Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid - 20 straight wins, Ancelotti the greatest manager of the modern era?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Am u right in saying only himself and paisley have won 3 European cups as managers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Great manager. 3 Champions Leagues to his name and titles in 3 different countries. One more Champions league would put him out on his own.

He's also a classy guy which puts him ahead of Mourinho for me. Plays football the correct way too.

Mourinho has 2 CL, winning with underdogs. Beating the great Barca team with inter and winning it in Porto.

He has league titles in England,Portugal,Italy,Spain.

Am i right in saying he had two treble winning teams in Porto/inter?

Incredible. Can't put Carlo ahead of him in my opinion. Yes may be more classy but Still prefer Jose.

Honestly hope Chelsea get Madrid at some stage in CL. I think they're the only team capable of beating them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Let's see if he can improve on his 3rd place finish with the best squad in world football before we go into overdrive with the praise.

I like him though. Classy guy. Just what they needed after the Mourinho debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mourinho has 2 CL, winning with underdogs. Beating the great Barca team with inter and winning it in Porto.

He has league titles in England,Portugal,Italy,Spain.

Am i right in saying he had two treble winning teams in Porto/inter?

Incredible. Can't put Carlo ahead of him in my opinion. Yes may be more classy but Still prefer Jose.

Honestly hope Chelsea get Madrid at some stage in CL. I think they're the only team capable of beating them

Inter are hardly a minnow though....and Porto are the richest, most successful club in Portugal. And played another underdog in the CL final back in 2003 in AS Monaco.

Ancelotti has 3 CLs, has won titles and cups in 4 different countries including the Double with Chelsea in his first season there.

To me Ancelotti, Guardiola and Mourinho are all on an equal footing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Class act unlike mourinho.

Done it everywhere, hope to see him back in the pl someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Only winning 3 league titles as a manager is kinda poor for the sides he's managed, I'd have Pep and Mourinho over him.

rob316 wrote: »
    Class act unlike mourinho.

Done it everywhere, hope to see him back in the pl someday.

But who cares that much about the class act thing.

Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson were far from class acts, but giants of management. No one cared that they were pretty irascible and petty and could be downright nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

But who cares that much about the class act thing.

Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson were far from class acts, but giants of management. No one cared that they were pretty irascible and petty and could be downright nasty.

Fair enough, but I care. I'd rather see my manager represent my club with class and dignity. The manager is a symbol of your club and how he conducts and presents himself is a reflection of the club.

But I suppose if the manager wins you 38 trophies then what does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I care. I'd rather see my manager represent my club with class and dignity. The manager is a symbol of your club and how he conducts and presents himself is a reflection of the club.

But I suppose if the manager wins you 38 trophies then what does it matter?

Class & Dignity is for losers! :P

Football remembers winners, not much else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Dempsey wrote: »
    Class & Dignity is for losers! :P

Football remembers winners, not much else

He was particularly nasty at Real, and didn't win all that much. I think the pressure got to him somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Great manager. 3 Champions Leagues to his name and titles in 3 different countries. One more Champions league would put him out on his own.

He's also a classy guy which puts him ahead of Mourinho for me. Plays football the correct way too.

Absolutely agree.

I'm a huge fan of his and hope he bags another CL trophy with real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

It's only December? 20 wins in a row is great and all but but Real always dominate their tinpot champions league group and the league is more free flowing than any of the other top leagues thus allowing for more space.

It's good that someone has finally done that for Real but let's not get ahead of ourselves lads to say he's the greatest of the modern era. I mean lets not forget that Real and Barca don't allow other teams to catch up with them financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's only December? 20 wins in a row is great and all but but Real always dominate their tinpot champions league group and the league is more free flowing than any of the other top leagues thus allowing for more space.

It's good that someone has finally done that for Real but let's not get ahead of ourselves lads to say he's the greatest of the modern era. I mean lets not forget that Real and Barca don't allow other teams to catch up with them financially.

I'm not judging him JUST on his achievements at RM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

He's proving it at other clubs though to be fair. He has class, you don't seem to hear any trouble or rumblings at Real like it was weekly under Jose and others. He's got a great team and has Ronaldo the best player right now in the world knocking goals in for fun and Bale and Benzema knocking in a fair few goals too. A awesome midfield although their defence is a little dodgy at times I think along with Bayern they are the best team in the world right now.

