Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get rid of or replace the loop line bridge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Another solution is to take the bridge down and not provide any replacement line so that northside and southside are actually divided…

Won't work. The trains will just drive really fast and jump the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Why do they need such a massive gridwork of a bridge - the pillars are also far too big? It probably wouldn't defeat an engineer to design a bridge that would have a single horizontal element, so even though the bridge remained we would still be able to see the rest of the city.

cutomhsepreloopline2hh2-2.jpg
    dublin5-620x413.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Another solution is to take the bridge down and not provide any replacement line so that northside and southside are actually divided…

didnt they already try something similar with the broadmeadow viaduct?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How often do people actually stop on a bridge to take in the view? I do it myself from time to time but I'm not sure many other people do.

It's not the prettiest of bridges but it looks much better since they removed the advertising from it and actually it's not half bad. Surely something supporting multiple Darts and commuter trains every day needs to be sturdy and strong and therefore a bit chunky?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There are a lot worse looking buildings in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There are a lot worse looking buildings in Dublin.

tbf I think it is less about the bridge itself and more about the visual impact and impeded views etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Riskymove wrote: »
    tbf I think it is less about the bridge itself and more about the visual impact and impeded views etc

Unless there's something like a serious structural issue, I very much doubt it will be replaced in our lifetimes. A case of build a bridge and get over it.

As an occasional visitor to Dublin I like the bridge - it is as much an image of the city as the customs house to me.

There is a lot of lower hanging fruit available if you want to see the city centre beautified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What about superstition - getting rid of the bridge would improve the city's feng shui!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If we're getting rid of anything, it should be Hawkins House.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I got to like the loop line. It is brutal, strong too. A lovely reminder of strong and unkind engineering. I like cities with stark tattoos of things that meant something at some point.

I've a construction engineering background and can't see how a tunnel would work as the gradients to get under and up below the liffey and return the lines back into existing lines would take a huge length of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's a great looking piece of heavy engineering. Much better looking than many of the surrounding buildings.

It would also be immensely impractical and expensive to tunnel. Trains can't really deal with more than a 3% grade. So probably 10m to street level, another 5m to river and 10m to bottom underneath; 25m drop, requires almost a km to allow for that either side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

I quite like the bridge, would be nice if it wasn't as 'low-lying' as it is now, but not much that could be done about that. Tara Street station is definitely needed, so I don't see the 'going around' options being too realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

why not just have a ramp at each side and the train can jump over the liffey ? :rolleyes:

why not just have a ramp at each side and the train can jump over the liffey ? :rolleyes:

Yes, already suggested this, but for some reason people aren't enthusiastic. Actually, on thinking it through, probably the most sensible thing would be to have a couple of airships hovering over the river that could attach hooks to the train and float it across each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yes, already suggested this, but for some reason people aren't enthusiastic. Actually, on thinking it through, probably the most sensible thing would be to have a couple of airships hovering over the river that could attach hooks to the train and float it across each time.

now you're being silly.

How about giant fans floating on the Liffey that levitate the trains over on a cushion on air?

loyatemu wrote: »
    now you're being silly.

How about giant fans floating on the Liffey that levitate the trains over on a cushion on air?

Oooh! I *likes* it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

loyatemu wrote: »
    now you're being silly.

Perhaps a giant magnet under the water, and another giant magnet with reverse polarity on the train that could hover the train across.

Or better still, a London eye type setup with a rollercoaster. If you angled it right, it would allow a clear view down the quays.

I wouldn't dismiss a giant cannon either, there's lots you could do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had to remind myself what the proposed redevelopment of Liberty Hall was supposed to look like:

1224320381139_1.jpg

eeew

it would look fine a kilometer or two further east along the quays imo

back to the bridge, it's ugly as sin but it ain't going anywhere anytime soon, it's a shame that it can't be tidied up a bit, those horrible lattice girder things are rotten looking yokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

BMJD wrote: »
    back to the bridge, it's ugly as sin but it ain't going anywhere anytime soon, it's a shame that it can't be tidied up a bit, those horrible lattice girder things are rotten looking yokes

One man's "horrible lattice girder" is another man's beautiful industrial heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I had to remind myself what the proposed redevelopment of Liberty Hall was supposed to look like:

pity that never happened. might have finally been the kick off of building up instead of ever outwards in Dublin

1224320381139_1.jpg

eeew

A lot better than what's there now..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If people think the loop line is bad, wait till the NRA has a go at our nice little financial quarter, to be, in the Docklands with their 'Eastern Bypass'

http://dublinportabr.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Planning-Report-Appendix-4.-ABR-and-the-Eastern-Bypass.pdf

A high four lane viaduct is proposed. At 45metres above ground level it would overshadow most of the low-rise docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In fairness, that report states that a tunnel beneath the port/Liffey is an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nim wrote: »
    A lot better than what's there now..

Definitely not that it will happen with Dublin's terror of tall buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I love the Loopline! Love the shots of it in The Commitments. A great treat as a child in the 80s used to be a drive into town for a McDonald's and eat it parked up waiting to see the DART pass over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

No please;;;;;; Keep the bridge I have been jumping into the liffey from this bridge for the last 50 years

Aard wrote: »
    In fairness, that report states that a tunnel beneath the port/Liffey is an option too.

Sure if they're going to put a tunnel there for the road, can't they run the rail line alongside it?

• Advertisement

Sure if they're going to put a tunnel there for the road, can't they run the rail line alongside it?

That would be some detour..

Did you read the report? It's a completely different project in a completely different part of the city.

Advertisement