Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windows installation stuck at Setup is starting

Options
  • 13-12-2014 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭

So,

I have a fresh new 2 TB HDD. A WD Black, it's the same as my old HDD I currently use. I want to do a fresh install on the new HDD.

However, windows simply refuses to install. I've tried numerous times now and it keeps getting stuck at Setup is starting and that's it.

The MB is a Gigabyte 297X-SLI.

There's nothing wrong with the win 7 disk. It's a clean as a whistle. I heard there's sometimes a problem with floppy drives, but I don't have one and non is mentioned in the BIOS.

Anybody else had this issue? Anybody got a solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Have you used that disc before? It may look as clean as a whistle but I would still try another one, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try installing from USB, there's a MS tool to put Win ISOs (from digitalriver) onto USB stick for booting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Thanks guys/gals,

Turns out Overclockers sent me a busted HDD. Oh well.

Got a new 2tb in town today, its only a WD green, not a black. C'est la vie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd definitely recommend purchasing an SSD for your primary OS disk. That Green drive will run windows very poor (and I have first hand experience to back that up as I ran Win 7 off a Green WD HDD for a few months!). Take the SSD plunge if funding will allow it, you won't regret it :)

Nick

I may do in a while. I'll see how the green goes. Haven't noticed any difference between that and the black yet. I only changed to WD, cos of an article I read about Seagate having a bad failure rate, even though I never had a days problem with any Seagate drives. :mad:

I don't really trust SSD yet, when they pop, that's it. At least with a failing HDD, it's still possible to get info off of it. I normally just put the OS, apps and Steam games on C:/ anyhow.

Everything else I want to keep is stored on a second drive.

So, maybe an SSD is in order in the near future, we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tony EH wrote: »
    I may do in a while. I'll see how the green goes. Haven't noticed any difference between that and the black yet. I only changed to WD, cos of an article I read about Seagate having a bad failure rate, even though I never had a days problem with any Seagate drives. :mad:

I don't really trust SSD yet, when they pop, that's it. At least with a failing HDD, it's still possible to get info off of it. I normally just put the OS, apps and Steam games on C:/ anyhow.

Everything else I want to keep is stored on a second drive.

So, maybe an SSD is in order in the near future, we'll see.

I've done years of pc support. Most of what you have said is a fallacy.

All drives and companies have a failure rate. Its incredibly rare for any to be significantly different from others. OCZ with early SSD drives is about the only one I can think of in the last few years.

Platter drives fail frequently, being the only remaining mechanical part in a PC. You can lose all your data no matter how much money you wish to throw at it. Its better that you back up valuable data regardless of the platform you are keeping it on.

The difference between a SSD and platter drive is the difference between a modern processor and one from the late 90's. You couldn't pay me to go back to a platter drive now. And I used to use the gen1 ones with the horrible microstutter problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Platter drives fail frequently, being the only remaining mechanical part in a PC.

Fans?

degsie wrote: »
    Fans?

And fans, although they are not an absolute requirement.

Actually, this installation has turned into a bloody nightmare.

I foolishly didn't turn off automatic updates and Windows littered the drive with half finished and failed updates. So I decided I do a clean install again.

Bad Move.

Windows 7 kept throwing up errors during the expanding windows files bit.

Eventually after formatting and formatting again and again, it finally took hold.

The the graphics drivers decided they didn't want to install and that's where we are now.

Never had so much bother just trying to install anything.

Absolutely hellish.

And fans, although they are not an absolute requirement.

?

Your PC will be dead without cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I've done years of pc support. Most of what you have said is a fallacy.

All drives and companies have a failure rate. Its incredibly rare for any to be significantly different from others. OCZ with early SSD drives is about the only one I can think of in the last few years.

Platter drives fail frequently, being the only remaining mechanical part in a PC. You can lose all your data no matter how much money you wish to throw at it. Its better that you back up valuable data regardless of the platform you are keeping it on.

The difference between a SSD and platter drive is the difference between a modern processor and one from the late 90's. You couldn't pay me to go back to a platter drive now. And I used to use the gen1 ones with the horrible microstutter problem.
    SSD all the way it's makes some difference to a PC or laptop, I wouldn't go back to HDD, I only use a HDD for storing stuff as that's all they are good for now.

?

My PC would be but there are plenty of passively cooled machines on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

?

If I don't overclock my old C2Q6600 CPU, I can get away with having no moving parts inside my PC

CPU is passively watercooled, GPU is fanless and I switch off my case fans. Main HDD is SSD and the other HDD and the DVD drive aren't in use most of the time

Nice and completely silent PC. But also a bit hot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

200motels wrote: »
    SSD all the way it's makes some difference to a PC or laptop, I wouldn't go back to HDD, I only use a HDD for storing stuff as that's all they are good for now.

Hate to go off topic but I have a MSI netbook I know haha got it as a present.

Would say putting a small 128gb ssd make any difference to it currently taking 1min 15 to boot to Windows 7.

Won't be doing much on it car diagnostic really the odd time.

All advice greatly appreciated

thanks lads and lassies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I find Hybrid drives a great compromise if you don't want to take the SSD plunge. I'm very curious about SSD performance but if I take the plunge and install one in my laptop will it invalidate the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

crasy dash wrote: »
    Hate to go off topic but I have a MSI netbook I know haha got it as a present.

Would say putting a small 128gb ssd make any difference to it currently taking 1min 15 to boot to Windows 7.

Won't be doing much on it car diagnostic really the odd time.

All advice greatly appreciated

thanks lads and lassies
    Yes it would make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Really??? find it hard to believe as the atom processor seems to be really slow even loading chrome on it takes an age at the moment takes abou 1min30 to load to win 7 premium and be able to start a program.

Have upgraded the ram to 2gb thats all it can take:pac:!!!!!

Is amazon the best place to buy a ssd any brands to be avoided???

Advertisement