Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Connection Fee

Options
  • 13-12-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering how much people had to pay for a water connection. Im building a 2700 sq foot house in Co Galway and i've been quoted 4,800 from Irish water as a connection fee :( No break down was provided either of where that sum came from :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

this used be part of the overall planning contribution until irish water came into being. the council contribution will be lower than previous and the new connection will be the norm. Its hard to see the justification when you will be paying meter costs ontop given they are supposed to cover the cost of upkeep on the pipes. Its a bit like the stamp duty to property tax issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

4,800 bloody hell you'd expect the pipe to take raw gas at that price!

How far are you from the main pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Sufferin Jaysas, thats a fierce price. You'd probably sink a well for around that money (maybe a small bit more..?) and not have to be coughing up to the government every time you go to jacks

And you think after all the money we invested in the company they would be more professional and provide a proper quote/breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

FFS! Were your council fees much? Look in to sinking a well. At least once that's paid for you won't have water fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

• The development contribution fee was 3,800
    • The water mains are passing straight by the front of the site
    • Part of the conditions of the planning is to enter into an agreement with Irish Water re a water connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

thebackbar wrote: »
    • The development contribution fee was 3,800
    • The water mains are passing straight by the front of the site
    • Part of the conditions of the planning is to enter into an agreement with Irish Water re a water connection.

Damnit, you have no choice but to pay it then. Our fee was the same as yours but we can sink a well.

If it's any consolation a guy I know has been told he has to pay €16,000 in council fees. They live down a lane on a road that has more potholes than tarmac, miles away from any village or street light. We had to pay less than a third of that and we live on a much better road much nearer to civilisation. There was only a month in the difference of us both applying. Sometimes I think they pick this stuff out of thin air. If you entered an agreement to pay it I presume there's no way around that unfortunately.

I think most councils have different rates based on sq area of the house.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I think most councils have different rates based on sq area of the house.

I would be some what happier if I could see these figures published somewhere, it just seems as though they have a random number generator for making up these numbers.

It would appear though that Irish water are going to introduce a standard connection fee across the country next year. i cant imagine that it will be as high as 4,800

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

The price will be exactly the same as 2013, 2012 etc. Only difference is that the water element of the previous planning contribution is payable to IW now (as they are providing the water services) rather than the Local Authority.

• Advertisement

roytheboyo wrote: »
    The price will be exactly the same as 2013, 2012 etc. Only difference is that the water element of the previous planning contribution is payable to IW now (as they are providing the water services) rather than the Local Authority.

That is the current situation, but the following documents states this will change sometime next year.

http://www.cer.ie/docs/000979/CER14453%20WCP%20Response%20-%20Non-Domestic.pdf

"The CER will hold a public consultation on an enduring connection charging policy in January 2015.
    The new connection charging policy will be in place by the end of April 2015."

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I'd love to know how that would work with someone who is getting their water through a rural group scheme. We have a site beside my mothers house and she is with the local group scheme. Would the connection fee be as high as mentioned above?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

woodturner wrote: »
    I'd love to know how that would work with someone who is getting their water through a rural group scheme. We have a site beside my mothers house and she is with the local group scheme. Would the connection fee be as high as mentioned above?

we gotta pay 1550 to LGS to get acceptance-to-join letter
    submit letter with PP
    LGS will refund 1550 if PP is refused
    450 to do the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

Old thread so hoping things may have changed or be changing under rebrand but just got hit with a bill of €3,600 for water on top of the €24,500 I'm paying to Finally for Dev fees. Is this unavoidable as can't dig a well!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

Old thread so hoping things may have changed or be changing under rebrand but just got hit with a bill of €3,600 for water on top of the €24,500 I'm paying to Finally for Dev fees. Is this unavoidable as can't dig a well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

breffnij wrote: »

No change, except for the worse. House in Galway, 1m away from mains, and he's being asked for €7,000.........

See it here: http://connachttribune.ie/family-hit-with-e7000-bill-for-water-connection/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement