Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friday night Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Didn't this happen 10 years ago and fail?

Barstooler heaven!

Great news for fans wanting to travel of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BT or Sky or Both to pay billions over the odds for the best football league in the world;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Excellent news IMO. Friday night games were one of the better things about being in the Championship, so I'm glad to see it coming to the Premier League.

Finishing work, winning a big game on Friday night and celebrating for the weekend sounds perfect. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bad news for the LOI

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well its a max of 10 games and with 4 months not clashing with LOI I don't see LOI being hit too hard.

They won't be always big games\teams either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One of the comments under the article

"Friday's for getting s*tfaced after work and poking the missus. Sorry premier league, you're way down the list!"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They won't be always big games\teams either.

I would be surprised if they ever have a big team on there, except maybe the first game.

It'll be after 2am in Asia when the game is on and that is a major market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So you mean its not all randomly done by a computer?!? But.....but.....the computer does the fixtures! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Will play havoc with my Saturday morning fantasy football schedule

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Kirby wrote: »
    So you mean its not all randomly done by a computer?!? But.....but.....the computer does the fixtures! :P

The computer roughly does the fixtures for the game week, TV and other competitions dictate what day/time they are played.

Friday night football would be grand for the times I'm home early on a Friday but I can see myself being well pissed off with it if there's a decent game on and I'm late getting out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Can't see us seeing Liverpool on Friday nights anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Didn't this happen 10 years ago and fail?

Try 30 years ago
    The season 1983–84 also saw the first Match of the Day Live broadcasts of First Division matches, beginning with Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur on 16 December – a Friday evening fixture. (This came some two months after the start of ITV's Big Match Live.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_of_the_Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Sitting in a boozer at the moment and it's great to be watching Ronaldo Bale and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

there will be no derbys on a Friday night:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely not that long ago.

All the articles are referring to regular Friday night football, so maybe they were just occasional games I am thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If there is to be Friday night football, it should be for teams in the CL before knockout games on Tuesdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

KevIRL wrote: »
    Will play havoc with my Saturday morning fantasy football schedule
    Yes this is a big-un. If there is a Monday night game as well it will be impossible to make decisions so early. NFL fantasy football allows you to alter your line up after the Thursday night game as long as your player has not played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yes this is a big-un. If there is a Monday night game as well it will be impossible to make decisions so early. NFL fantasy football allows you to alter your line up after the Thursday night game as long as your player has not played.

So does ultimate FPL which is a superior game to the regular FPL in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Showing games on TV at stupid times without compensation will definitely damage LOI attendances.

But enough about RTE coverage of LOI.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The computer roughly does the fixtures for the game week, TV and other competitions dictate what day/time they are played.

Friday night football would be grand for the times I'm home early on a Friday but I can see myself being well pissed off with it if there's a decent game on and I'm late getting out of work

This sums up the problems with Irish Football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sounds good. Now just get rid of the 3pm ban and have all those matches live to.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sounds good. Now just get rid of the 3pm ban and have all those matches live to.

They are live.

Just not on British or Irish television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Presumably the FAI could block Sky/BT showing games in Ireland in the Friday evening slot if they really wanted to push it.
    More likely obviously that they'll get six figure compo and have a big party in FAIHQ.

Presumably the FAI could block Sky/BT showing games in Ireland in the Friday evening slot if they really wanted to push it.
    More likely obviously that they'll get six figure compo and have a big party in FAIHQ.

