Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa card details on site- not accepted

Options
  • 14-12-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I used visa card to pay for on line purchase yesterday 1500. I got a message back from website saying credit card not accepted. I had put in all correct detail I was sure. That was grand I left it at that .... as item was not purchased I had second thoughts Anyway ...was going to browse later as I had to go out at about that time anyway. While out and about I got a confirmation email purchase a checked went through. I didnt give my express consent for this authorisation as the website declined details initially ( which suited me as it happens) how do I stand now?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I used visa card to pay for on line purchase yesterday 1500. I got a message back from website saying credit card not accepted. I had put in all correct detail I was sure. That was grand I left it at that .... as item was not purchased I had second thoughts Anyway ...was going to browse later as I had to go out at about that time anyway. While out and about I got a confirmation email purchase a checked went through. I didnt give my express consent for this authorisation as the website declined details initially ( which suited me as it happens) how do I stand now?.

What does the T&C of this website say, many allow orders to be cancelled.

Perhaps they were trying to be helpfully when they pushed it through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

What does the T&C of this website say, many allow orders to be cancelled.

Perhaps they were trying to be helpfully when they pushed it through?

Your probably correct as regards being helpful. As I say I am looking at it from a technical point of view. It suits me if the regulations state that the merchant must have explicit consent of purchaser - it may have indeed been a mix up I did intend to buy what I tried to buy - on reflection I would prefer something else.
    If this can be used as a :get out of jail" card I want to use it. Will check t&c of credit card company shortly thks...The other side of the coin is I will lose all the 1500 if I was to pull out - no loss for merchant - thks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you bought from an EU retailer there is a 7 day cooling off period for most purchases so unless it was travel related you don't need any excuse.

As to the transaction going through. Usually when you enter the CC details and get rejected you've tried to complete the transaction, sometimes CC companies flag transactions and they get processed later.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you bought from an EU retailer there is a 7 day cooling off period for most purchases so unless it was travel related you don't need any excuse.

As to the transaction going through. Usually when you enter the CC details and get rejected you've tried to complete the transaction, sometimes CC companies flag transactions and they get processed later.

Thks for reply it was holiday im suckered so. I got a message from website stating error in card details - not accepted.
    I cannot believe that despite the clear inference your payment was not accepted- they can just come along without your consent and take funds.
    Surely they should request re authorisation - outrageous. Thks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thks for reply it was holiday im suckered so. I got a message from website stating error in card details - not accepted.
    I cannot believe that despite the clear inference your payment was not accepted- they can just come along without your consent and take funds.
    Surely they should request re authorisation - outrageous. Thks for reply

Do you have a screenshot and/or email or the "error", if this this might give you a "get out of jail" card, you could argue based on the rejected, that you made other arrangements.

Also enquire of your card issue exact when the transaction was authorised, if it was authorised some time after the "error", you have more grounds to dispute it.

But it might be the case that your card issue approved the transaction at the time, and their website got "confused".

• Advertisement

Ya your right Gerard these things may have happened. That's the question I have been asked by both holiday company and visa. (Screen shot) Basically I wouldn't have even have bothered even if I had thought of it (photo it) , because what came up was - credit card details incorrect - or something similar. Even though I was full sure I carfully put in all the correct digits , I was delighted that I must have made an error because at that particular time I was regretting having bought the holiday ( the missus told me it would be raining season she had just come in the door - I actually said to her - it's too late I am awaiting confirmation now) I couldn't believe it when it came back showing that error message. Rejected - no card details taken - no holiday paid for- my real problem now is where did that message come from? How am I going to get my hands in a copy of it to prove that the fact it came up at the end of my transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I got an order confirmation for a purchase last weekend but the transaction had actually been declined (bank flagged it for fraud prevention) - it was a few days before I got a cancellation of the purchase since they didn't actually get the funds.

Advertisement