He was particularly nasty at Real, and didn't win all that much. I think the pressure got to him somewhat.

he still won 3 trophies in 3 years and that barca team was insane at the time.

i dislike how he represents himself a lot but its hard to argue with his success

• Advertisement

Inter are hardly a minnow though....and Porto are the richest, most successful club in Portugal. And played another underdog in the CL final back in 2003 in AS Monaco.

winning the champions league with porto was an incredible achievement its irrelevant if they are the richest most successful club in portugal they are a club in what is at best a tier 2 league in europe theres not many teams who have success in europe out of those leagues

winning the champions league with porto was an incredible achievement its irrelevant if they are the richest most successful club in portugal they are a club in what is at best a tier 2 league in europe theres not many teams who have success in europe out of those leagues

....and they beat another team from a Tier 2 league in the final as well. The only powerhouse team they beat that year was Utd.

Otherwise they beat Lyon and Deportivo en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

As someone said, put Real against Chelsea two legs and I think Mourinho would come out on top. Hopefully we get to see that.

I think he's top 3 in modern era, not including Fergie. Pep doesn't get enough recognition for what he did at Barca. That was the most dominant team I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He's an absolutely fantastic manager in Europe, there can be no doubt about that. However, question marks remain over his league record - he should have done far better in Italy with the team he had than 1 solitary league title. He also started the decline of AC Milan, I know others accelerated it but there were huge issues in the team by the time he left. He also completely ignored the youth setup there, so he certainly does have a few major flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I assume Trap is not considered modern era, or else just forgotten?
    Certainly ahead of Ancellotti

From wiki

One of the most celebrated managers in football history, Trapattoni is one of only four coaches, alongside Ernst Happel, José Mourinho, and Tomislav Ivić to have won league titles (10) in four different countries. Alongside Udo Lattek, he is the only coach to have won all three major European club titles and the only one to make it with the same club.[5] Also, he is the only one to have won all official continental club competitions and the world title, achieving this with Juventus during his first spell with the club.[6] He is one of the rare few to have won the European Cup, the Cup Winners' Cup and Intercontinental Cup as both a player and manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

More praise for the great Trap

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2014/1218/667676-rte-sport-awards-seamus-coleman-interview/

In a wide-ranging interview with RTÉ Sport ahead of Sunday night’s RTÉ Sport Awards (9.30pm, RTÉ One), Coleman said: “I obviously felt that I should have got more caps than I did because I was playing quite well at the time for Everton and the manager didn’t see fit to put me in.

“But on the other hand, Ireland were doing really well to qualify for major tournaments. I know the media side of things wanted me playing but I never had a problem with Giovanni Trapattoni and if anything I learned a lot from him on the defensive side of things.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From what I read, that WC Trophy tonight is the 1st time in their 112 yr history that Madrid have won 4 trophies in a calendar year.

Fair play to Carlo, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

....and they beat another team from a Tier 2 league in the final as well. The only powerhouse team they beat that year was Utd.

Are you actually trying to belittle his achievement of winning the champions league with Porto? ahahahaha.

And Lyon were easily a tier 1 champions league team back then their squad was amazing and Deportivo won the league in 99/00 and were still a decent top4 spanish team especially considering it's small population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

All is right in the world when Real Madrid are the world's greatest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

All is right in the world when Real Madrid are the world's greatest

It's a amazing sight even when they play in second gear, they will win easily. That front line of Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo is pretty scary, The Midfield too is full of ideas and skill. I think they go on to win the CL again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Monaco in that particular year were far more of a "powerhouse" than united. One of the greatest ever offensive teams to enter the competition, and that particular team under that particular manager would have won the competition most years they entered. Pity it broke up afterwards. It took a signiture Mourinho defensive masterclass to beat them.

