Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting laravel website

Options
  • 13-12-2014 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I am just starting out with Laravel. Can you direct me to instructions about how to set up my Laravel site on Blacknight please?

I understand I have to change some folders/paths? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I am not sure how black knights environment works but the easiest way to get Laravel Working on a shared hosting environment is to set it up locally. 

Use composer on your desktop to install Laravel and any dependencies you may want and then upload the finished install to your www-dir on BlackKnight.

I don't recommend developing on shared hosting though if you plan on using laravel as you will need to do some work on the OS if you want to get the most out of it. Consider getting a cheap VPS. I.E. my development VM is only 512mb ram and does fine for developing laravel apps using ubuntu, nginx, php and mysql.

The major pitfall of using a shared host is not being able to set your public folder as your www-dir. Though you can do some .htaccess trickery if using apache. 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Assuming you're working with Laravel 4.2 and not the 5 Beta:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25724586/how-to-deploy-laravel-4-2-on-shared-hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you need assistance please contact our help desk.

We also offer cloud VM hosting which might be more suitable than our shared hosting

In either case our staff should be able to assist you

HTH

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Thanks guys,
    All helpful answers. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd second Salamanca22s suggestion.  Get a cheap VM then you can look at Homestead and Laravel Forge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement