Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with Cortana and Quiet Hours.

• 12-12-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering is anyone else here experiencing any issues with the latest DP update which included Cortana for European countries?

I had Cortana use the US regional settings until the UK regional settings became available with a previous update, and Quiet Hours worked perfectly (automatic settings kicked in when they were supposed to, according to calendar events and scheduled times, Inner circle worked flawlessly).

Now however, I tried to change the regional settings to IE when I got the latest update, and upon restarting the phone, Cortana wasn't available, had to set it back to UK regional settings. This seems to have had an effect on my Quiet Hours settings, which no longer kick in automatically.

I've tried the usual fixes like resetting Cortana, deleting cloud data, and even when I set the time manually to the minute before Quiet Hours are due to kick in (23:00 - 07:00), Quiet Hours kick in, but then upon setting the time manually to 6:59; at 7:00, Quiet Hours do not turn off automatically!

I'd hate to have to do a full reset of the phone at this point because it's been flawlessly reliable up to this point, and I've never had any issues with any of the previous updates.

I've done a bit of googling already, and this issue doesn't seem to be related to this particular update, so I'm just wondering has anyone else here experienced this issue and could offer any explanation as to what may have caused it and how they fixed it, before I have to go doing a phone reset.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Beagslife

Quiet Hours hasn't worked for me since I installed 8.1. The message on the app page states "This application is incompaible with Windows Pohone 8.1!" - not my spelling! I also have DP latest version.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Beagslife wrote: »
    Quiet Hours hasn't worked for me since I installed 8.1. The message on the app page states "This application is incompaible with Windows Pohone 8.1!" - not my spelling! I also have DP latest version.

MC

I just had a look at that app there (the app itself is called 'Quiet Hours' on the Market), but it's a different issue from "Quiet Hours" which are part of Cortana.

I don't think you need that app in WPh 8.1 though. I may have to consider a full reset at this point as it doesn't seem to be a common enough issue. I'm hoping it's resolved by resetting the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Have you tried reverting back to US first, get Cortana up and running, see if quiet hours works then? I know there's a bug with the UK settings where even the lock sound doesn't work. I'd try that first before you go resetting the phone.

Also, Cortana hasn't been released for Ireland yet. I've just this morning gone from UK setting to US on my 930 and all is good, and was good before. US Cortana is much better, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

I'd go back to US settings for your phone. UK Cortana doesn't feel right to me! If this doesn't work a wipe might be ur only option. The scenarios of being set up as a US user then moving to irish and then to UK is something I doubt was planned by Windows phone developers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Cheers for that muff, I'll give it a try now. I had an appointment scheduled there for 19:00 - 20:00, quiet hours kicked in at 19:00, failed to come out of quiet hours at 20:00.

You're right too about the US Cortana, I found the AI had much more "personality" than the UK version, hoped it would improve over time, but the regional US settings were a bit of a pain for Market and Location services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement