Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a coffee bean grinder?

• 14-12-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. Have been given some coffee beans but I don't have a grinder. I have an attachment that goes onto my blender base, does the same job, but in a smaller space, kinda like the smaller bit here........
    15gf0wg.jpg

I'm guessing that will do just as good a job as a standard bean grinder??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

What you have there, and what you describe as a 'standard bean grinder' is a blade grinder. These are blade grinders, chopping the beans as they whirr round. The grinders you will see recommended here and other serious coffee sites are burr grinders, they crush beans between two burrs.

Blade grinders have many faults for coffee grinding:

1. They do not grind consistently, producing very large and very small bits at the same time.

2. You can't choose to what coarseness you want to grind.

(3. They also heat up the coffee a lot)

These facts basically mean that it's very hard to make good coffee using those types of grinders.

Burr grinders are more expensive, starting from 30 euro for a hand-grinder or 100+ for electric, up to the many thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

If you're not into your coffee or buy/grind beans regularly, obviously there's no point buying a grinder, especially a burr grinder. Jezek is totally right on every point, but it also depends what style of coffee you're making.

Your grinder attachment will create OK'ish grounds for espresso if you have an espresso machine or stovetop espresso pot. But the same problems persist (inconsistent ground size, etc.). But the espresso won't be great.

The best these grinders can really do is coarse grind for cafetiere or drip filter coffee. To get an idea of how coarse/fine to grind for this method, just visit www.brewmethods.com The taste will also depend on the quality, type and roast of the beans themselves, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

How about this little beauty who I spent some time with yesterday?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I have to say, I'm yet to be convinced that a burr grinder could deliver a tastier coffee than what I manage to get out of my Aeropress using a blade grinder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Conba wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm yet to be convinced that a burr grinder could deliver a tastier coffee than what I manage to get out of my Aeropress using a blade grinder.

Then you should sample a coffee from someone that knows what they're doing. There's no comparison really. A whirly blade grinder smashes the beans to no consistent format heating the bejaysus out of them and drying any of the nice oils out of them in the process. A decent burr grinder grinds to as even a grind as is possible without anywhere near the same level of heat. There's a reason that every coffee aficionado will tell you the grinder is the most important part of any kit... Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Near Limerick. I'm prepared eat my hat on it at some stage... but Santa can't afford a new grinder this year. If I can get even more taste out of this Aeropress then it really is the only way to make coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

How about this little beauty who I spent some time with yesterday?? :D:D

Is that not a roaster? Looks interesting anyway. Like an M3 on steroids. I presume it's some sort of sample roaster?

Advertisement