Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Lampard

• 13-12-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

I say this as an Arsenal fan. But this man is the best English midfielder to ever grace the Premier League. For any midfielder to score 100+ goals is an accolade but the chap has just matched Thierry Henrys league tally today. People bang on about Gerrard and Scholes but imo Lampard is better. An under rated gem of a player.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lampard has been quality and a class act too but he is not as good as Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Technically i'd say he's inferior to Scholes but his goal record is incredible and he rarely gets injured and scores in big games, he's a leader and a great pro.

I've always thought he was better then Gerard? Better then Scholes?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Technically not as good but I would have him in my team ahead of Scholes every day of the week just for the amount of important/match winning goals he scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Scholes better than Lampard, Lampard better than Gerrard in my opinion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Underrated by who? He's held in extremely high regard as a footballer, and rightfully so. Great player. Still think Scholes was better, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I give a lot of credit to Lampard but he couldn't take a game by the scruff of the neck like a Scholes or even Gerrard. That's not taken anything away from the man, a great scoring record but I agree he's no Scholes but who is in the English League these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Technically not as good but I would have him in my team ahead of Scholes every day of the week just for the amount of important/match winning goals he scores.

Scholes could dictate a football match from start to finish.

Lampard couldn't do that. A lot of his good work was in a 5 (or 3 if you look at it that way) man midfield where he had license to make those late runs into the box.

I say this as an Arsenal fan. But this man is the best English midfielder to ever grace the Premier League. For any midfielder to score 100+ goals is an accolade but the chap has just matched Thierry Henrys league tally today. People bang on about Gerrard and Scholes but imo Lampard is better. An under rated gem of a player.

My Fellow Gunner Lampard is no way underrated and to say that is a little silly. The man has always been up there and about for World Player of the year awards and PL player of the year. The man is one of the legends of the English game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For any midfielder to score 100+ goals is an accolade but the chap has just matched Thierry Henrys league tally today..

Not taking away from him but for balance we are talking about a huge difference in the number of games played. Henry played 258 vs Lampards just shy of 600

Looper007 wrote: »
    My Fellow Gunner Lampard is no way underrated and to say that is a little silly. The man has always been up there and about for World Player of the year awards and PL player of the year. The man is one of the legends of the English game.

Well any time I hear fans talking about the best English midfielders you would always here the likes of Gerrard or Scholes names mentioned first, maybe because what clubs they play for. He has superior stats than both players in goals and assists and has played much fewer games than Scholes has anyways.

• Advertisement

Great player.

. He has superior stats than both players in goals and assists and has played much fewer games than Scholes has anyways.

Hes played 100 league games more than Scholes.

Well any time I hear fans talking about the best English midfielders you would always here the likes of Gerrard or Scholes names mentioned first, maybe because what clubs they play for. He has superior stats than both players in goals and assists and has played much fewer games than Scholes has anyways.

I think Gerrard gets more credit cause he's not always surround by the talent Lampard was at Chelsea and in his prime dragged Liverpool to place where they at times had no right to be. He's nowhere near Scholes as a player, now if you want to talk about a seriously underrated player then he's one. It's scary how Beckham was getting nods for World Player of Year awards while Scholes who was Utd's real find was ignored year in and year out. He's the player's player.

Not taking away from him but for balance we are talking about a huge difference in the number of games played. Henry played 258 vs Lampards just shy of 600

Not doubting that. Maybe a bad comparison. Hes more goals than the likes of Robbie Fowler and Teddy Sheringham. For a midfielder its an astounding return of goals.

I think Gerrard gets more credit cause he's not always surround by the talent Lampard was at Chelsea and in his prime dragged Liverpool to place where they at times had no right to be. He's nowhere near Scholes as a player, now if you want to talk about a seriously underrated player then he's one. It's scary how Beckham was getting nods for World Player of Year awards while Scholes who was Utd's real find was ignored year in and year out. He's the player's player.

Beckham never won the best player in the world did he? Did he even get top 3?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Beckham never won the best player in the world did he? Did he even get top 3?

I think in 1999/2000 he did was behind Rivaldo that year I think. He was in for the running for those awards back in the late 90's.

Hes played 100 league games more than Scholes.

My apologies. I hadnt got the stats off hand but was sure Scholes made more apps than him.

I see this being regularly said about Gerrard. But lets be honest in his best season he had Alonso and Mascherano playing behind him. Not exactly a shoddy midfield now.

Beckham was a hugely underrated player by fans.

Yes, I went there, :) . Its true though.

Where did Gerrard exactly drag Liverpool to? A Champions League win? I would give Benitez more credit for that win than I would Gerrard, tactically the man that year was a wizard.

• Advertisement

My apologies. I hadnt got the stats off hand but was sure Scholes made more apps than him.

Scholes missed a season and a bit thanks to a serious eye injury. He's still got it as well on the field.

Blue giant wrote: »
    I see this being regularly said about Gerrard. But lets be honest in his best season he had Alonso and Mascherano playing behind him. Not exactly a shoddy midfield now.

