Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains powered smoke alarms

Options
  • 12-12-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Do mains powered smoke alarms need to be replaced? I noticed a best before date on the side of mine when replacing the battery backup on a mains powered one. It's about 10 years old and out of date by 2 years. Do they need to be replaced every 10 years? I was surprised to see the best before date, I had never heard that before?

Appreciate any advice ........new mains alarms are about 35 euro each

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Domestic smoke alarms tend to have a life of about ten years, so yes - they should be replaced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mine too is out of date, but i can't do anything with it until after the weekend as per property management rules. Is there anyway i can stop the beeping in the mean time?. Going bonkers over it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Mine too is out of date, but i can't do anything with it until after the weekend as per property management rules. Is there anyway i can stop the beeping in the mean time?. Going bonkers over it..

Just replace the battery in it to stop beeping.
    Best to do all smoke/heat detectors at the same time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Battery is out, replaced with new one (correctly) but still beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It sounds like a low battery indicator. Either try replacing all batteries with new (Lithium if you like) otherwise perhaps there is a bit of dust falling into the detector. They can be temperamental enough.

• Advertisement

Battery is out, replaced with new one (correctly) but still beeping.

Turn power off
    Disconnect mains connection
    Remove battery
    Check polarity again
    Insert battery
    Press test button for 10 secs
    Reconnect mains connection
    Turn power back on

Do this with all detectors

Sometimes they take an hour or so to "settle" after activation.

I've hoovered it and everything that was suggested by some research on google.. What i'm asking is would there be a way to stop it beeping as it'll be monday before i can get anyone to it..

meercat wrote: »
    Turn power off
    Disconnect mains connection
    Remove battery
    Check polarity again
    Insert battery
    Press test button for 10 secs
    Reconnect mains connection
    Turn power back on

Do this with all detectors

Sometimes they take an hour or so to "settle" after activation.

Thanks for this but i'm in an apartment and can't disconnect the power for the alarm as it's wired into the building as opposed to my apartment's supply.. I'm screwed i guess? :(

Should be a building alarm and one specifically for your Appartment.
    Ie 2 different detection systems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Gremlinertia

My mains smoke alarms are not connected directly to the mains as such.

They are mounted to a base plate, that is connected to the mains....if that makes sense.

You can remove them easily from the baseplate by sliding them in a certain direction. Not sure if that counts for all types though!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

I've hoovered it and everything that was suggested by some research on google.. What i'm asking is would there be a way to stop it beeping as it'll be monday before i can get anyone to it..

If you press and hold the test button for about 5 seconds it should cancel out the alarm siren.
    Mains wired alarms come with a base plate connection,that part is the hard wired part,and the actual alarm slides and clicks onto the base plate.
    The slightest bit of dirt or cobweb or even a small fly in it will set it off,also a loose connection will trigger it too.Ask the management company to sort it out as if the mains is not connected to your consumer board in the apartment then its the managements responsability to sort this matter for you.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Dont use cheap 9v batteries,only use Duracell or Energizer 9v batteries as thats what allmost all mains smoke alarms specify to use as a backup battery.

Yeah looks like i'm stuck with it for the weekend. I looked up the make for instructions too but does not mention baseplate (perhaps to stop amateurs) As i feared will have to wait for property management on Monday..

Thanks for the useful stuff though folks.

Advertisement