Not a chance they'd be able to block it I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not a chance they'd be able to block it I'd imagine

The FAI were able to get Sunday afternoon transmissions blocked at the time of the first Sky deal back in 1993(maybe 92?) as Sunday afternoon was the primary LOI slot back then.
    So Sky paid compensation in order to be allowed transmit the game into Ireland, the money was used to fund a floodlight build and the LOI moved to Friday evenings.
    Now if Sky/BT are going to transmit games in the Friday timeslot wouldn't the same rules still apply? I don't know for definite but the precedent is clearly there.

edit: Hard to get internet links back to newspaper stories of the early 90s!, but this discussion from foot.ie seems to confirm it.
    http://foot.ie/archive/index.php/t-105697.html
    Sky Sports (BskyB?) had to compensate under UEFA rules (I believe UEFA rules not European Community) as they officially broadcasted Sunday afternoon games into the Republic and so the juristiction of the League of Ireland. As most games were on Sunday afternoons.
    ITV were doing the same thing for a few years but they did not broadcast officially and were not liable. Viewers benefitted with ITV through illegal boosters at least.
    It was effectively an understanding that LoI change their day of matches or no broadcast of foreign games on primary match days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

They are live.

Just British
    Setanta have one 3o'clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They are live.

That's what i was clearly referring to

3pm choice selection on Sky or whoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Can't see us seeing Liverpool on Friday nights anytime soon

That's cos they'll be in the championship next season ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely not that long ago.

All the articles are referring to regular Friday night football, so maybe they were just occasional games I am thinking of.

Leeds v Arsenal iirc. Leeds trying to avoid the drop and Arsenal trying to go unbeaten.

Not sure it was a failure, it just hasn't been kept to. Tbf the UK broadcast market, and particularly the pay tv one, is very different to the US one where prime time games are a much bigger deal.

Would PL games on Friday be worth more to the Irish economy than LOI games losing a couple of hundred punters? Considering it will be the big champions league teams playing on a Friday, it will be very much welcomed for the pub trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would PL games on Friday be worth more to the Irish economy than LOI games losing a couple of hundred punters? Considering it will be the big champions league teams playing on a Friday, it will be very much welcomed for the pub trade.

In fairness not everything can just be brought back to the 'economy'. It seems the go to buzzword for seeing a positive. It would not be very much welcomed for the LOI, a lot of people care about actually having a league in this country, not whether the coffee down the street might be a bit cheaper in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This sums up the problems with Irish Football

Why ?
    Because its hard to get out early on Friday to get to a game, especially for away games ?

Do you suggest a return to Sunday afternoon ?

I am going to contradict my last comment by saying a Friday night ban would be beneficial for pubs. Most pubs will have access to the games if they have a British Sky Card or have access to another satellite source like a lot already have. If the games were blacked out on TV it would probably lead to more people leaving their homes to go out to the local to watch games.

The games won't be blacked out though. Times have changed since the early 90s. Everybody has get arounds to watching what they want. It would be pointless to try and police it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'm all for it as long as it helps English teams in Europe get a few days rest which they should be doing. They do it in Spain and Germany so why not in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why ?
    Because its hard to get out early on Friday to get to a game, especially for away games ?

Do you suggest a return to Sunday afternoon ?
    If you can't get out of work early to get to games you need to find a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's died on it's arse it seems - the gruaniad podcast noted there have been no Friday games since before Christmas and none are scheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's died on it's arse it seems - the gruaniad podcast noted there have been no Friday games since before Christmas and none are scheduled.

Sure with the LOI season back can you blame them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Would I be right in saying there's only been two this season? (United v Southampton and Chelsea v Liverpool).

I thought the main idea behind it was to create bigger gaps between games for clubs in European action.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying there's only been two this season? (United v Southampton and Chelsea v Liverpool).

I thought the main idea behind it was to create bigger gaps between games for clubs in European action.

I think they had one over the Christmas period too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ye Everton hull over Xmas I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Palace v Everton was one as well.

It can only really become something if they have it every single week.

Don't really see how they can't schedule 1 game every Friday for the entire season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They could only have a max of 10 this season and it is tied in with MNF for the number of times teams can play in that TV package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I was only discussing this the other day, not even one scheduled in for Good Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kfallon wrote: »
    I was only discussing this the other day, not even one scheduled in for Good Friday!

They rescheduled the Leeds-Newcastle match to the Friday night. Handy for sky to move such a huge game, tis normally the day for Championship games!

Advertisement