Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Lee - World Champion!

• 14-12-2014 5:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭

Need to shout from some rooftops!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yeah,tell us who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He's the WBO Middleweight Champion of the World from Limerick. Just won the title. Beautiful right hook and a super flurry to beat undefeated Korobov (24 wins) in the 6th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

WBO though ?

The sport with multiple world champions in each weight division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Incredible achievement from a man that was written off. He was a big underdog tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Finally did it it, fair play to him. Many doubted him

• Advertisement

Boxing entered the realms of pantomime many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ebbsy wrote: »
    WBO though ?

That's the way the sport went over the years, Anyone who holds one of the 4 Major organisations titles is still a serious fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

J Mysterio wrote: »
    He's the WBO Middleweight Champion of the World from Limerick. Just won the title. Beautiful right hook and a super flurry to beat undefeated Korobov (24 wins) in the 6th!
    Fair play to him,there was talk of him retiring a couple of years ago after his title fight loss to Chavez Jr. But he's finally cracked it.
    Its worth noting that Andy is not from Limerick, he is from English traveller stock,came to limerick as a child.Tyson furey is a cousin of his,as is young Crank Whitehouse from Balbriggan.That's a name to look out for in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Well done Andy, great boxer and a great bloke, always humble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Congrats Andy - hail fellow well met.

Always a polite and geneil guy delighted for him

It's a long way from the shock defeat in Texas Now

And the new...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bandwagon : Activate!

efb wrote: »
    It's a long way from the shock defeat in Texas now

I don't think its fair to say that was a shock defeat, he was fighting a Mexican in El paso,only a ko would have clinched it for Andy,he was never going to win it on a decision

I don't think its fair to say that was a shock defeat, he was fighting a Mexican in El paso,only a ko would have clinched it for Andy,he was never going to win it on a decision

The stoppage came out of the blue though

http://itsh.bo/1AvU3eG

HBO official highlights

efb wrote: »
    The stoppage came out of the blue though
    In the 7th if I remember correct?He gave a good crack at it to be fair,but I don't think he was ready for it,he was outclassed on the night. Stamina was an achilles heel of Andy's,but himself and his team seem to have ironed that out.He deserved tonight.

Yep. The stoppage was a bit premature in my book, set him back Abit- he was ahead on judges scorecards

5 1/2 years later- world champion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Isn't there a sports forum somewhere? =======>

Hope you're not suggesting boxing is completely corrupt and uses the same script writers as X Factor?

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah,tell us who he is.

Nuff said.

Nuff said.

Don't know how you can take it seriously when you obviously know it's rigged?
    As a rival for WWF and Buster the Bone Breaker or whatever they're called it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Very likable guy, delighted for him. I thought his chance had passed him by. He didn't really deserve this shot but took it with both hands. Hope he can hold onto it for while and get a few good pay days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't know how you can take it seriously when you obviously know it's rigged?
    As a rival for WWF and Buster the Bone Breaker or whatever they're called it's fine.

Well aren't you depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Well done Andy, another of Limericks greatest sons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to him and good news that Ireland has another world champion, but I'll be honest, never heard of him.

Having said that, I gave up following boxing a long time ago.
    But having said that, no mention of it on the Independents website

http://www.independent.ie/sport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Well done Andy-his grit paid off.Special shout out to Billy Walsh too-great man to have in your corner.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fair play to him and good news that Ireland has another world champion, but I'll be honest, never heard of him.

Having said that, I gave up following boxing a long time ago.
    But having said that, no mention of it on the Independents website

http://www.independent.ie/sport/
    The fight was at 4am

Didn't hear about this fight in the news at all yesterday. Would have stayed up to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't hear about this fight in the news at all yesterday. Would have stayed up to watch.

Very very little coverage given to it by the Irish media which is bloody disgraceful. You'd have to be a pretty solid Boxing fan to know he was fighting last night tbh. I hope the same thing doesn't happen when young Quigley is going for straps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Very very little coverage given to it by the Irish media which is bloody disgraceful. You'd have to be a pretty solid Boxing fan to know he was fighting last night tbh. I hope the same thing doesn't happen when young Quigley is going for straps.

