Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid - 20 straight wins, Ancelotti the greatest manager of the modern era?

• 12-12-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

4-1 up with 5 minutes to go. It's a truly incredible run. And it's not getting enough recognition around here.

Who can stop them? There isn't an area of the pitch they are weak in.

Surely Ancelotti is the greatest manager of the modern era? For me it's not even close.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fantastic manager of a fantastic team.

Is that better?

Very under-rated manager, Chelsea didn't know what they had. Fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh this could get really good.

He is a super manager. Not appreciated by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Carlos a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Don't forget his achievements at Milan too. Built a great side there too.

And still only 55 years old, he has a lot of mileage left in him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was watching the game. Typical Ronaldo. Absolutely nothing from him except miss kicks and giving the ball away for 80 minutes and then he scores two and wins the game.

He really is a special player. Even when hes awful he brilliant. :p

20 wins in a row is a great achievement but he does have a great squad to choose from. The achievement has to be put in perspective. He isn't doing it with Real Betis. It's Real Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

51 goals In 14 games is some standard to set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

He won the double and got sacked the following season after being forced to put Torres in the team against his wishes. I remember when he knew he was going he just threw drogba back in and dropped Torres and they went on a great run near the end of the season only finishing 2nd

He's better out of there anyway, my favourite manager ever, teams always play good stuff and his players seem to love him. Never any bull**** or sore loser stuff with him either and seems a total gentleman. Not to mention he's as cool as ****. Legend!!

Kirby wrote: »

20 wins in a row is a great achievement but he does have a great squad to choose from. The achievement has to be put in perspective. He isn't doing it with Real Betis. It's Real Madrid.

He also inherited a piss poor Milan side and won 2 Champions Leagues with them and a league title.

Go back further and he blooded in the likes of Buffon and Cannavaro at Parma.

Reading about him he comes across as a thoroughly decent guy.
    Apparently his players all love him. He is not a mouth or roars or shouts at them.
    Always very positive.

Great to see him do so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Surely Ancelotti is the greatest manager of the modern era? For me it's not even close.

fergie.jpg

diego-simeone-.jpg

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I was watching the game. Typical Ronaldo. Absolutely nothing from him except miss kicks and giving the ball away for 80 minutes and then he scores two and wins the game.

He really is a special player. Even when hes awful he brilliant. :p

Yes, but nobody else could do it, with real Madrid.

And he's definitely out of simeones league at the minute, Ferguson is the main competitor but for me Carlo wins because he has done it in different countries, different languages, and with different groups of players.

I don't like that mic shaped goatee that Simeone is wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Don't forget his achievements at Milan too. Built a great side there too.

And still only 55 years old, he has a lot of mileage left in him yet.

Yeah. Two Champions League titles with Milan.

The Russian at Chelsea was mad to sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

It's an incredible achievement, it'll be interesting to see how far they can extend it, another 5 games to win I think to break the world record.

Yes, it's Real Madrid he's managing with some of the best players in the world in the team, but it's still an amazing consistency over a long period which other great teams couldn't match in the past. And they're doing it in such an entertaining fashion aswell. I suppose with the attacking players they have goals are a given, but they scoring loads all the same. I think the commentator near the end said they've scored 83 goals this season so far, and have scored 3 or more on 15 occasions.

thelad95 wrote: »
    fergie.jpg

diego-simeone-.jpg

I wouldn't consider SAF part of the "modern era" per se.

Simeone has done an incredible job but lets see how he's going in 5 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am a huge Ancelotti fan, but greatest of the modern era I would dispute. He certainly deserves more recognition then he seems to get though, my first choice for the United job and that is really the highest compliment I can give him.

Madrid are playing some great stuff right now, but they do have an incredible squad and though I don't want to say the manager there is basically a steering job right now, I would not say this Madrid run or the CL win last season would be his greatest achievements as manager, I am more impressed by other parts of his career, not to say he isn't doing a brilliant job, he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why? He's only retired 18 months ago? :confused:

Did this modern era start at the beginning of last season then?

thelad95 wrote: »
    Why? He's only retired 18 months ago? :confused:

He was in football since the 1980s though?

SAF won 38 trophies and Ancelotti has won 16...so far. It's not really fair to compare them imo.

But take Pep, Mourinho etc and Ancelotti is the best of the lot imo.

kryogen wrote: »
    I am a huge Ancelotti fan, but greatest of the modern era I would dispute. He certainly deserves more recognition then he seems to get though, my first choice for the United job and that is really the highest compliment I can give him.

Madrid are playing some great stuff right now, but they do have an incredible squad and though I don't want to say the manager there is basically a steering job right now, I would not say this Madrid run or the CL win last season would be his greatest achievements as manager, I am more impressed by other parts of his career, not to say he isn't doing a brilliant job, he is.

Sometimes steering a ship full of egos and superstars can be the hardest job though, especially when losing a game is seen as a disaster. No job carries more pressure and eats top managers alive like the Madrid job. Jose, Capello, Pellegrini all couldn't do what he has done

• Advertisement

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's won three league titles in his managerial career despite managing a host of top clubs spanning several years. One of those league titles was with PSG with almost no competition.

Very good manager who has had a phenomenal 6 months but I wouldn't be putting him in the same bracket as Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

4-1 up with 5 minutes to go. It's a truly incredible run. And it's not getting enough recognition around here.

