Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it difficult to get a good IT tech on call for smaller business?

• 13-12-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,
    I'm talking about smaller companies that would not have a dedicated IT person...

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What I found difficult to find before going back to full time contract work, was smaller businesses who needed highly skilled Technical People with multiple skills. Maybe it was just me. With the availability of affordable training, I thought that such People were a dime a dozen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Itzy wrote: »
    What I found difficult to find before going back to full time contract work, was smaller businesses who needed highly skilled Technical People with multiple skills. Maybe it was just me. With the availability of affordable training, I thought that such People were a dime a dozen.

Not really the case as most have either left the country or found work with larger companies.

What seems to have driven a lot away according to a few friends in such situations were small to medium companies looking for highly skilled, experienced IT people with various certifications and offering them €30-40k a year because, well we can and you have no other work. When they should be offering and are worth much more

All of these friends got fed up with these stupid low ball offers and decided enough was enough so they went where their skills were in demand and appreciated.

The result being a severe shortage of such people in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

askcompq wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm talking about smaller companies that would not have a dedicated IT person...

Thanks.

What industry is your business in?

In my area there is an IT services company that provides services a number of small firms in the same industry that we operate in. This means that they have a good idea of our IT needs and can service it efficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Hello,

Thanks.

are you buying or selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 askcompq

pedronomix wrote: »
    are you buying or selling?

Market research!

• Advertisement

Market research!

selling so!

pedronomix wrote: »
    selling so!

There is no alterior motive going on here .

I'm trying to develop a strategy to approach local businesses. I have just heard through a good source that some local business owners are saying such things.

If you are looking for advice/information then it should be obvious that you need to set out your questions with at least some detail of your quest!!

Read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92411027

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Itzy wrote: »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this?

Hello,

Thanks.

Might want to see eactly what they are asking.

"Is it difficult to get a good IT tech on call for smaller business?"

or

"Is it difficult to get a good IT tech cheap "

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Might want to see eactly what they are asking.

"Is it difficult to get a good IT tech on call for smaller business?"

or

"Is it difficult to get a good IT tech cheap "

Do you know how much someone good would charge generally? I like the idea of a retainer type setup - a monthly fee for example...I'm not there yet though.

Forget about anyone else.

Work out what it costs you to do it first. Then add on a profit.

Then see if anyone looking for IT people will pay that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

beauf wrote: »
    Forget about anyone else.

Work out what it costs you to do it first. Then add on a profit.

Then see if anyone looking for IT people will pay that.

I'm not sure of the idea of turning away business. I want to build networks of people before I start charging them lots. (which I intend to base value on reputation) Is this thinking flawed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, the issue is whether you can get good customers.

If you get customers who just won't invest in the systems they need, and spend the cash to keep it updated, you will find yourself running around fixing old junk on a fixed price contract. Not much profit in that.

Unfortunately this is the type of customer you will attract if you keep the prices very low.

You might be able to run everything tightly for a month or two, but once you have a few customers, you will find yourself needing to employ people to do work and provide cover.

If you can find a group of good customers to get started with, then it could be worthwhile.

If you're not making a profit it's not a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Would it be ok to post up a new marketing strategy I plan on using? I would like to hear peoples thoughts....thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

euser1984 wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the idea of turning away business. I want to build networks of people before I start charging them lots. (which I intend to base value on reputation) Is this thinking flawed?

This is completely flawed. 99% of the people you take on at say, €50 hour are more than likely with you primarily for price. If you intend to start charging them lots, by either charging lots of hours or increasing your rate then they'll question your value to them and probably leave.

If you start charging low and raise your rates, be prepared for customers leaving and also the possibility that you'll have to get rid of them if they're not willing to pay your rates.

IT services that you are proposing are a commodity now, not a whole lot of money to be made but a lot of stress.

euser1984 wrote: »
    Would it be ok to post up a new marketing strategy I plan on using? I would like to hear peoples thoughts....thanks.

Marketing isn't going to be your problem. Its profitability.

Advertisement