Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

see.sense bike lights

Options
  • 13-12-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I like the sound of these lights. They're fairly new on the market so there aren't that many reviews on them online.

They use "sensor technology from smartphones" to asses the environment and will flash brighter when at a junction or roundabout.

This sounds great but can anyone enlighten me as to what this "sensor technology" is?! It is an app you download? Or do you just turn on GPS on your phone? Or plan out your route on google maps?

Can't seem to figure it out by looking online so hoping someone on here can help!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I'd guess they use similar sensors to those on smartphones... Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Jo Roek wrote: »
    This sounds great but can anyone enlighten me as to what this "sensor technology" is?! It is an app you download?

The video doesn't suggest you need anything else and they exhalt efficiency so I imagine it's not a whole lot more than your regular back-garden motion sensor.

I'm not sold on the idea. How long does one spend in the view of any single car. An adequate solution to this "problem" would be to have a light that flashes fast.

What I once read here: have two lights flashing at different rates so drivers focus on them to try to see a pattern between them. I'd love see an academic reference for that but I do notice myself doing it when I see car indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gickna1

I have a set,
    You don't need any apps or smartphones to use them, you turn them on by twisting them left the right 4 or 5 times and turn them off by placing them face down.
    They change according to road conditions and car lights (shine brighter when hit by car headlights). I'm fairly impressed so far bit pricey but worth it. I picked mine up in Fitz Cycles Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Have one on the rear great light, extremely bright, charge it leave it on the bike any movement of the bike and it turns itself on, or off if not in motion, go to you tube and search see.sence. It's made in North Irl.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I bought a set but haven't used them yet. Cool tech and a sign of things to come. Supporting Irish/Northern Irish business too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jo Roek

thanks for the replies!
    so it's just a motion sensor then? how would that detect a junction/roundabout? Is it just detecting that you're slowing down?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

i have a set of the INTENSE ones and have dealt with them regarding an upgrade programme they do for version 1 to version 2. i love the lights (fronts a bit bright / strobe like but excellent in the day) and the rear is brilliant. i have to say i was really impressed with their customer service and got an email back from the main man very quickly answering all my queeries regarding the upgrade. would definitely reccomend.

I was driving behind a chap in Ballymount who seemed to have one of these. They seem to change brightness / flashing tempo when I approached from behind. Interesting concept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Have a set and love them. I generally leave the house about 6 a.m. and since getting these I feel a bit more confident on the road. It could be all in my head but for that alone they are worth the money. I had an issue with mine on Friday, the was a constant red led on turns out it was a moisture warning light, shot of an email and with in and hour I got instructions on how to strip and clean the unit. great bit of kit and great customer service

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like the look of the silicone mounting feature.

Looks pretty nifty and easy/quick to get off.

I don't understand how the light changes when it's going around a roundabout or filtering, I presume it ups the flashing frequency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Absolutely fantastic customer service. I had made a comment on stickeybottle about the lights not sitting on my bars right and wrapping it around the headset instead, not a word from anyone or a second though from myself as it's a non issue really. Then today I arrive home to this. Thank you so much guys. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

they are brilliant with the customer service, really impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

All the above positive comments is as a result of the lights being designed and manufactured in Ireland, let's see more of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

So I have been using my light for about a week now on the rear (Mel and I out together so if she is sitting on my wheel for most of the ride, I put it on her bike).

So far, so good - bright as you'd expect (only been using it during day time training and even then it is very bright) - simple to operate/attach and the charge I get from it is at least what they advertise (I recharged after 11hrs of training - it was still going fine but the next day was going to be 4+ hrs so wanted to recharge).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Really looking forward to seeing how they do with their planned power meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The other night, I got talking to a man outside my local supermarket who had his son on his bike with him. He was interested in my bike trailer and then got talking to me about this light he'd got for his son's bike, which it turns out was this see.sense one. I got a demo, and I did think it was very good. A bit bigger than rear lights tend to be now, which to me is a good thing, and was comparable to though not quite as bright as the 1W Smart Lunar I had with me.

He mentioned that he had actually found the light on the road, or rather part of it, contacted see.sense to explain that he wouldn't mind getting it working, and they provided him the other components he needed. As mentioned above, that seems to be very good customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

See.Sense have a kickstarter going at the moment: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1670187625/see-sense-icon-the-intelligent-and-connected-cycle

Anyone have any reviews since the last ones 9 months ago? I was thinking of the rear light for my wife in particular as she is quite a nervous cyclist. Is it worth the investment compared to other lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

traprunner wrote: »
    See.Sense have a kickstarter going at the moment: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1670187625/see-sense-icon-the-intelligent-and-connected-cycle

Anyone have any reviews since the last ones 9 months ago? I was thinking of the rear light for my wife in particular as she is quite a nervous cyclist. Is it worth the investment compared to other lights?

