Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripe Sticks

• 13-12-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Or do I mean 'stinks'?

I was in Dealz this morning and picked up a Santa cape & stocking, then saw the bag of tripe sticks and thought 'aha!'. I've read that the dog tripe is green and full of beneficial bacteria and probiotics. The Dealz bag says the product is made in NL, all natural, so I went for it. Nothing ventured etc.

Oh dear. I opened the bag and lifted one out. My nostrils are burnt and my tongue's sticking to the roof of my mouth, even two hours later. The dog was inordinately interested in finding the source of the pong. Even after I put the whole bag of snacks inside a sealed Ziplock.

Was it just this bag? I'm considering binning it because I could not share a room with one of these sticks. Then again, perhaps the pup could eat it as an 'outside' treat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I've no experience with tripe myself but I've heard it smells worse than dog farts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hehe yep that's the normal aroma of tripe. I'd normally give anything tripey outside. BTW don't buy pizzle if you think the dried tripe is bad and definitely don't buy fresh/frozen tripe :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I've no experience with tripe myself but I've heard it smells worse than dog farts!

It's quite unique and awesomely awful.
    tk123 wrote: »
    Hehe yep that's the normal aroma of tripe. I'd normally give anything tripey outside. BTW don't buy pizzle if you think the dried tripe is bad and definitely don't buy fresh/frozen tripe :pac:

ODG? There surely can't be anything stinkier on the planet than tripe?v:eek:

Right. Madam won't be getting her sticks until the weather is mild enough for her to enjoy them outside. She'd try to sneak them in at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They couldn't be eating better, though. I dunno, I think I got used to the smell. I used to give raw tripe to my dogs occasionally. But then I'm from Limerick, the home of "packet and tripe." :D You think the smell of the tripe sticks is bad, imagine what tripe boiled in milk and onions smells like?

DBB we really DO need a puke smiley! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Oh, I couldn't be doing without the bull pizzles for my pup! When she was teething like mad, they'd keep her busy for ages, and they still give her a good 20 minutes' amusement of an evening, distracting her at the phase when the cats are at their most teasing :p

Perhaps it's living in an old, draughty house that makes the difference, or just that I've been used to feeding such treats for years, but I don't have a problem with them :o And they really are such healthy things to give, compared to the alternatives :cool:

ETA: I either get the bags with the decent-sized pieces, not the poxy wee ones, or else the full long ones, and use the garden loppers to cut them in 3, 1 per night. And I do have a good sense of smell, so it's not that. Not like my neighbour, who has been anosmic all her life, which is how she survives as a raw-feeding vegetarian :P

• Advertisement

ferretone wrote: »

and use the garden loppers to cut them in 3

Oh that's a great idea thanks!! I haven't given pizzle since before Bailey's operation. We're slowly building his jaw up atm so a lot of harder treats/bones are off the menu for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

1DE05A28-2686-4042-8144-2F9F4A223177_zpsmvqtue3r.jpg

It's not just a limerick thing - my mum is always telling me she used to have tripe boiled in milk here in Dublin!! Although when I offer her some of the green tripe to boil she always refuses lol! :p

Hooked wrote: »
    1DE05A28-2686-4042-8144-2F9F4A223177_zpsmvqtue3r.jpg

OT but why did you reply with a picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Well Bruno loves them :D - and we're used to the stink.

Its nearly his No.1 favourite.

His No.1 BTW, which I always share is Liver. He loves it freshly cooked :)

• Advertisement

OT but why did you reply with a picture?
    I think it was cos we don't have a puking smiley here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

ferretone wrote: »
    I think it was cos we don't have a puking smiley here :)

Got it in one... Couple of threads referring to lack of vomit smiley... I was 'trying' to be funny!

Got it in one... Couple of threads referring to lack of vomit smiley... I was 'trying' to be funny!

That was the reason I thought too! :D

We used to have a little one in a long-ago, mainly rescue forum, that used to basically projectile vomit across the screen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's not just a limerick thing - my mum is always telling me she used to have tripe boiled in milk here in Dublin!! Although when I offer her some of the green tripe to boil she always refuses lol! :p

But the packet (black pud) boiled with the tripe? I think this vile concoction is confined to Limerick. :D

boomerang wrote: »
    But the packet (black pud) boiled with the tripe? I think this vile concoction is confined to Limerick. :D

Very interesting. Explains a lot! Our dad grew up near Kilmeady: he's always been inordinately fond of the oul' black pudding, and has recently started using a can of haggis as his "secret ingredient" in the shepherds' pie ;)

It's actually delicious shepherds' pie, even more than acceptable to almost-3-year-old kids :D But I fully concede that not having grown up in the Limerick area probably contributes towards my open-mindedness towards that, if anything :rolleyes:

Advertisement