Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James Joyce - have you read any of his work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Yes the Dead the Dubliners and a lot of Ulysses but never those letters though. I will take a look.:)

Wowsers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

"Bae" and Joyce together.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dubliners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

GAAman wrote: »
    "Bae" and Joyce together.......

I rather think Joyce would go along with such terms, he is after all a man who wrote this in the early 20th century.

"You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I ****ed them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole."

• Advertisement

It's RUDE!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Just the Dubliners, some were good and some didn't interest me.

I've read Dubliners and Portrait Of the Artist as a Young Man.

I enjoyed Dubliners, the first few are dull but the ones in the middle and towards the end are more interesting.
    Conversely I really enjoyed the first half of Portrait of the Artist.... but the section with the big sermon in the middle was a bit of a chore, and from that point onwards the titular artist becomes a bit of an ass.

I have a copy of Ulysses that's been sitting on my desk for the past two or three years....I'll get around to someday, I swear! Doubt I'll ever try Finnegan's Wake though, ain't nobody got time for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I got most of the way thru Ulysyses when I was younger and cleverer. Its a bit mad...and dirty in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

dan185 wrote: »
    I rather think Joyce would go along with such terms, he is after all a man who wrote this in the early 20th century.

"You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I ****ed them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole."

She must have been drinking Satzenbrau

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Dubliners and POAAAAYM. Can't remember either of them but I finished them both so I must've liked them. Read those letters too....if ye know what I mean. ;);)

Edit: we probably weren't supposed to read those letters, I'm guessing. Like an old skool "Fappening" scandal.

Read those letters too....if ye know what I mean. ;);)

No....please elaborate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sh1te and onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I tried Finnegan's Wake. I'm not convinced it's not a massive piss take.

It starts like this, for those of you who don't know. Yes, in mid-sentence.
    riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay,
    brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle
    and Environs. Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore
    rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of
    Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's
    rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's
    gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice
    from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet,
    though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not
    yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone
    nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by
    arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the
    aquaface.
    The fall
    (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntro
    varrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait
    oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian
    minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the
    pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of
    humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of
    his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock
    out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green
    since devlinsfirst loved livvy.

For fukk sake James. Cop yourself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Bae is a word for the young, not an old fart like Joyce. The only thing I'd conclude from your quote is that Joyce could contribute very well to an AH thread on farting, sharting and arse wiping. And that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Dubliners, to my mind, is accessible and often achingly beautiful. Portrait Of An Artist takes time, but repays. Ulysses is an ongoing study. Finnegan is indecipherable. Everything else can wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

If four hundred monkeys typed on four hundred keyboards for four hundred years, they would have come up with Finnegan's Wake.
    bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!

Stupid fukkin' monkeys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Nora could do with an ould wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Nora could do with an ould wash.

Fcuking barnacle on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

I've read Dubliners. Couldn't really enjoy it as it was for college, so it was more of a dissection job than for leisure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Trying to understand Joyce is like trying to do Crosaire crosswords.
    When you have it, you have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Wtf is a bae? :confused:

And no, I haven't read any Joyce, life's too short for that nonsense.

policarp wrote: »
    Trying to understand Joyce is like trying to do Crosaire crosswords.
    When you have it, you have it

I am going to re-use this quote, it sums Joyce up for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Well if you haven't, get on this wonderful collection of love letters he wrote to a former bae.

NSFW TEXT

http://loveletters.tribe.net/thread/fce72385-b146-4bf2-9d2e-0dfa6ac7142d

Its nothing to do with what he actually wrote though. Its the fact he's from Dublin.*

*was from Dublin, now dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Never read Joyce or even been remotely inclined - until now :)

He does write filth well. With an energy and an earthiness - what's his horniest read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Reading the "Dubiners" at the moment actually. I have read about 30-40 pages of "Finnegan's wake" too, that is pretty difficult reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Jim needs a bit of help methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I've heard about the love letters but never read them. I knew Joycey was a filthy little dude. I was on a serious Joyce kick back in 09. I read everything I could get my hands on from him. Dubliners, A Portrait of an Artist as a Young man, lots of poetry - Chamber Music. Both Ulysses and Finnegans Wake I had to read with readers guide and still don't know what to make of Finnegans Wake, I don't think anyone will ever fully understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Nope I haven't read any and have no plans to either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He hasn't released anything of note in a long while, just living off his former glories now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bits of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Ulysses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I haven't and no amount of money in the world would make me do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Have opened them and given up, if I want to pretend to be an intellectual I'd just natter on about Flann O'Brien at least his books were readable and slightly funny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blackguard/blaggard is a word that should come back into more use. I'd throw frig in there too for good measure. F*ckbird is a keeper too. He seems to be well acquainted with the bald man in a rowboat, that by too many accounts is still oft lacking these days and with the interwebs ye've scant excuse lads. Though he was a tad more scatological for my personal tastes. A fart had him going more than the sight of a boob.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Have opened them and given up, if I want to pretend to be an intellectual I'd just natter on about Flann O'Brien at least his books were readable and slightly funny

I'm disagree. I think Joyce's Dubliners allows us to explore the meaninglessness of consciousness, especially when observed through a Foucauldian perspective of governmentality and power. Phenomenological discourses evident in Joyce's works allow us to witness precultural paradigm of reality and prestructuralist semanticism, thereby providing an opportunity for deeper-sounding, intellectual sh*te-talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Nope I haven't read any and have no plans to either

Good man, always a rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, I've read Dubliners, A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man and Ulysses. Really enjoyed them all but Finnegan's Wake looks like it'd be impossible to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I'm disagree. I think Joyce's Dubliners allows us to explore the meaninglessness of consciousness, especially when observed through a Foucauldian perspective of governmentality and power. Phenomenological discourses evident in Joyce's works allow us to witness precultural paradigm of reality and prestructuralist semanticism, thereby providing an opportunity for deeper-sounding, intellectual sh*te-talk.

That's easy for you to say...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well said that man ! :D

I've read Dubliners and Portrait and enjoyed them very much. Started on Ulysses a few times, but never made it past the first 20 odd pages.

When my nephew turned 30, he and a few mates did up a list of things to do before they turned 40. Reading Ulysses was one of them. So they joined a Trinity book club, that got together one night a week to read a chapter of Ulysses. Each night, they went somewhere new that was mentioned in the book & had a few pints at or near the spot, which really added to the overall craic factor.

Having it be a Trinners thing, sounds fierce high falutin altogether. But he said that the group was made up of a lot of very average Joe's like him, who were always curious about the hype surrounding Joyce, but found him too hard to tackle on their own. It took them about 6 months to get through it all, but he said it was one of the best things he ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Started Ulysses once, got about 100 pages through and was actually enjoying it. It's a fierce tough read though, I was wrecked after 20 pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

don't you need to know a bit of homer before starting ulysses? ulysses is latin for odysseus so one would assume..?

Anyway a nice old man told me in Easons to stay away from Finnegan's wake, looks he was as baked as a cake when he wrote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

He kept himself pretty sozzled on white wine, is what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I made an attempt at Finnegan's Wake, got about 100 pages in and decided f*ck it, life is too short for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MadYaker wrote: »
    I made an attempt at Finnegan's Wake, got about 100 pages in and decided f*ck it, life is too short for this.

Harldly anyones read Finnegans Wake,its virtualy unreadable.I got through Ulysses,took me about six months but it was worth the effort.Its more accesable than its reputation suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I liked him before he was mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

bae.

Stop using the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Only the Dubliners which I like, my husband loves the short stories as well and often re reads them. The John Huston film The Dead is his favourite Christmas film although I think its gloomy it does capture the mood of the story very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement