Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storing Pastry??

• 13-12-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

I am planning on baking some cakes for Christmas. Cup cakes, Gur cake, Jam tarts, Scones and shortbread biscuits.

Can the pastry for all or these be made and left in the fridge for a week or so, if not, which one cant.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

The shortbread dough and the pastry for the jam tarts would be fine. IME scone dough and cupcake batter work best if baked from fresh- they don't rise as well if they're left hanging around. I don't know what gur cake is. I always make Christmas pastry a few weeks ahead and freeze it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    The shortbread dough and the pastry for the jam tarts would be fine. IME scone dough and cupcake batter work best if baked from fresh- they don't rise as well if they're left hanging around.

I don't know what gur cake is.

I always make Christmas pastry a few weeks ahead and freeze it.

Gur cake is pretty much the same as Flies' Graveyard, so the filling would benefit from making and keeping for a little bit and the pastry is normally short afaik.

I admire your industry, OP! Can I come for afternoon tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Gur Cake

Of course you can :) i am also making brownies. Pork crackling and Turkey for dinner.

I LOVE CHRISTMAS, what a great time it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

For scones, you can freeze raw scones. I do it regularly.

Put the full tray of raw scones in the freezer When they are frozen, put them in a bag.
    They defrost and bake beautifully.

I agree that the batter for cupcakes doesn't keep. The baking powder will start to slowly work as soon as its wet, so it will
    be less effective when it gets to the oven.

Rachel Allen has a 30 day muffin recipe that you can keep in the fridge and bake a few muffins as you need them.
    I haven't tried it myself.

• Advertisement

huskerdu wrote: »
    For scones, you can freeze raw scones. I do it regularly.

Put the full tray of raw scones in the freezer When they are frozen, put them in a bag.
    They defrost and bake beautifully.

I agree that the batter for cupcakes doesn't keep. The baking powder will start to slowly work as soon as its wet, so it will
    be less effective when it gets to the oven.

Rachel Allen has a 30 day muffin recipe that you can keep in the fridge and bake a few muffins as you need them.
    I haven't tried it myself.

Thanks I have a lot to do Christmas day so would like to get whatever I can prepared before

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

undecorated queen cakes freeze grand. Shortcrust takes a freezing very well, just defrost over night and you're ready to roll. I'd make the scones on the day myself, i don't like htem from the freezer and the chemistry behind scone dough (baking powder or buttermilk/soda) says they need to be baked immediately.

Advertisement