Well that's true, but he didn't always have Mascherano there on 2005 . Gerrard pretty much dragged Liverpool to CL final and won it for them. That was his best season for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

You have to admire what Lampard has done in the game and still doing. Really is a wonderful player but I would have Gerrard and Scholes ahead of him because of what other posters have said as CM he couldn't dictate the play like them two could. But really a great player and Premier League Legend.

Where did Gerrard exactly drag Liverpool to? A Champions League win? I would give Benitez more credit for that win than I would Gerrard, tactically the man that year was a wizard.

A F.A Cup win in which he scored twice after they where behind in 2006 and the CL game in the group stage agaisn't Olympiakos when he was by far the best player on the field and the final when in the 2nd half he ran the game, scored the first goal and got the peno. the man deserves more credit then you give him Gringo.

Pretty surprising is that Scholes only has 45 Prem Lge assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lampards been a magnificent player but the best English midfielder ever? Paul Scholes.

A F.A Cup win in which he scored twice after they where behind in 2006 and the CL game in the group stage agaisn't Olympiakos when he was by far the best player on the field and the final when in the 2nd half he ran the game, scored the first goal and got the peno. the man deserves more credit then you give him Gringo.

Hardly a huge accolade been the best player on the pitch v Olympiakos. I think Gerrard is a top player especially in the big games were he always rises to the occasion but he isnt even Liverpools best midfielder in the last 10 years, Alonso made everything tick in that side under Benitez, what a player he was.

Great discussion this. The way Scholes was treated by English National team was disgraceful and they never replaced him either.

You have to admire what Lampard has done in the game and still doing. Really is a wonderful player but I would have Gerrard and Scholes ahead of him because of what other posters have said as CM he couldn't dictate the play like them two could. But really a great player and Premier League Legend.

I wouldn't put Gerrard in the same league as Scholes in dictating a game. A telling indicator of this is his sharp decline the last few years, particularly this year. Scholes was still the main man for United in midfield well into his thirties ( granted there wasn't exactly great options ) and even Lampard has continued to perform and score goals.

• Advertisement

Hardly a huge accolade been the best player on the pitch v Olympiakos. I think Gerrard is a top player especially in the big games were he always rises to the occasion but he isnt even Liverpools best midfielder in the last 10 years, Alonso made everything tick in that side under Benitez, what a player he was.

I disagree with you Gringo, if he was a Arsenal player you would have given him a lot more credit then you would. I agree Alonso is a great player but Gerrard for a time during the mid 00's the best midfielder around and I think he would have got into many top teams around Europe. He was the best Liverpool player since John Barnes that I ever seen. A top Professional.

I disagree with you Gringo, if he was a Arsenal player you would have given him a lot more credit then you would. I agree Alonso is a great player but Gerrard for a time during the mid 00's the best midfielder around and I think he would have got into many top teams around Europe. He was the best Liverpool player since John Barnes that I ever seen. A top Professional.

Suarez, Torres, Owen, Alonso all have a strong case to make I feel.

I wouldn't put Gerrard in the same league as Scholes in dictating a game. A telling indicator of this is his sharp decline the last few years, particularly this year. Scholes was still the main man for United in midfield well into his thirties ( granted there wasn't exactly great options ) and even Lampard has continued to perform and score goals.

Gerrard hasn't been playing well lately and looks like he has aged this year. But Gerrard has performed and scored goals up on until now too so there's no arguement there in that one. I would argue that Gerrard was in the same league as Scholes for dictating play technically he's in the same league he's defensive game is better than Scholes. Scholes had the quicker brain saw things quicker a little bit more clever in and around the box. But unfair to say Gerrard not in the same league.

You can see why Lampard is overlooked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I've always rated Scholes as better than Lampard and Gerrard. In fact, I always thought a better comparison for Scholes was Xavi and possibly even Alonso.

But I'd have to point out that he was playing alongside Roy Keane for the significant part of his career which obviously did no harm.

I think if I was to choose between Lampard or Gerard for my team (or any particular team) it would depend on the other players. In a stronger team I'd pick Lampard, in a weaker team that maybe needed to be carried somewhat, I'd have Gerrard.

I've always rated Scholes as better than Lampard and Gerrard. In fact, I always thought a better comparison for Scholes was Xavi and possibly even Alonso.

But I'd have to point out that he was playing alongside Roy Keane for the significant part of his career which obviously did no harm.

I think if I was to choose between Lampard or Gerard for my team (or any particular team) it would depend on the other players. In a stronger team I'd pick Lampard, in a weaker team that maybe needed to be carried somewhat, I'd have Gerrard.

Surely a player that has the ability to carry a weaker team you would pick in a stronger team? No

• Advertisement

Gerrard hasn't been playing well lately and looks like he has aged this year. But Gerrard has performed and scored goals up on until now too so there's no arguement there in that one. I would argue that Gerrard was in the same league as Scholes for dictating play technically he's in the same league he's defensive game is better than Scholes. Scholes had the quicker brain saw things quicker a little bit more clever in and around the box. But unfair to say Gerrard not in the same league.

