Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping a dog to USA

• 13-12-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi, does any of you have experience with shipping a dog/puppy to USA? What airlines/company and roughly cost? Also any relevant documents. From what I got from the USA website, they don't need rabies shot if they're coming from rabies free country, but they need a health cert that they're ok to travel. Anything else? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

In the begin of the year I sent a dog for a customer of mine to San Francisco. After lots of search and enquiry I personally found that the best carrier is Lufthansa. I'm talking about cargo option and not on board with you. Lufthansa has one of the safest records (the safest as far as I am concerned) for animal transport. They will take your dog to Frankfurt were they own a Animal Lounge facilities and from there off to destination.
    My customer dog arrived safe and sound and we never regretted the choice. Also a couple of my friends last year relocated to Buenos Aires and they have two dogs one of which is paralysed. They too used Lufthansa and both the dogs arrived safely to destination. The down side of using a good carrier is the cost. To send the dog to San Francisco (it's a Irish Terrier) it costed over twelve hundred euro. In Dublin Lufthansa has an Agent for the cargo business, it's Multi cargo Ltd www.multicargo.ie , they will also help you with the health certificate. It is true that the rabies vax isn't required coming from Ireland but I believe that it's safe to vaccinate the dog anyway. In the end of the day he/she is going to live in a country where there is the risk to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Thanks for that, I'm a bit worried about the length of the journey, would flying with aerlingus and taking the dog as an excess baggage be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Check with Air France. They allow small dogs in the passenger cabin.
    I used pet-express.com to fly a dog and two cats from NYC to DUB. Great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

ACD wrote: »
    would flying with aerlingus and taking the dog as an excess baggage be an option?

You will have to contact directly Aerlingus for that. I am under the impression that Aerlingus allows pet only for short flight.....but I could be wrong.

Advertisement