Deportivo and Lyon were excellent back then too. Deportivo disposed of Milan and Juve that year with ease, the previous years winners and runner up. They were world class. It's easy to look back and dismiss teams teams based on today's standards

Any team worth billions should be winning 20 in a row. I would say he is just breaking even as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I assume Trap is not considered modern era, or else just forgotten?
    Certainly ahead of Ancellotti

From wiki

One of the most celebrated managers in football history, Trapattoni is one of only four coaches, alongside Ernst Happel, José Mourinho, and Tomislav Ivić to have won league titles (10) in four different countries. Alongside Udo Lattek, he is the only coach to have won all three major European club titles and the only one to make it with the same club.[5] Also, he is the only one to have won all official continental club competitions and the world title, achieving this with Juventus during his first spell with the club.[6] He is one of the rare few to have won the European Cup, the Cup Winners' Cup and Intercontinental Cup as both a player and manager.

We......play......with ze ball......for....mentaaaalllitttyyyy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Any team worth billions should be winning 20 in a row. I would say he is just breaking even as a manager.
    Football just doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pepe has no yellow cards this season either Ancelloti becomes the pope or som thing extremley mental is brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He was being a good boy for Santa. Now that Christmas is here, expect the cards to start flowing. :P

CSF wrote: »
    Football just doesn't work like that.

Exactly.

In the 21 games they have won all 6 x CL group games and a match against Barca too.

Its a major feat to go on an unbeaten run, but to have such a run of all victories is so hard to do. Every team has off-days and poor results.

4 more I think to beat Ajax's record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Run ended this evening. They made some go of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

How many in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

How many in the end?

22 wins i believe also including the club world championship games, they lost a friendly against milan 4-2 a few days ago also. Thoroughly deserved win foe valencia tonight.

hmm.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kirby wrote: »
    hmm.......:pac:

Tough game against Sevilla mid week. Without Ramos, Modric, Pepe and James. CR7 playing below par of late. The club sold Alonso and got no one to replace him.

Can't really blame Carlo when his team is exposed like that. That potential was there all season. That he actually found a semblance of balance for the team was mighty impressive. Madrid have gone off the boil of late and the lack of a defensive screen hurt them badly today.

Credit where its due, Simeone has got Atleti playing really well, and he has the beating of Real every time since the CL Final last year.

How much longer will he stay at the Calderon before he is head-hunted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NIMAN wrote: »
    Credit where its due, Simeone has got Atleti playing really well, and he has the beating of Real every time since the CL Final last year.

Still can't understand why he hasn't already been poached. Arsenal under Diego would be something I'd love to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

NIMAN wrote: »

He's Atleti through and through. He won't manage another team in Spain.

That leaves England and Germany.

Id say Pep will be with Bayern for a good while. I can see him at Chelsea or City. He seems like the natural successor to Mourinho to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Still clear at the top by four points so nothing to panic about.

Admittedly Real were missing a lot of big names today, but many of the guys who played, all big world stars too, were found out. Time for a few of them to be shown the door methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ancellotti greatest manager of the modern era?.......Hmmmm.....let's see..... When Carlo has won leagues and european cups with Derby and Nottingham Forest...come back to me.

Until then, jog on.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Still can't understand why he hasn't already been poached. Arsenal under Diego would be something I'd love to see.

If rumours in Spain are to be believed, then he has been lined up to replace Pellegrini at Man City should the latter not win the League or the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Can see Simeone managing Inter at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

grenache wrote: »
    Ancellotti greatest manager of the modern era?.......Hmmmm.....let's see..... When Carlo has won leagues and european cups with Derby and Nottingham Forest...come back to me.

Until then, jog on.

Is 35 years ago classed as modern?

If rumours in Spain are to be believed, then he has been lined up to replace Pellegrini at Man City should the latter not win the League or the Champions League.

City aren't going to win either this year. That seems like a very tabloidy rumour to be honest. It's not like they are going out on a limb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's Atleti through and through. He won't manage another team in Spain.

That leaves England and Germany.

Id say Pep will be with Bayern for a good while. I can see him at Chelsea or City. He seems like the natural successor to Mourinho to me.

He said many times that he likes to manager Inter one day and I'm sure he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Still clear at the top by four points so nothing to panic about.

Barca have a game in hand so it could be theoretically a 1 point lead by the end of the day. Title race will go down to wire this year.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

grenache wrote: »

Until then, jog on.

Smh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement