Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Lampard

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He played a blinder in that video with Kieran Dyer and Rio.

Sullied his reputation with that, and with the shenanigans of his transfer to US/City as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did I see somewhere on here that scholes only has 45 assists in the premiership? Considering he played about 400 games .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gerrard was more talented than Lampard no doubt, but Lampard achieved more out of his career and in terms of reaching his potential. I still prefer Scholes (hardly surprising for a Man Utd fan) but it's closer than some give credit for. Lampard also did far more than just score goals, if I recall nearly every year he was right near the top for passing and ground covered in the league, as well as tackles, interceptions, etc at Chelsea. Absolute role model in terms of squeezing every little last possible bit of potential out of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've always rated Scholes as better than Lampard and Gerrard. In fact, I always thought a better comparison for Scholes was Xavi and possibly even Alonso.

But I'd have to point out that he was playing alongside Roy Keane for the significant part of his career which obviously did no harm.

I think if I was to choose between Lampard or Gerard for my team (or any particular team) it would depend on the other players. In a stronger team I'd pick Lampard, in a weaker team that maybe needed to be carried somewhat, I'd have Gerrard.
    Funny enough playing beside Keane for so long actually did do some "harm" - not in terms of his achievements or anything at all like that, but that he played second fiddle in a sense, and a lot of people didn't think he could run a midfield on his own until he did so.

That said, I do agree about Xavi/Alonso being better comparisons for the role Scholes played later in his career and it pains me to say it but... Xavi was better at it :( . Simply the best player ever at what he does/did, and by a reasonable distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fantastic footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Where did I post that it does ? But while your at It I presume your on about long balls out wide to start attacks ? Yes Gerrard likes that Scholes was fond of it too off either foot.

The difference between Scholes and Gerrard is Scholes knew WHEN to go long, Gerrard is just an unintelligent donkey who can ping the ball to the corner, I've no idea where you get the impression he can dictate a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sure the greatest English player, along with Scholes in run of the mill EPL games, but to be considered great , you do it in the big games , never really remember altering the really big games , particularly internationally, the way say Bryan Robson, Roy Keane , Perlo , Platini could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Gerrard=Lampard>Scholes for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No surprise there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Sorry for having an opinion lads. Jesus Christ like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Where is this Scholes only assisted 45 goals thing coming from? I have a feeling that this is incorrect.

As for Lampard, great player. His direct comparison is Gerrard, not Scholes. Hard to choose between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I don't think there was any official record of the number of assists before the 2002-03 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

The difference between Scholes and Gerrard is Scholes knew WHEN to go long, Gerrard is just an unintelligent donkey who can ping the ball to the corner, I've no idea where you get the impression he can dictate a game.

So all Gerrards passes are long diags. Look at some of Owen Suarez and Torres goals from their time they were at Liverpool that will change your opinion. As for unintelligent a player that has and can play so many positions unintelligent is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pinging pointless diagonal 60 yards doesn't mean you can dictate the tempo of a game.

Hollywood pass
    Daisy cutting shots
    kiss the camera

=> World class

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Took a long think, but I'd probably just about go for Lampard myself. The man was incredibly effective. Scholes is definitely the sort of player the average football fan prefers though, because of his style, and his mannerisms. Gerrard a bit behind both of them but still a fantastic player in his day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

thebaz wrote: »
    sure the greatest English player, along with Scholes in run of the mill EPL games, but to be considered great , you do it in the big games , never really remember altering the really big games , particularly internationally, the way say Bryan Robson, Roy Keane , Perlo , Platini could

He would have in 2010 only for lack of goal line technology.

Advertisement