Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering money to ireland

Options
  • 13-12-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Looking at transferring my savings mad in Aus back home.

Im going to loose a fortune going through the banks.

Would anybody feel comfortable transferring large sums of money through currency fair?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use Currency Fair save a fortune bringing money over from UK I have done a few big transfers have never been worried about it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Having said that the first few times I did it in batches of £2500 just to be on the safe side! They are regulated in Ireland and Australia so you would think that would be one of the safest routes to transfers if the company did for some reason suddenly go belly up. From bank to bank only takes a few days UK>Ireland so even if you have a load of money and want to do it in smaller batches it won't take too long and I think if you share each one on social media you get the next transfer free so you can save on the withdrawl fees by doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Use cf all the time, I can get money transfered with them between Ireland and oz quicker than i can transfer money between Irish banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I transferred nearly $10k with them, no problems at all, it's seems odd when you set it up but it works fine, the bank rates were nowhere near what I could get on Currencyfair! There is a €2k limit when transferring from Ireland so it takes a few days to get a chunk of money transferred,

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

If anyone listens to An Irishman Abroad Podcast with Jarlath Regan you can get a discount code on the podcast that gives you 5 free transactions with currencyfair.

Its a pretty good listen too for anyone that is interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Looks like a useful tool.
    Whats the difference between marketplace and quicktrade?
    I'll only need to use currency fair for paying someone from an ROI euro a/c to a UK stg a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

M three wrote: »
    Looks like a useful tool.
    Whats the difference between marketplace and quicktrade?
    I'll only need to use currency fair for paying someone from an ROI euro a/c to a UK stg a/c

https://www.currencyfair.com/blog/marketplace-vs-quicktrade-best/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Thanks for that.
    Only a very very slight difference between the two options

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Karl000

I used compass forex back in May to transfer a decent sum back to irl got a great rate within a couple of cent of the market rates but only after they offered me a crappy rate and I told them where to stick it. Money was in my Irish bank the next day. Better off sending it all in one go in order to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

check out ozforex. no fee's when amount is greater than $10k. Rate was similar to currency fair last i checked.

Personally, i've used currency fair for the past 6 months for GBP to AUD. I have had no problems at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement