Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee World Champion

• 14-12-2014 5:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭

Congrats Andy, Ledge!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why wasnt there more coverage of this fight?! Never knew a thing about it but if hee-haw was fighting the whole country would be talking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It was on BoxNation- I suppose cod he was the underdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm also amazed about how little there has been in the irish media about this fight. I remember 20 years ago when the last irish middleweight to win a world title, Steve Collins, boxed, the hype before hand was enormous and the country came to a standstill for his fights. I woke this morning to google the result, amazingly there was nothing on the irish version of google news taken from irish media sources, but there was on the UK version from the British edition of the Star.

We should be proud of Andy, great boxer and a great guy, he works hard and fights hard. I hope he gets a few big fights, comes out the other end still on top and sets himself up financially for life. He deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Lets have a world championship fight in Thomond Park and give Andy Lee the welcome home he deserves. Unfortunately, he dips under the press' radar because he isn't a controversial or loudmouthed attention seeker, just a Munster lad done good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Well done Andy Lee, fair play to him, whatever about the media coverage, fair play to him for becoming World Champion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

davo10 wrote: »
    I'm also amazed about how little there has been in the irish media about this fight. I remember 20 years ago when the last irish middleweight to win a world title, Steve Collins, boxed, the hype before hand was enormous and the country came to a standstill for his fights. I woke this morning to google the result, amazingly there was nothing on the irish version of google news taken from irish media sources, but there was on the UK version from the British edition of the Star.

We should be proud of Andy, great boxer and a great guy, he works hard and fights hard. I hope he gets a few big fights, comes out the other end still on top and sets himself up financially for life. He deserves it.

The Collins fight was on Sky Sports only and was part of a huge Sky hype machine which was Chris Eubank, it also helped that the fight was in Milstreet just after the Eurovision :)

Boxing world wide is down massively, UFC could legitimately be said to be replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This was on box nation. The purses in MMA don't come close to those in boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Clareman wrote: »
    The Collins fight was on Sky Sports only and was part of a huge Sky hype machine which was Chris Eubank, it also helped that the fight was in Milstreet just after the Eurovision :)

Boxing world wide is down massively, UFC could legitimately be said to be replacing it.

I understand that, but Katie Taylor gets constant press coverage and rightly so, Andy was fighting for the world championship, the first irish holder of the belt for 20 years so they don't come around very often, I saw nothing in the papers or on the news over the last couple of days. And I think that is a shame, there are not that many things that we are the best in the world at, now we have a middleweight boxer, good on him.

efb wrote: »
    This was on box nation. The purses in MMA don't come close to those in boxing

There's a class action case coming around cause of the UFC purse thing article

I think it's a shame that there wasn't more hype over his fight, personally I would have watched it if I knew it was on, with social media and the over saturation of news now I'm amazed there wasn't more made of it.

Hopefully now he'll get a couple of defenses and then a big pay day at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Fair play to him. well deserved

The Indo's report says "Victory also means he is the first member of the travelling community to win a world strap."
    Is that the case?
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/world-champion-andy-lee-i-want-to-defend-my-title-in-ireland-30834295.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Should have a civic reception for him like they had when Carl Frampton won a world title in Belfast last September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

First Irishman since 1937 to win a world title fight in America.

Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's so well deserved. He had been all but written off a few years ago, so to make his way back to the top is astounding and fantastic.

Also, the guy has been one of the more articulate and intelligent voices when speaking about Limerick in recent years, and who doesn't buy into the tired narrative about the city. Hats off to the guy, he's a true gentleman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it not English with the accent?How long living in limerick
    Fair play a world champion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bigpink wrote: »
    Is it not English with the accent?How long living in limerick
    Fair play a world champion

His family are from here and they moved back from London when he was quite young, 9 or 10 I think. He took up boxing in Limerick and broke through as a teenager when fighting at underage level for Ireland, and representing St. Francis' Boxing Club which is in the heart of Limerick City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

He's limerick so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

bigpink wrote: »
    He's limerick so

he used to live out in castleconnell, i used to meet him and his brother out in ul, andy used to use the running track a little also he used to spar quite a lot in the left hand corner of it, they were nice kids, they would chat away with me when ever we met, thats a long time ago, he should have got gold in athens, but he went in with his head all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tyson Fury is his cousin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Apparently he's arriving into Shannon on Wednesday and there will be a civic reception in town also apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Faing wrote: »
    Lets have a world championship fight in Thomond Park and give Andy Lee the welcome home he deserves. Unfortunately, he dips under the press' radar because he isn't a controversial or loudmouthed attention seeker, just a Munster lad done good.

Andy is a Limerick man, no such place as Munster..;)

Delighted for him,genuine nice guy.
    Juat goes to show that nice guys don't always finish second.
    Coverage pre-fight was an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Apparently he's arriving into Shannon on Wednesday and there will be a civic reception in town also apparently

Yeah there is a reception for him at City Hall. Not sure what time. I think around 5.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

killwill wrote: »
    Yeah there is a reception for him at City Hall. Not sure what time. I think around 5.30

Can anyone go to this, like is it a homecoming kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

buyer95 wrote: »
    Can anyone go to this, like is it a homecoming kind of thing.

Ya its a homecoming.
    St. Francis Boxing Club have cancelled their Wednesday training to ensure all club members go to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Think the reception starts at about 4:30 and Andy will be on stage at around 5:30. There will be a questions and answers session etc. I'll be popping over to this at about 5:30 to give him my support. This is a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

magma69 wrote: »
    Think the reception starts at about 4:30 and Andy will be on stage at around 5:30. There will be a questions and answers session etc. I'll be popping over to this at about 5:30 to give him my support. This is a fantastic achievement.

Delighted for him. Came across him at various times around the city and he's always been a gent. Hope he gets a few big paydays out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Fair play to him, he's a breath of fresh air. Whenever I hear him talk I hear a well spoken, down to earth young man, who's content to let his ability do the talking unlike that aforementioned loudmouth Steve Collins who I could never warm to, World Champion or not.

A good Limerick story to end the year with.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

Delighted for Andy... Always came across as a very decent guy...hope he gets a big fight in his hometown...talk of a fight with Billy Joe Saunders, the guy who beat Eubank Jnr a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Luckydog69 wrote: »
    Delighted for Andy... Always came across as a very decent guy...hope he gets a big fight in his hometown...talk of a fight with Billy Joe Saunders, the guy who beat Eubank Jnr a couple of weeks ago.

Well Billy Joe is the mandatory challenger AFAIK so here's hoping the fight takes place in Ireland at least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Delighted for him. A very humble guy who has been slogging away and then pulls this off! Castleconnell on the map. We are all very proud of him.

A really nice interview with him on the Irishman Abroad podcast online.

Advertisement