Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Bakery

Options
  • 12-12-2014 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

What's the quality and the price of their stuff like ?
    I usually shop in lidl but not the bakery.
    I would but bakery food in super value for the simple reason I have always bought their even when it was super Quinn in Sutton

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

I've consistently found their bread excellent and delicious. It's quite German in its character, which means it differs by being of higher density, but very hearty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

The bakery is great! There's a multi seed loaf that I get which is lovely! Crossient and apple turnovers lovely too! Also very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

It's the same crap IAWS/Cuisine de France Bread/Rolls & Pastries that can be found in most spar & tesco shops in the country. They use awful bleached flour, the stuff is rubbish IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

It's the same crap IAWS/Cuisine de France Bread/Rolls & Pastries that can be found in most spar & tesco shops in the country.

No it's not. I can't eat that Cuisine de France but the lidl bread is completely different. Bloody lovely in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd put it halfway between CdeF (muck) and proper bread (very hard to find).

They've recently had a cheese sourdough - while it's not terribly sourdoughy, it's bloody addictive and I could eat a loaf at one sitting very easily :eek:

Agree with whoever above said their browns are quite rye-ey, much more on the lines of German bread than our brown bread. Quite delicious though.

And their apple turnovers are to die for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    No it's not. I can't eat that Cuisine de France but the lidl bread is completely different. Bloody lovely in fact!

Sorry, but it is all the same. All from the same supplier. Look at the rolls, baguettes, doughnuts in Lidl and Tesco - all the same stuf, just compare the bread rolls..exact same product from the exact same supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Sorry, but it is all the same. All from the same supplier. Look at the rolls, baguettes, doughnuts in Lidl and Tesco - all the same stuf, just compare the bread rolls..exact same product from the exact same supplier

They don't even look alike. Anyway... if you don't like it don't eat it. Ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's nice bread - the pumpkin seed bread is especially good. But I think it may be going downhill a little.
    They had really, really nice lozenge-shaped rolls sold as 'Tuscan Rolls', and have stopped doing them in the last couple of months, for instance. Shop workers have pointed out long rectangular rolls to me saying they're the same but a different shape; they're not.
    They also don't have some breads you'd expect in an Irish bakery, like delicious batch bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's nice bread - the pumpkin seed bread is especially good. But I think it may be going downhill a little.
    They had really, really nice lozenge-shaped rolls sold as 'Tuscan Rolls', and have stopped doing them in the last couple of months, for instance. Shop workers have pointed out long rectangular rolls to me saying they're the same but a different shape; they're not.
    They also don't have some breads you'd expect in an Irish bakery, like delicious batch bread.

Aww, I loved those Tuscan rolls - they were a real workout for the jaw :D

Their breads seem to gradually change over the months - some come and some go - that cheese sourdough is a new one on me (not very sourdough, but very delicious).

Keeps me coming in to see what's new anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maggiemae

Can recommend the berry scones and the apple turnovers. I get the white cob occasionally too. They are all very nice and reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I like the cheese rolls but haven't seen them in ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

they bring it in already made ,then they cook it

its top quality taste

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you buy the french stick or baguettes then yes, it's on par with CdeF rubbish but their rye, seed and cheese breads are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you buy the french stick or baguettes then yes, it's on par with CdeF rubbish but their rye, seed and cheese breads are excellent.

And they do great pretzels along with fab powdered sugar donuts. I like the way you can get them slices too (I'm a sucker for a gadget) but you get so much more out of the loaf. Great value!

Advertisement