Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of changing home pc, windows8 query?

Options
  • 14-12-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,
    i have an ageing dell desktop, with a large display and speaker setup in the house, running windows 7 64 bit, with full office 2010 on there also.
    i'm thinking of changing to a new all in one from dell, which has windows 8 os.
    it looks like a good machine and deal at present. but i'm just wondering about windows 8, and will i have to but a new office suite?
    i generally use google chrome, and google drive and dropbox so far. and it suits me for what i do. but will windows 8 run these ok? or will i have to start using the windows cloud?
    these might seem like stupid questions to some on here, but after moving to the cloud for some storage and also choosing android phone, and happy with that, i'm just checking that the likes of this purchase, which is more heart that mind at present, won;t snowball into more changes or problems with connectivity etc.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Should be fine. Those all-in-one pcs are a bit weak tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

How Do you mean, weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

I would check to see if your software that you use daily is compatible with W8.
    For example: Autocad has issues with W8 and it is difficult to install on some W8 OS's.
    If your just browsing the net and using windows office then it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

srsly78 wrote: »
    Should be fine. Those all-in-one pcs are a bit weak tho.
    +1 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

everything should work fine with W8 but if you don't like the Metro look you can use something like Classic Start Menu which makes it look more like W7

• Advertisement

thanks for the posts, but what is this 'weakness' being mentioned?
    surely the specs are the specs, or is that naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They have weak specs and you can't really upgrade them.

Ok, well the one I'm looking at is more than enough for what I want, and I haven't upgraded my last one internally anyway, just peripherals, so that should be ok, I hope!
    I thought it might have been a more fundamental problem you were questioning, thanks though, I hadn't thought of that!

Advertisement