Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4k TV poor resolution

• 13-12-2014 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has the same problem.

I recently treated myself to an early xmas present and bought a new LG 49UB850V 4K 3D TV.

When browsing in the shop me and my SO were blown away by this screen. the quality was second to none. After setting it up against my UPC box I just can't see the difference in picture quality against my old LCD TV. It is a serious let down. Granted its not going to be excellent quality if the content was filmed in 720p format but surely the up-scaling should give it a boost?

I also tried looking at the 4K content on Netfilx. House of cards was standard enough. The short films of nature etc. were good but nothing compared to what it was like in the shop when buying.

also, I am using the provided HDMI

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Have a look here,

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/49ub850v-201406033786.htm

The first thing to note is the set had firmware issues that seriously affected picture quality and stopped it making the most of netflix 4k streaming.

So check that you are on the latest firmware.

The second thing, as with all streaming services, 4k or so called 1080p, this is not unmolested hd content, and no amount of upscaling will ever make it so.
    In the shop, the content being used to show off the TV was most likely hard drive or disk based material that had not been compressed in any way.

Unfortunately, this type of unmolested 4k material is not commonly available yet and you wont get the best from the set or notice any of its benefits until it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

What you saw onscreen in the store was running off a fast transfer solid state drive or memory key.

If you had the same setup at home you'd have the same quality. You won't get it from upc or sky. Closest you'll get is 1080i blue ray over hdmi if you have it but that's not 4k either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I get that what I was seeing was a disk or usb based content but my concern is that when viewing standard 720/1080i/p it looks worse than my old LCD display.

I will try upgrading the firmware and let ye know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

skeg16 wrote: »
    I get that what I was seeing was a disk or usb based content but my concern is that when viewing standard 720/1080i/p it looks worse than my old LCD display.

I will try upgrading the firmware and let ye know

It's just a crap screen then.

****ty black levels like most LCDS.

The LG 49UB850V is not only the worst 4K TV we’ve tested, it’s also one of the worst-performing televisions we’ve reviewed to date in terms of image quality

Maybe do a bit more consumer research before spending so much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

IMO the quality of upscaler varies enormously. Price isn't always a good indicator. You might find putting content through a smart bluray player that upscales to 4K gives you better result. My bluray upscales SD content to FULL HD better than the TV does I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Beaner1 wrote: »
    It's just a crap screen then.

****ty black levels like most LCDS.

Maybe do a bit more consumer research before spending so much money.

That article was edited in August after a firmware update and they changed it to recommended,you obviously didn't read the article fully.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

No, they changed it to a qualified recommendation with small improvements in quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

4K and UHD just really isn't worth it at the moment. I post this a lot here but anyone looking to buy a new TV should either hold off or if they can't and really need one then get the best high end 1080p plasma they can find, or even an led, to cover the next 2 or 3 (probably even 4 or 5 really ffs) years until HDMI 2.0 and 4k BD is out. Then it'll be time to upgrade to 4K, hopefully.

Advertisement