibre service.  Something is not quite right here...

The leaflet clearly talks about distance from the exchange, and as I said, for standard cabinet based eFibre, that is irrelevant...
    Apologies for the inconvenience and false hope created as result of this finbarrc - I can assure you that the leaflet is certainly not intended for lines connected directly to the exchange.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 34 finbarrc

Hi Al,

I have to revisit this yet again, as my local exchange Douglas, Cork DGS1_E01 has now changed to blue status which means Fibre build commenced - completion work is in progress on the eircom wholesale website and several other exchanges around the country have also changed to blue status.  This means that exchange based VDSL for direct fed lines is DEFINITELY on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Sure seems like it, ASN1_E01 here at the exchange in Askeaton, Co. Limerick after changing to blue on the map signalling the cabinet build is in progress

• Advertisement

Sure seems like it, ASN1_E01 here at the exchange in Askeaton, Co. Limerick after changing to blue on the map signalling the cabinet build is in progress
    Yes it certainly looks good guys,

It's worth noting that the plans are ultimately at a wholesale level only and we do not have further information on expected completion/ enablement dates yet. As soon as I do I will let you know though.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement