Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'low profile' underfloor heating retrofit

Options
  • 13-12-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of 'low profile' or 'overlay' underfloor heating solutions (brands such as nuheat or polypipe)

'traditional' underfloor heating is more suitable to new builds rather than renovations. (as typically existing floor would have to be removed or raised ~180mm to accomodate 100m Insulation + water pipes + finishing screed).
    (i know underfloor heating also works best in house that is insulated to fairly high degree)

But these 'low profile' underfloor heating solutions can be added on existing floors and only raise floor levels by ~20mm (so shouldnt cause problems for existing doors and windows)
    So they're much more suitable for renovations !

So im wondering they compare in Cost, Performance, 'floor stability' to the traditional systems used in new builds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aidanclif

Old post I know, but still relevant.

Has anyone used this type of underfloor heating?

Would you recommend or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Onmie look pretty good.

I think one problem is that if you install this on a ground floor, is that new builds have floors level with the external ground of the front door. I don't know if this is always the case but I think it is, and that is so to help with people with wheel chairs. The problem created is that your front door might not open if you internal floor is raised. I actually spoke to Onmie about this and they didn't seem to have an answer. I think UK houses are not like this? But this was a while ago, maybe they have a solution now?

Advertisement