Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanitation of kids stories

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

This article from today's 'i' newspaper talks about the same thing, though slightly more focused on children's animation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/any-child-knows-that-cartoon-violence-isnt-real-9931736.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

cashback wrote: »
    This article from today's 'i' newspaper talks about the same thing, though slightly more focused on children's animation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/any-child-knows-that-cartoon-violence-isnt-real-9931736.html

Can the likes of this really be bad for kids? I honestly don't think so.

Wile_E__Coyote_and_Road_Runner_by_xxgdogg17xx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pwurple wrote: »

The old noddy ones are very un-pc though. Golliwogs from the wrong part of town and the rest. Can't bring myself to read those without skipping those bits.

Why would it affect how you enjoy them? I dont really get the Anti-golliwog movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

syklops wrote: »
    Why would it affect how you enjoy them? I dont really get the Anti-golliwog movement.

Well, the golliwog is a parody of black people, and they are being portrayed as universally stupid in the books. You know, generic racism really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well, the golliwog is a parody of black people, and they are being portrayed as universally stupid in the books. You know, generic racism really.

Although every protagonist is somewhat stupid (in the innocent sense). Hence the teaching of children how not to be stupid.
    The golliwog is a contentious one though..

I think in case society ever does break down we need to have our kids awake to the fact that theres nice people who will help... but not nice people if the law of land breaks down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I still have an old Enid Blyton book around the place somewhere called 'The Three Golliwogs'. It starts off with

There once was three Golliwogs called Golly, Woggy and N****r.

That kind of sanitation I can handle. Alot of the English stories from the early parts of the 20th century are hoplessly racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I was cringing reading Narnia to my kids- it's so racist! The evil brown Calormenes, with their strange customs and false gods!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I was cringing reading Narnia to my kids- it's so racist! The evil brown Calormenes, with their strange customs and false gods!
    Well Narnia is a thinly veiled religious text anyway (the execution and the ressurection, the creation, the evil one etc etc). Wonderful stories for a child though I don't recall the racism in them. I was looking forward to reading them to the little lad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I still have an old Enid Blyton book around the place somewhere called 'The Three Golliwogs'. It starts off with

There once was three Golliwogs called Golly, Woggy and N****r.

That kind of sanitation I can handle. Alot of the English stories from the early parts of the 20th century are hoplessly racist
    I agree. I think editing of this sort of thing is ok, because it's just racism for the sake of racism. I don't agree with the editing of Huckleberry Finn, though, because the point of using the word "******" was to show how racist that society was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well Narnia is a thinly veiled religious text anyway (the execution and the ressurection, the creation, the evil one etc etc). Wonderful stories for a child though I don't recall the racism in them. I was looking forward to reading them to the little lad :(

We still read them to them and they enjoyed them. Hopefully the subtext went over their heads. I certainly didn't pick up on that when I read them as a kid.

I read some of CS Lewis' philosophical and theological stuff at college. It was just a different world, without much notion of multiculturalism or tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I think kids generally have a higher tolerance for this kind of thing. My sister used to watch this cartoon Grizzly Tales For Gruesome Kids and some of the stuff was quite freaky. In these cartoons various little girls and boys have got sucked into a vacuum cleaner, died in the blades of a lawnmower, got run over by a steamroller, got squashed into a bottle, turned into a stone gargoyle and more. Not a bother on her.

And I rememer in Roald Dahls The Witches a child was sucked into a painting. The rest of the family could see her in the painting getting older. Witches take special pleasure in transforming children into animals that adults will kill and then eat, apparently, such as a pheasant or mackerel. Didn't mind when I was 8. I'd probably freak out more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think a lot of the Grimm brothers one were self-censored to make them suitable for children. Sleeping beauty was pretty full on originally. I read the old version where the prince couldn't wake her from the sleep... So he rapes her. She gives birth to twins, still unconscious, and one of them sucks on her fingers instead of her breasts, sucking the poison out and waking her. She then decides to cook the babies and serve them to him (or something like that, memory is hazy!).

They were aimed at entertaining adults rather than children. Don't think I'll be introducing my children to that version for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I think a lot of the Grimm brothers one were self-censored to make them suitable for children. Sleeping beauty was pretty full on originally. I read the old version where the prince couldn't wake her from the sleep... So he rapes her. She gives birth to twins, still unconscious, and one of them sucks on her fingers instead of her breasts, sucking the poison out and waking her. She then decides to cook the babies and serve them to him (or something like that, memory is hazy!).

They were aimed at entertaining adults rather than children. Don't think I'll be introducing my children to that version for a while!

Omg!!!

Advertisement