Who can stop them? There isn't an area of the pitch they are weak in.

I'd look at their spending then the spending of all of the clubs they have beaten and I think its not that much of an achievement. He's pretty much doing as much as expected with what he has at his disposal tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I don't think it can be under-stated how good a job he's doing keeping all these Galaticos happy. 20 wins in a row while rotating the squad properly is a remarkable achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

he managed not to win la liga last season. Like to see how he'd get on at sunderland or villa. let's be realistic here, anyone with any ability could manage the reals,milans, juventus psgs of this world.

No

UrbanFret wrote: »
    he managed not to win la liga last season. Like to see how he'd get on at sunderland or villa. let's be realistic here, anyone with any ability could manage the reals,milans, juventus psgs of this world.

Then why dont they save themselves some millions and just hire Paul Jewell?

I think David moyes proved that some jobs are just too big, even for good managers.

tastyt wrote: »
    I think David moyes proved that some jobs are just too big, even for good managers.

never really gave him a chance though. player power seen to that. Some of them never tried a leg for him.

• Advertisement

Not really, the board failed him badly and the spending by Van Gaal proved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He's such a legend he almost made me stop hating Chelsea while he was in charge.

Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You beat me to that:).

Dempsey wrote: »
    Then why dont they save themselves some millions and just hire Paul Jewell?

As unlikely as that would be I dare say even he could finish 3rd in la liga. Yes he won the champions league but so did di matteo for all the good it did him. that is one of the most corrupt competitions in football geared to make sure the big boys barring accidents make the semis at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To think Real had a stumbling start to the La Liga season, look at them now 20 straight wins heading into the winter break & FIFA Club World Cup, it'll be some achievement whoever manages to beat Real, bit early to call Ancelotti the greatest manager of the modern era, if he wins La Liga & Real Madrid retain the Champions League then he may have a shout for 'greatest manager of the modern era'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

never really gave him a chance though. player power seen to that. Some of them never tried a leg for him.

Why didn't they try a leg for him?
    Motivating players and holding their respect is a crucial tool of any manager.
    The ability to contain player power if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No they couldn't!

Most managers if given identical clones to the players on Mourinho's, Pep's, Ancellotti's team would still lose 9/10 games against them. All things about players being equal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's a fantastic run no doubt, but you win nothing in December. If he can keep the momentum going is the real test.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His best quality is that he has no strongly defined approach or philosophy. He seems to turn up places, play to the strengths of the players to hand and make it work. He isn't a big media personality and it never seems to be about him.

People can say 'oh he was always in good situations', but he keeps being put in those situations because he does consistently well. A safe pair of hands at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    His best quality is that he has no strongly defined approach or philosophy. He seems to turn up places, play to the strengths of the players to hand and make it work. He isn't a big media personality and it never seems to be about him.

This.

Madrid tore their defensive fulcrum asunder in the transfer market. It took Ancellotti a while but he brought a balance back into the team.

That said I think he knows their central defensive midfield is a glaring weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Great guy, very good manager. I'd have Guardiola, Mourinho, Simeone and Klopp over him, for me, these are the 4 managerial heavyweights of modern day management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

he managed not to win la liga last season. Like to see how he'd get on at sunderland or villa.

I'd love to see Mourinho do the same.
    let's be realistic here, anyone with any ability could manage the reals,milans, juventus psgs of this world.

Sure they could. But could they be successful with them?

How many Real managers tried to win with the Galacticos after Del Bosque left and ultimately failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Simone has been here a wet day, why is he being brought into this conversation ay all. Give the man at least 3 seasons and a few more trophies before we can mention him in the same breath as Ancholetti, Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Del Bosque or anyone else of that ilk.

Great guy, very good manager. I'd have Guardiola, Mourinho, Simeone and Klopp over him, for me, these are the 4 managerial heavyweights of modern day management.

Only Pep holds a candle to Carlito out of those 4 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Klopp and Simeone have a long way to go to put themselves above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Klopp and Simeone have a long way to go to put themselves above him.

Dare I add a couple more 'longs' to that, not in the same ballpark as Carlo as of yet, maybe in years to come but no chance right now. The job he did at Milan was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Klopp and Simone right now dont deserve to be mentioned with the like of Pep Jose Carlo or Fergie.

Madness. :confused:

The latter four have done it all.

Great manager. 3 Champions Leagues to his name and titles in 3 different countries. One more Champions league would put him out on his own.

He's also a classy guy which puts him ahead of Mourinho for me. Plays football the correct way too.

Blatter wrote: »
    He's won three league titles in his managerial career despite managing a host of top clubs spanning several years. One of those league titles was with PSG with almost no competition.

Very good manager who has had a phenomenal 6 months but I wouldn't be putting him in the same bracket as Mourinho.

Whew, someone with some perspective. He is very good, but no Jose. Though nicer.

Though the real head scratchers were those who had Klopp and Simeone in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very impressive how defensively sound Madrid have been during their winning streak, 2 offensive full backs 4 attackers up front with modric (pre injury) and Kroos as their only centre mids, no real defensive minded mid in their most of the time. Also Sergio Ramos loves to stroll up the pitch, on paper you would say they could be vulnerable defensively but goals conceded suggests otherwise

Only Pep holds a candle to Carlito out of those 4 imo.

ahhh here mourinho is arguably better than both of them but he certainly "holds a candle" to either

• Advertisement
Advertisement