Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee World Champion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Fair play to him, he's a breath of fresh air. Whenever I hear him talk I hear a well spoken, down to earth young man, who's content to let his ability do the talking unlike that aforementioned loudmouth Steve Collins who I could never warm to, World Champion or not.

A good Limerick story to end the year with.
    Great post!! Andy does all of his talking in the ring, where it matters, an anomaly in the world of pro boxing these days. So happy for him that his hard work and dedication paid off, a true champ and an inspiration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

He's being interviewed now on newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Nothing says serious cool, classy guy than being a gent outside the ring and doing the job in the ring.

A great ambassador.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Surprised he wasn't on the Late Late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Surprised he wasn't on the Late Late

He would have the join the continuous queue of rugby players to get on that show..;)
    Anyway, an appearance from Andy may effect Christmas sales of Tommy Boooooooow's designer collection of menswear...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

washman3 wrote: »
    He would have the join the continuous queue of rugby players to get on that show..;)
    Anyway, an appearance from Andy may effect Christmas sales of Tommy Boooooooow's designer collection of menswear...:D

Talking of rugby players and the like,im just back from the fight in Vegas,thought id see Limerick leader and 95fm at weigh in,no sign,if it was the ruggers len dineen would be all over them,super achievement by a super guy and Limerick has a world champion,nuff said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Talking of rugby players and the like,im just back from the fight in Vegas,thought id see Limerick leader and 95fm at weigh in,no sign,if it was the ruggers len dineen would be all over them,super achievement by a super guy and Limerick has a world champion,nuff said.

It was in Las Vegas, not Cardiff. Small regional papers don't send reporters half way around the world. They devoted the full front page to Andy the Monday after fight and covered the homecoming extensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There is no way Live 95 would pay a reporter to go to Vegas. Did RTE?

But as the expression goes: "you're nothing without cauliflower ears in this town"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

seachto7 wrote: »
    But as the expression goes: "you're nothing without cauliflower ears in this town"

Very true. I doubt we'll see any pictures of Andy Lee adorning the walls of city pubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Vanquished wrote: »
    Very true. I doubt we'll see any pictures of Andy Lee adorning the walls of city pubs!

There is a picture of him hanging on the wall in O'Dwyers pub, a well known rugby haunt, and it has been there a while.

This time the boxer is a World Champ...it will be interesting to see how this will be recognised by all and sundry, we haven't had one of them before.

We couldn't have asked for a better role model/champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

He's deserving of far greater recognition in his home town. He's had an international profile for some time now!

Hopefully his achievements will begin to be appreciated at this stage!

Vanquished wrote: »
    He's deserving of far greater recognition in his home town. He's had an international profile for some time now!

Hopefully his achievements will begin to be appreciated at this stage!

???? He's had plenty of recognition locally. As someone who's not into boxing I only know of him due to all the attention he's had in local media over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Not sure if it warrants a new thread as it's not certain but it's being widely reported that Andy Lee will fight Billy Joe Saunders I Thomond Park in September.
    Hope his team stand firm on this now and are not convinced to have it in England, it seems to make sense to have it here.
    Great bloke and the inevitable sell out will be a proper tribute to what he has done for Limerick. Pity the other guy is so good:(

Who said BJS was good,fight more than likely in London with upton park and the excel arena being mentioned as probable venues,sky will have the final say and that will probably mean London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Who said BJS was good,fight more than likely in London with upton park and the excel arena being mentioned as probable venues,sky will have the final say and that will probably mean London.

Sorry, I'm not a big fight fan any more, I was only going on what I read this morning:o

You could be right about London but I hope not, does Lee have any aces to play to bring it to Limerick?

Just seen on boxing website that fight is to be held in Thomand pk september 19th,super news.

Newstalk just said they contacted Thomond Park who say it's untrue and they have no idea where this story came from.

EDIT. Frank Warren has debunked it too. Says talks are still on going. No date or venue decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/andy-lee-to-make-first-world-title-defence-at-thomond-park/22590

ANDY LEE TO MAKE FIRST WORLD TITLE DEFENCE AT THOMOND PARK

Saturday 20 June 2015

It's been confirmed that Andy Lee's first world title defence will take place at Thomond Park.
    The Limerick fighter will take on England's Billy Joe Saunders at the venue on September 19th.
    Andy Lee confirmed the news of the date and venue of the fight on his twitter account earlier.
    Speaking exclusively to Limerick's Live 95fm the champion admitted it's a dream come true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How to get tics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

zweton wrote: »
    How to get tics ?

Details yet to be announced but I'd imagine there will be no problem getting tickets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

zweton wrote: »
    How to get tics ?

I think Thomond Park is affiliated with Ticketmaster so you'll be able to get tickets through their normal outlets, maybe even in TP itself.

I wouldn't imagine there will be much trouble getting tickets though, Munster couldn't sell the place out for a Pro12 semi final and there'll be more tickets available for a boxing match.

All hotels nearby nearly all sold out,looking like this will be super night for everybody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

All hotels nearby nearly all sold out,looking like this will be super night for everybody.

Great news, boxing is a great sport and Limerick is a great sporting city so hopefully it'll all come together for a great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

why not re-schedule in limerick... whats about the "fans" ???? why wasnt katie taylor fight accomadated..... money people havin their say

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

betonit wrote: »
    why not re-schedule in limerick... whats about the "fans" ???? why wasnt katie taylor fight accomadated..... money people havin their say
    Katie Taylor is irrelevant to this.

I feel for the fans who bought tickets but the rumours are about 8-11k tickets were sold. Theres no doubt this has been moved due to poor ticket sales. Its bad for Limerick and I doubt at this stage of his career Lee will fight in Thomond again.

Its just typical Irish sports fans, all event junkies and bandwagoners. If this was being hyped by Sky it would have sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I didn't think the pricing structure was great to be honest. Back of the stand was €60. I spent a season at the back of that stand watching rugby and for €60 it's pretty far away from the action and not great value.

I always thought Thomond Park was a big stretch for the fight. I think they were going to be accommodating 30,000 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone know how do we go about getting tickets refunded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

betonit wrote: »

Only 5000 tickets had been sold.

Advertisement