Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to look for flats or apartments

Options
  • 13-12-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello,

I would really appreciate if I could get some advice on places to live in Dublin. We are young professional couple from the UK. Initially, I had my heart set on the dock area of city center but with time i realise they are quite expensive! So I have decided to look outside the city centre area as well with good connections to Dart or LUAS ( no more than 15-20 mins) My husband needs to travel to Belfast twice a week so it would be handy to be close to Connolly station or be at least very accessible.

What sort of budget should i be looking at? My initial budget was about 1150 euros in city centre with no travel cost for 1 bed flat. My future colleagues have warned me off staying in dublin 1 even if its close to work, but rather look at areas of Dublin 2,3,4 and 7 which are city centre, on Dart or the tram line.

If I go for a viewing, what things should I check before offering ( both in terms of location and generics)

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Parts of Dublin 1 are perfect. Like Capel Street or the IFSC. Dublin 2 has very little housing in it. €1150 should get an apartment in the city. The thing about Dublin is every wealthy area, has a poor area with social issues beside it. Like Glasnevin, has Finglas and Ballymun. Sandymount, has Ringsend and most of the IFSC has pretty rough areas around it. No area is going to be perfect. So if you just have common sense, you will be safe in most of the city

Public transport is really expensive in Dublin. You might be better off spending a bit more living in the city, rather than spending over €250 a month between you on bus tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Nothing wrong with Dublin 1 just make sure its the right area as parts aren't great. We are moving into a new place on capel st next week it had a much better finish than anywhere else we could find and handier for work (literally a 30 second commute) and you get more for your money.

We were going to move further out but it was going to cost around €1500 a month including transport and would add on a couple of hours to the day. Worth considering when looking for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chryan

The leap card would cost me around 160 euros for 4 weeks I think? For the two of us, it surely adds up to a pretty penny if we choose to live out. We looked some places on daft around Phoenix park and they look really good but around 1100 euros.

I will check out calpel street. any other specific areas i could look for? What about mountjoy, summerhill, christchurch areas? They were almost point blank refused by my colleagues ( but maybe because they are people with families and much older) I am in London at the moment so totally understand that a good area surrounded by a bit of dodgy ones but just a little concerned if I end up in a noisy student-y / druggies / living life-on-the-dole kind of areas for a minimum of 1 year without escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'd be inclined to agree with your colleagues on those areas. Christchurch would be the lesser of the evils to me but it totally depends on the complex and location within the area.

Advertisement