Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRG Gym Bohermore

Options
  • 13-12-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of joining a gym in Galway and live right next to NRG Bohermore so it looks like an obvious choice... Just looking for some up to date information as the last post I could find about this gym is from 2012.

What are the general facilities like there? Are the classes good? What about the staff/other members/general vibe of the place? I've never joined a gym before so am really nervous about what to expect.

Any replies are hugely appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

I joined about 4 months ago and absolutely love the place!

I was going to join the Kingfisher in college but was worried the vibe would be to "gym-ie" so opted for NRG. I'm glad I did! The atmosphere in there is lovely. The staff are welcoming and helpful with any questions. On my first day they gave my a tour and a "how to" for all the machines. I also got a schedule and they gave me a routine for what to do everyday whether you want to tone up, lose weight, gain muscle etc.

As for the facilities, I think they're fabulous! Good few treadmills, ellipticals and exercise bikes (if that's their name). They also have rowing machines but there's only 4. Also a good free weights room and various weight machines. All the above are in really good knick, tellys on the treadmills and everything! There's also a small section of yoga mats, kettlebells and skipping ropes you can help yourself too. They also have a pool which is very nice, never used the sauna.

As for the classes, I couldn't tell ya. I prefer to work on my own but they have a great range of all the "usuals" you'd expect to see, kettlebells, yoga, zumba, spinning and loads more. They have a different timetable each month but they usually have those things on all the time.

Main thing I was worried about was would I be able to go on what I wanted when I wanted because it is a small gym. Answer is, sometimes no. If you go at peak times when everyone gets off work around 5-8pm, it's generally busy and you have to just use what you can. Early morning is the best time and there is usually only 3-4 other people there.

Hope that wasn't too long winded for you! My membership is up in a few weeks and I'm absolutely gutted. Definitely going to renew in the New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Thanks so much, very helpful! How much does membership cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

As far as I know, it's €12 for a day pass and I think a month was ~€70 but I could be wrong. I'm also not too sure if you can just pay per class if you only wanted to do the classes. I'm sure they provide something?

The weekend I joined they had a deal on and it was €150 for 4 months when it's usually €150 for 3 months. I think a year was near the €300 mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Hi OP :) I'm a member of NRG gym. You should also know that if u are a member of NRG gym you can also use their facilities in Knocknacarra. I use both as I live in Knocknacarra and work in town, so I go to one or the other depending on how it fits in with my day. I love the place. Knocknacarra is a nicer gym and has better facilities including a Canadian hot tub which can be a real treat after a session. I got 9 months for €299 with a month free added on, so €299 for 10 months really. I would have got the year membership but I mughmt get as much use of it for 2 Summer months as I plan on doing a bit of travelling. Any questions OP let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Another high recommendation for both NRG gyms in Galway. The treadmills in bohermore are especially good. They definitely don't skimp on quality of the gym equipment in either place. They are nice and clean too and membership fees are very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Great, thanks so much! Does it get very busy there? I'm a total gym-virgin, never even set foot in one so am worried I'll stick out like a sore thumb haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I'm a member there too, and I like it. I mostly go around 9-2 and it's quiet enough at those times. It can get busy enough at peak times as mentioned, but it all depends what you plan to use when there. If it's the weights, you might have to wait a bit to use what you need, or juggle your routine around what's available, but if it's something like the treadmill or elliptical you should be fine. I've never seen it so busy that there weren't a few of those free. Oh, and don't worry about sticking out. People will be too busy doing their own thing so wont pay much attention to you, and if they do, it's probably to think "Good on them, trying to get in shape".

Advertisement