Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hay/silage feeding for inlamb ewes

Options
  • 13-12-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi
    just wondering how long would a big round of hay or silage would last say 10 lowland ewes while allowing access to mineral buckets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

4512 wrote: »
    hi
    just wondering how long would a big round of hay or silage would last say 10 lowland ewes while allowing access to mineral buckets?

You'd be better with hay as opposed to silage. They wouldn't get through it. Find mine are eating a bale of silage every 1.5 to two days for 110 ewes.silage bale would go off 4-5 days after opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I ususally allow roughly 1 round bale per ewe for the winter (some gets fed to rams etc)...ie if I have 80 ewes I try to have at least 80 round bales

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭4512

I ususally allow roughly 1 round bale per ewe for the winter (some gets fed to rams etc)...ie if I have 80 ewes I try to have at least 80 round bales
    do you feed meal/ration too?

4512 wrote: »
    do you feed meal/ration too?

ya...just to twins and triplets (not much)silage ad-lib feeding though....as soon as they lamb I turn them out and nomore ration though

I winters them in an old house with runback onto an acre of rough enough ground(old ruins of houses/ditches etc)
    so they lie out in good weather and inside on rough days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

That's allot more than I would budget for. Although I do feed ration to them. I'd only budget half a bale per ewe.

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    That's allot more than I would budget for. Although I do feed ration to them. I'd only budget half a bale per ewe.

see well that's what i8 budget....but this includes to feed any rams/leftover lambs etc
    being honest...I never have any problem selling the excess in the spring and after the year of 2012 being honest....I never will ever cut it tight....receipe for disaster....seen a lot of good farmers nearly go under/exhaust there silage pits thsat year which still haven't fully been refilled

Advertisement