Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice for 600d lenses.

• 14-12-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hey! I'm looking for some advice on what would be a good walk around lens for a Canon 600d.. I have the standard kit lens 18-55mm. I also have a 50mm f1.4 and a 17-85mm Is USM. I'm hoping to sell to these two lenses to fund a decent walk around lens but an wondering what the best recommendation would be.. It doesnt have to be a Canon lens but something solid enough with a good range between 17 to 150mm with Image stabilisation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

You have to ask what am I going to be shooting, is it street scenes, sports, landscapes or family photos. It also depends on your budget as well.

I've had a 600D, now use a 70D and I am currently use the following lens.

As I do a fair mix of what I mentioned above, I use a Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II I use it as my walk about and indoors lens, a great all rounder especially for low light shots.

For landscapes and group shots I have a Tamron SP AF10-24mm F/3.5-4.5, really like using this one.

For sports, wildlife and other long distance stuff, I use a Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L USM IS. I now have a massively over developed left bicep, having lugged this beast about for over 10 years, but well worth :)

Canon 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 EF-S IS, a great work horse and should never be given away. I have my original one from years back and still use it from time to time.

It has taken me over 10 years to get this collection together and along the way I also had a Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO, great lens really enjoyed using it for Macro and even Portrait work.

Canon 50mm 1.4, great lens, but a bit restricted on a crop sensor especially if you were shooting in small spaces.

If you want one lens to cover a much a possible you could buy a Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO, which I believe are getting good reviews.

My recommendation would be to also keep a look out for a Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM f/3.5-5.6 IS, not usually sold separately, but can be occasionally found when split from a kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

you need to tell us what you will be using it for. I have 600D and for portraits i use cheap 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 and for landscape 17-40mm f/4.0 and Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Advertisement