Not really! Anyone who reads the sports section in the tabloids should have seen it!

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bandwagon : Activate!

I LOL'd for over a minute :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So is he Smackdown Champion or Raw Champion?

Raw pure War

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How many wickets did he win by?

Raining down the punches stopped play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Didn't even know he was fighting last night.

Just saw the highlights on Youtube. It was a sweet punch with his weaker hand that did the damage. The ref stopped it fairly quickly but I think the other guy was out on his feet.

Well done Andy Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Winning the same belt Steve Collins did 20 years previously....hope it's not another 20 years before we have a middleweight champ

Winning the same belt Steve Collins did 20 years previously....hope it's not another 20 years before we have a middleweight champ

Was Stevens not Super Middle?

He did also win middle- apologies

Its worth noting that Andy is not from Limerick, he is from English traveller stock,came to limerick as a child.

Try tell Andy that. He considers Castleconnell, Limerick to be his home and is proud of that. He was born in England but to Irish parents who, as you say, moved back to Limerick when he was young. Lee is a big Castleconnell name.

When he won last night, he finished his interview by saying - "up the Irish, get in!"

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Try tell Andy that. He considers Castleconnell, Limerick to be his home and is proud of that. He was born in England but to Irish parents who, as you say, moved back to Limerick when he was young. Lee is a big Castleconnell name.

When he won last night, he finished his interview by saying - "up the Irish, get in!"
    I always thought there was some English traveller blood in him,I'd know some of his distant relatives. They would all be settled travellers of mixed Irish/english parentage.Also funnily enough,second to Boswell, Lee is the most popular surname amongst english traveller clans.Regardless,he really deserved it.One of the nicest personalities in boxing
    Edit: Smyth and cooper are also very popular so i may have got the order wrong, but Lee would definitely be in the first 4

• Advertisement

Coverage here of Andy's homecoming and interviews at Shannon and Limerick city:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2014/1217/667474-video-andy-lee-on-surreal-return-to-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

WBO though ?

there are so many belts now, that being world champion has lost its prestige ...sure even Frank Bruno was world champ at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Great that there is an Irish world champ. I love that he is so proud of his home town. A title fight in Thomond Park would be great for the city if they manage to pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

You would be hard put to find harder working or nicer gents than either of them. I met Collins once when he was Champ and he was such a down to earth type you had to remind yourself what he had achieved. Andy is all smiles, goodwill and joviality but just watch his eyes when a serious boxing question comes up and you see the fighter. Sheer class and I can't understand the begrudgers - they must live in a small and disappointing world. I have never boxed myself but one of my sons has. I know sport and I know hard work. The sheer amount of effort and sweat just to get to county level is savage and to get where Andy is, well that must be superhuman

Great that there is an Irish world champ. I love that he is so proud of his home town. A title fight in Thomond Park would be great for the city if they manage to pull it off.

Can't see it happening unfortunately, i reckon he'll have to defend the title within 3 or 4 months so outdoor wouldnt be ideal.
    Hes not getting any younger and needs to chase big purses.I wouldn't doubt that he is capable of selling out the o2 in Dublin,but the inec in Killarney on paddy's weekend would be sweet

Do ya reckon?, I would have thought his next fight would be summer at the earliest.

Do ya reckon?, I would have thought his next fight would be summer at the earliest.

Nah man,he'll be back in the ring by march/april at the latest, as I said Andy ain't getting any younger and needs the moolah.His profile is right up there now because of the belt,and himself and his team will make hay while the sun shines. When you ditch the vest and start fighing for pay its a whole different ballgame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

WBO though ?

I agree....none of them are a real champ until they unify the bels.
    Only Vlad in the Heavyweight division can really be considered the true World Heavyweight champ (he wouldn't fight his brother for the other one...understandably.....but now says he want to fight the guy who has it)

Anyways, congrats Andy Lee.

Lads, I've deleted a few off topic posts.

Thanks

Andy wants the fight in Limerick, not somewhere else in Ireland. Thomond Park would be incredible but is obviously awkward to schedule with the weather. He's fought in UL before but that really wouldnt be appropriate for a world champ. Not sure what other venues in Limerick would work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement