Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee World Champion

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

callaway92 wrote: »
    Only 5000 tickets had been sold.

Thats BS. Frank Warren said that 12,500 tickets had been sold and they were confident they would have gotten close to capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

12,500 isn't great when you consider the capacity was going to be around the 30,000 mark. I'd imagine most the tickets sold so far were the cheaper tickets also. That would mean they would have to hope people are willing to cough up big money late to get a ticket which probably wouldn't happen.

Boxing has a decent following but would it have enough of a following to get 30,000 people in the gate at the prices they were charging? The answer seems to be a resounding no. If more tickets were available at the low price bracket they would have had a better chance im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think it would have more or less sold out on the night. Limerick people tend to get behind this kind of big event. I and a load of my friends planned on going. We just hadn't got round to getting the tickets. One of my friends had a bus load coming from Dublin as well. I wonder was the plug pulled prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

zulutango wrote: »
    I think it would have more or less sold out on the night. Limerick people tend to get behind this kind of big event. I and a load of my friends planned on going. We just hadn't got round to getting the tickets. One of my friends had a bus load coming from Dublin as well. I wonder was the plug pulled prematurely.
    Most sources now indicating around 7k approx tickets were sold. Its in the Star today and online, Warrens figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

If only 7k was sold, no way 30k would be there on the night. Its understandable the plug was pulled on this. The Bandwagon fans only really care when its on Sky Sports or RTE, there was no buzz for this fight outside boxing fans and it was promoted poorly. Andy Lees fanbase was vastly exaggerated, an arena of 12-15k was probably a more appropriate venue.

It was definitely promoted poorly, but I'd guess that it would have been full alright. It would have been 'the event' to go to in Limerick that weekend, and the vast majority attending would not have been boxing fans, i.e. people like me and my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

It's a fight, most people I know might watch a fight on free TV, PPV no chance. The wife and her friends had no interest and all these events need a cross gender mix to fill the stadium, paying through the nose to go to see a few lads box the skulls off each other at Thomond Park in September holds no gra.

Kenny B wrote: »
    It's a fight, most people I know might watch a fight on free TV, PPV no chance. The wife and her friends had no interest and all these events need a cross gender mix to fill the stadium, paying through the nose to go to see a few lads box the skulls off each other at Thomond Park in September holds no gra.

You're not based in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thats BS. Frank Warren said that 12,500 tickets had been sold and they were confident they would have gotten close to capacity.

lol. Frank Warren is the promoter. Of course he's going to say that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

callaway92 wrote: »
    lol. Frank Warren is the promoter. Of course he's going to say that.

He's removing the fight from Limerick. Why would he lie about the sales figures? If anything he'd use only 5000 tickets being sold as a reason for the fight being moved. He said 4000 were sold in the UK alone and the rest in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He's removing the fight from Limerick. Why would he lie about the sales figures? If anything he'd use only 5000 tickets being sold as a reason for the fight being moved. He said 4000 were sold in the UK alone and the rest in Ireland.

He would never admit the sales were as bad as it has been revealed. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

zulutango wrote: »
    You're not based in Limerick?

Caherdavin Kiid,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

Jofspring wrote: »
    Back of the stand was €60.

talk about riding your own....back fired though F em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

email from Ticketmaster saying we will be refunded in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

talking to another venue "why not host our event? we only sold 5000 tickets in the home town of this lad?"

Yea of course he would have no reason to lie :rolleyes:

Advertisement