Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying second bike

• 13-12-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I bought a Ninja 250 last February, i just passed the test and i think i will change it after my insurance expires. I use it for commuting daily from Ballinteer to Grand Canal Dock, about 10kms each way. Id like something that is good for going for a spin on and something that would be fun on a track which i intend to do in 2015.

I did the IBT on a bandit and did a couple pretests and my test on an ER6, both of them felt a lot more powerful than my bike but also very heavy in comparison, i don't know if all bigger bikes would feel like this? Im not sure how to describe it exactly but its like the ninja could by steered just using one finger where they need more force put in to lean the bike, getting back on the ninja afterwards made it feel a bit toy like but incredibly easy to control.

I was thinking of an SV650 to start on but thought the ninja was the better bike to learn on, i would still like one, though maybe it would be a bit to close to the ninja, id like to try something that is quite different. The CBR600F sounds like a very good bike for what i want, id like to have a go on one. I don't want to get something that i am afraid of, obviously i wouldn't be getting anywhere near the full potential of anything but in my mind something like a gsxr would be a bad idea as id be scared of them the whole time and it would stop me learning as quickly, im not sure if the cbr would be like that?

So basically just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, id be open to anything that suit my needs. Also if anyone knew of anywhere that sells bikes in Dublin that would be good to do a test drive.

I think ill get about 2500 for the Ninja, if i do then my budget will be about 3000 or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Never drove a 600F, but from what I've heard they're a really excellent all rounder.

It sounds like you have your head in the right place, and have a bit of sense, so to be honest I wouldn't worry too much.

Most 600 sports bike make their power when you go up the revs, once in the power band, they just wrap the power out. If you change up early you've nothing to worry about, they're actually fairly docile from my experience.

I was in the same situation as yourself, and ended up getting a k8 gsxr 600, it has a power mode feature so you can have a low power mode for rain, cold etc...or full power for a nice warm day and you're feeling like a bit of fun. Maybe consider getting something like that? Either way, you can't go wrong with a 600 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Never drove a 600F, but from what I've heard they're a really excellent all rounder.

It sounds like you have your head in the right place, and have a bit of sense, so to be honest I wouldn't worry too much.

Most 600 sports bike make their power when you go up the revs, once in the power band, they just wrap the power out. If you change up early you've nothing to worry about, they're actually fairly docile from my experience.

I was in the same situation as yourself, and ended up getting a k8 gsxr 600, it has a power mode feature so you can have a low power mode for rain, cold etc...or full power for a nice warm day and you're feeling like a bit of fun. Maybe consider getting something like that? Either way, you can't go wrong with a 600 :D
    Had a CBR 600 once. Fast bike that works best above 70mph. You WILL break the law every time you take it out. I changed it for a Bandit 600 which has a more upright riding position and a bit more docile. I found the sports bike a killer on the back and shoulders on long trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Had a CBR 600 once. Fast bike that works best above 70mph. You WILL break the law every time you take it out. I changed it for a Bandit 600 which has a more upright riding position and a bit more docile. I found the sports bike a killer on the back and shoulders on long trips.

Break all you like, the trick is not getting caught :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Get the CBR600RR.

CBR600F steers like a tractor in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

How would they compare for commuting or going on long rides? You hear a lot of people saying they dont like the bent over riding position, its all very theoretical to me though, id like to have a go on one but i think even then it might be hard to really tell what it would be like living with one. Id also be concerned about it being too big a step up, i dont think it would be problem in terms of responsibility but more just it hindering my progress, being overly cautious etc.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

The CBR600RR is considered the most user friendly and comfortable of the current 600 sportbikes. More midrange power so it doesn't have to be revved as much to get it going. Less manic than the R6 or ZX-6R.

You might hate the tucked down position of a sportbike, so you'll have to sit on some or better yet get a test ride.

For commuting, the ninja 250 is the better bike. Better MPG than the CBR. Tires and chain will last longer on the ninja as well.

The 07+ CBR600RRs are a big improvement over the previous generations. Will probably be out of budget range unfortunately.

Maybe you would be better off with CBR600F4I given your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

At the moment im certainly leaning towards the CBR600F, there is a CBR600FS which turned into the RR, i think its much closer to the F though, its missing the centre stand and has a split seat, i like the look of it over the F. Id like to try a few different bikes though, i might have a go on a Fazer, someone told me a Kawasaki Z750 would be worth considering and another guy was telling me to check out some Bmw though i think good Bmws might be out of my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Like you i had a ninja 250 and did a test on an sv650 and pretests on something similar.
    the 600 sports bikes did not feel as heavy in motion as these two "street bikes".
    In the end i bought an 1999 r6 and was thrilled by it (before someone drove into my on it), but as many have posted you will be speeding.
    I thought that r6 was very comfortable for me, much more so then the ninja (im 6"3)

Advertisement