Not a bad price considering what the old models cost at the moment. If only the euro/sterling rates were better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I have a see.sense 95 lumen 2.0 rear light and I have to say I love it. From day 1 using it I've felt safer on the road, I have it on no matter what time of the day. In and around the Dublin city centre I find moving about on the road is easier, changing lanes, etc. I've also noticed passing vehicles giving me a bit more space, apart from the odd delightful character.

It's very well built, easy to operate, decent battery life, very bright and responds to the environment in the way advertised. Definitely worth the investment. I've had plenty of your standard flashy rear lights and none of them come anywhere near this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I have a see.sense 95 lumen 2.0 rear light and I have to say I love it. From day 1 using it I've felt safer on the road, I have it on no matter what time of the day. In and around the Dublin city centre I find moving about on the road is easier, changing lanes, etc. I've also noticed passing vehicles giving me a bit more space, apart from the odd delightful character.

It's very well built, easy to operate, decent battery life, very bright and responds to the environment in the way advertised. Definitely worth the investment. I've had plenty of your standard flashy rear lights and none of them come anywhere near this.

Thanks for that. It would be worth the investment if she feels safer on the roads. She doesn't commute by bike so only heads out once a week for about 30-40k so I suppose I could use it for commuting too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Got the 95L rear light last week and would echo what's said above, very bright, easy to use, and definitely feel traffic gives you a wider berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Got set of these earlier this year having seen them while driving one night. use the rear one on all spins night or day. Have booked a new set with Kickstarter. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I bought the kickstarter one yesterday, looks like a good buy! Pity it'll be Jan when I get it but oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Thanks for this, I just went ahead and backed it myself. I was keen on the first version but never pulled the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This is beyond my tech understanding and I know the future ones must have bluetooth or something to connect/talk via a phone for the new GUI but is it implausible that the old USB version couldn't have a mini PC/Mac GUI to adjust the settings?

Bit weird the current "using" the light itself to choose its settings. Green/red colour blindness doesn't help :(

Great lights all the same!

If you can catch the see.sense lads at any shows/events they are usually doing a great deal on their lights by the way. A recent example being the Great Dublin bike ride 2015.

Received mine in the post on Monday. See.sense Icon rear light.

First impressions:

It seems sturdy and robust enough. However there's one gripe... there's a rubber cover for the charger port, which is not tethered on at all, which seems easily lost. This cover also acts as part of the mounting on the seat post, so I'm not too impressed that it's so easily to lose.

As for connecting your phone to it. I assumed it would be possible to somehow turn the bluetooth on, without the insanely bright light being on at the same time. But that doesn't seem to be the case. apparently you shake the light to activate the bluetooth, without the light being on! The app from the app store is clunky and unclear and should be more polished.

Once connected you can play around with the light intensity and different options. You can also set feature such as theft alert, and crash alert. None of which I expect to use really.

The light is very bright, and does change depending on different factors when moving. However I haven't had it long enough to really notice how it changes, and the fact it's on the rear of the light makes it harder to see!

I wont rate it out of 10 just yet since it's so new to me. But for now, it seems like a good light, but the added phone connectivity seems to be a gimmick.

Has anyone else received one?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Got the front and rear set, agree that the app is a bit clunky but I'd assume it can/will be updated in due course. The rear light is very, very bright, I'd prefer more choice with the flashing pattern, but again presume this may follow in due course. The front light is also very, very bright but it's definitely a 'be seen' light rather than 'see'. Again limited choice of flash pattern, and the beam doesn't seem to be too focused so it's probably going to annoy oncoming motorists.
    Agree also about the rubber charger port cover, way too easy to come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

German regulations don't allow flashing lights, as it makes it harder fir cars to judge distances and also because they are hypnotising to both drunk and tired drivers.
    What are people thoughts on the German regulations when compared to these lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Non-flashing lights are much, much less effective in urban environments where you have non-flashing white and red lights everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Alek wrote: »
    Non-flashing lights are much, much less effective in urban environments where you have non-flashing white and red lights everywhere.

I've switched to constant lights all round (one front, one rear, two wrist lights pointing to the side). As lights have got brighter, I've started finding the flashing really annoying -- my lights, I mean, not the ones on other bikes.

I don't think there's a huge amount of research done into how effective various bike conspicuity aids are and how effective they are in different modes. Judging by the record of Dublin bikes, constant lights, provided they're fairly bright, work ok.

Advertisement