Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More efficiency for 2015 BMW 6 Series

• 12-12-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭

Just came across the below article...

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/other/more-efficiency-for-2015-bmw-6-series/ar-BBgDPEj?ocid=mailsignout
    The 2015 BMW 6 Series will be cheaper to run than ever before. Revised versions of the BMW 6 Series Coupe, BMW 6 Series Convertible and four-door BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe saloon will go on sale on 1 March.

The 3.0-litre engines in the diesel 640d and petrol 640i models use a range of new technologies to drive down running costs. The BMW 640d emits just 139g/km for a £130 a year road tax bill. Despite this, no 6 Series takes more than 5.5 seconds cover 0-62mph.

BMW has tweaked the exhaust system to produce a more sporting sound, and the Driving Experience Control system allows a valve to be adjusted to increase the exhaust volume further.

All three versions are fitted with an eight-speed automatic gearbox.

The 6 Series suspension has been adjusted, and a range of optional extras, such as Dynamic Damper Control allows the driver to configure the way the car drives.

Exterior tweaks include new headlights, a new front bumper with a large cooling vent, a new chrome strip on the rear bumper and new paint options and alloy wheel designs.

Inside, there's a new clearer display screen and a new multi-function instrument panel alongside new, glossy trim panels.

BMW's ConnectedDrive system will be standard on all 6 Series models. It features a SIM card in the car, which allows access to a range of services including real-time traffic information, hotel room reservation, flight information and details of local cash machines and pharmacies.

BMW is yet to reveal the final specification and pricing, but said the model will be better value than before, thanks to “significant enhancements” to the list of standard equipment.

The range will include SE, M Sport and Sport models, and the BMW M6 will remain the flagship of the range.

2015 BMW 6 Series performance and economy
    Model Power 0-62mph Top Speed MPG CO2 g/km*
    BMW 640d Coupe/Convertible/Gran Sport

Coupé/Convertible/

313 5.3/5.5/5.4 155mph 54.3/52.3/52.33 139/144/143
    BMW 640i 320 5.3/5.5/5.4 155mph 38.2/37.2/37.7 172/176/174
    BMW 650i 450 4.6/4.6/4.6 155mph 32.9/31.7/32.9 199/208/199
    BMW M6 560 4.2/4.3/4.2 155mph 28.5/27.4/28.5 231/239/231

so the 640d will be E280 a year to tax! LOL! I find it fantastic that those who want to / can afford to buy one of these cars are no longer being fleeced on motor tax / vrt to hand over to the parasites in government... The absolute penal rates on the 6 cylidner on CC are criminal, now of course no one is forced to go out and buy one, but I love my 325. But the fact that there is nothing they can do about the constant lowering of rates from the likes of Bm who used to be done due to larger CC, delights me. Kind of likes spoons here sticking it to Diageo and Heineken :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The lowering of rates is nothing to do with BMW wanting to stick it to the system though, they have no choice in the matter. It's being imposed on them by the EU. I wonder if the cost of a 640 these days is significantly lower than the equivalent older model as given the lower VRT rates that now apply it should be. But I bet it doesn't.

Seriously impressive figures, was taken for a spin in the older 640d and it's seriously rapid. Only a lotto win away from a 640 GC:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

You think it's great that someone who can afford a 100k car gets a road tax break???

That's regressive taxation, and there aren't many who'd agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

You think it's great that someone who can afford a 100k car gets a road tax break???

That's regressive taxation, and there aren't many who'd agree with you.

In 10 years time, you'll be able to buy a 640d and have decent tax... be nice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Anyone who pays 100k for a car has paid enough tax ie at least 50ks worth, never mind that to actually pay 100k for a car youd have to earn 200k. so thats 150 k of tax for a 50k car. And is the car really even worth 50k? Old 6ers, 7s, and S classes once the prestige is gone are worth sod all.
    The road tax whether its 300 quid or 2k makes literally no difference in this position.
    Even if road tax on 4 liter cars was lowered to say 600 from the current 1800 then I doubt people would go for the larger engines. Just look at the UK where road tax is low and no one wants/drives the big engined cars except the odd person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

lomb wrote: »
    Anyone who pays 100k for a car has paid enough tax ie at least 50ks worth, never mind that to actually pay 100k for a car youd have to earn 200k. so thats 150 k of tax for a 50k car. And is the car really even worth 50k? Old 6ers, 7s, and S classes once the prestige is gone are worth sod all.
    The road tax whether its 300 quid or 2k makes literally no difference in this position.
    Even if road tax on 4 liter cars was lowered to say 600 from the current 1800 then I doubt people would go for the larger engines. Just look at the UK where road tax is low and no one wants/drives the big engined cars except the odd person.

I disagree. I saw a lot more 650i's, E400s and the likes in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've been living in the UK for over 2 years now and I've yet to see a 650i. I've seen the odd 640i, but the 640d (and the 635d before it) is by a country mile the most popular version of 6 series.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Sobanek wrote: »
    In 10 years time, you'll be able to buy a 640d and have decent tax... be nice :p

Unlikely as us suckers paying massive engine size rates gradually move to newer co2 rates and cars, the tax take will drop and they will increase the rates massively. Hitting what are currently low rate cars hard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just came across the below article...

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/other/more-efficiency-for-2015-bmw-6-series/ar-BBgDPEj?ocid=mailsignout

so the 640d will be E280 a year to tax! LOL! I find it fantastic that those who want to / can afford to buy one of these cars are no longer being fleeced on motor tax / vrt to hand over to the parasites in government... The absolute penal rates on the 6 cylidner on CC are criminal, now of course no one is forced to go out and buy one, but I love my 325. But the fact that there is nothing they can do about the constant lowering of rates from the likes of Bm who used to be done due to larger CC, delights me. Kind of likes spoons here sticking it to Diageo and Heineken :D

Don't worry now that diesels have finally been recognised by officials as the filthy engines that they are the taxes on them will fly up, air quality has been destroyed in most European cities since they started pushing diesel as being good for the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yes, but for the moment the diesel is much cheaper to tax, and probably cheaper to buy, and it is almost as powerful as the petrol, so frankly you'd be bonkers to even consider anything other the 640d (unless you want the M6) - and goodness knows I don't like diesels!

Perhaps in maybe 20 years time, when the Irish Government cops themselves on, and ups the tax on diesels, the 640i will make sense - but for now the diesel is by a country mile the best best buy.

Advertisement