Surely you're not serious. Scholes is in a different planet to Gerrard when it comes to dictating games. I don't think I ever saw Gerrard pull the strings in midfield anyway in which Scholes has. Scholes can defend too. Remember Barca 08. He just likes to leave the leg in a bit :p

Anyway for a thread about Lampard this has gone off topic a bit I suppose. An excellent player with an unreal scoring record. The only Chelsea player of recent years who I don't have a strong dislike for either. Always seemed like an intelligent and likeable guy. Something not exactly said for some of his Chelsea teammates.

Surely you're not serious. Scholes is in a different planet to Gerrard when it comes to dictating games. I don't think I ever saw Gerrard pull the strings in midfield anyway in which Scholes has. Scholes can defend too. Remember Barca 08. He just likes to leave the leg in a bit :p

Anyway for a thread about Lampard this has gone off topic a bit I suppose. An excellent player with an unreal scoring record. The only Chelsea player of recent years who I don't have a strong dislike for either. Always seemed like an intelligent and likeable guy. Something not exactly said for some of his Chelsea teammates.

Fair enough we're going off topic we'll leave it. But I would strongly disagree that Gerrard can't dictate a game. Did it very well last year in a deeper role

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    13 goals and 13 assists last year
    One slip :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Surely a player that has the ability to carry a weaker team you would pick in a stronger team? No

Not necessarily. I suppose I just feel Gerrard could do better at getting the best out of the players around him whereas once the other players are already at a certain level, Lampard can provide more in the way of goals. That's just my opinion though I couldn't really give you any evidence to justify it if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When did the world stop referring to Frank Lampard as "Frank Lampard Jnr." and start referring to him as just "Frank Lampard" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

By Premier league standards Lampard was a great player. I'm not sure if he was world class though.

Part of which was down to England management shoehorning himself and Gerrard into the same team.

May be a bit harsh on the guy but I always felt he needed to be in a decent midfield to be effective. By himself his contribution to game management and defensive organisation, was well, very poor. He frequently seemed to be out of position. Others would always have to compensate for that.

Great at goal scoring. Good for man to man defending, not so sure about everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Fair enough we're going off topic we'll leave it. But I would strongly disagree that Gerrard can't dictate a game. Did it very well last year in a deeper role

Pinging pointless diagonal 60 yards doesn't mean you can dictate the tempo of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Scholes is simply one of the greatest players of all time. He just had that special something about him. And he was never about assisting goals, he was always about finding that killer pass that would cut a defence open and giving someone a chance to slot a beautiful ball into the strikers path to score. Scholes was the heart (or glue as Neville put it) of the United team, always.

Lampard and Gerrard are two amazing players, greats of the English games. But to say either one of them was better than Paul Scholes is ludicrous in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

How about 3 great players of this generation that have left a strong impact on the game and will be remembered for years to come. Loyal servants to their clubs with great success at different levels.
    Which is better is merely subjective and actually impossible to prove.
    They all had different strengths and success with different personalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Top class player, a little underrated by some imo! Chelsea wouldn't have won so much without him as a mainstay in the side. Recent memories point to that pass to Ramires to setup Drogba in the first leg vs Barca, then an even better pass to him in the away leg.

All 3 are different players, for me Scholes technically was superior, Gerrard physically superior and Lampard a great goal scorer. Wouldn't have a bad player on your hands if you could combine all 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For me he was always a classier midfielder than Gerrard. More skill as opposed to Stevie G's hussle and bustle. Would have suited playing abroad more.

Got a great goalscoring record for a midfielder, but he did shoot at every opportunity!

Pinging pointless diagonal 60 yards doesn't mean you can dictate the tempo of a game.

Where did I post that it does ? But while your at It I presume your on about long balls out wide to start attacks ? Yes Gerrard likes that Scholes was fond of it too off either foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Did I see somewhere on here that scholes only has 45 assists in the premiership? Considering he played about 400 games that's not a great record for someone so renowned for their passing. Cesc fabregas has about 10 this season and he plays a similar role to what scholes would have played. I know people will say he "assisted the assist" a lot but can anyone really back that up with any evidence? Scholes was a super striker of the ball in fairness to him though, probably the best long range shooter the premiership has seen

For me frank lampard is the best of the 3. Of the 3 he was probably the most "goal focused" but he was also a hard worker and a fine passer of the ball. I think fir as great a player as stevie was he tried the Roy of the rovers stuff a bit too much, a lot of the time I know it was because he was surrounded with players that were a level or 2 below his ability but I still thought his decision making was often poor when the pressure was really on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

nuxxx wrote: »
    Top class player, a little underrated by some imo! Chelsea wouldn't have won so much without him as a mainstay in the side. Recent memories point to that pass to Ramires to setup Drogba in the first leg vs Barca, then an even better pass to him in the away leg.

All 3 are different players, for me Scholes technically was superior, Gerrard physically superior and Lampard a great goal scorer. Wouldn't have a bad player on your hands if you could combine all 3 :)
    This

• Advertisement
Advertisement