Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best cheapest network

Options
  • 14-12-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi I want to pay 20euro a month max.
    Who offers the most for that?
    I was looking at 3.
    seem to be good,
    but not sure how much they charge for calls texts to other networks.
    previously with meteor~(ok) and 48 (very basic).

both phones are 3g enabled and possibly upgrading to 4g phone next year.
    thanks
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

tesco. €15 per month. unlimited calls and texts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Just with 48 ate they not essentially the same as Tesco?
    Can't call 1850/1890 numbers without extra credit, no 3g at all.
    Very basic service.
    3 for twenty bucks offer 4g for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

if you top up with 20 euros per month three do free calls to all three numbers, unlimited internet and texts (to all networks) and free all network calls on weekends. And you keep your 20 euros in credit for phone calls to other network etc. Sim card is free
    It's the best deal out there I think!
    http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

If you do not use your phone as a computer. ( basic data usage: apps, web pages, maps etc) I find emobile great.

( cannot post link )

I am on the Thirty20 plan. Never go over, so always have the free credit in my account. Means every 3 months this free 20 euro in credit gives me a free month!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Pataman wrote: »
    tesco. €15 per month. unlimited calls and texts

Unlimited calls for €15 a month (capped at 10,000 minutes).
    + free tesco to tesco calls & texts.
    But you do still have your original €15 to spend on add-ons, eg €10 for 5Gb of Data or €10 for unlimited Texts (not totally unlimited but capped at 5,000 texts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Just with 48 ate they not essentially the same as Tesco?
    Can't call 1850/1890 numbers without extra credit, no 3g at all.
    Very basic service.
    3 for twenty bucks offer 4g for free.
    Presumably 48 have no 3G coverage in your area. Would Tesco and 3 have 3G coverage?
    http://www.saynoto1890.com/ is a pretty good site for finding regular numbers for those 1890 numbers.
    Afaik 48 use the O2 network (at least it used to, not sure what the current situation is wrt to the 3 takeover).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

The €10 all you can talk offer with Meteor looks good for people who don't text or use data

The problem with the Meteor offering (amongst others) is that your top-up is used for the Unlimited Talk.
    The beauty of Tesco's Deal is that your €15 gives you Unlimited Talk and you still have your €15 to spend...and it will carry over from month to month if you don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The problem with the Meteor offering (amongst others) is that your top-up is used for the Unlimited Talk.
    The beauty of Tesco's Deal is that your €15 gives you Unlimited Talk and you still have your €15 to spend...and it will carry over from month to month if you don't use it.

I'm not sure if its still on the go but Tesco also double your credit when you top up. I'm actually on the staff tarrif so they triple my credit, I top up €20 and they give me an extra €40. Usually lasts me 6-7 weeks and that's me being gun ho with calls and data. Uses O2 masts so coverage is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

Wow the 48 offers are pretty class. Going to move, unless people have anything bad to say about the network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

With Tesco Mobile - Can you top up by 15 euro at your local Super Valu Store?

It would be better value for my Dad that Vodafone PAYG

Apart from Tesco instore or Tesco online or online Banking sites, I believe you can purchase Top-up's at any shop with Payzone or Paypoint as well as Postpoint....check their individual sites for locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

I'm using tesco but I'm thinking of switching to another one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Use loads of data and texts = 3
    Use loads of calls and texts = Tesco or Meteor
    Want a premium signal provider = Vodafone or O2
    Want to be able to roam in the UK with data? = Three

Use loads of data and texts = 3
    Use loads of calls and texts = Tesco or Meteor
    Want a premium signal provider = Vodafone or O2
    Want to be able to roam in the UK with data? = Three

Tesco are on the O2 network, using exactly the same Masts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yeah. They are using the same network, so you can go with Tesco either.
    Doesn't make a difference, but the quality is as good. However, Tesco haven't got the same data speeds as O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Yeah. They are using the same network, so you can go with Tesco either.
    Doesn't make a difference, but the quality is as good. However, Tesco haven't got the same data speeds as O2.

Yes they do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

slegs wrote: »
    Yes they do

It was over a year ago, but moving from Tesco to O2 was night and day for me. Yes they are both using the same masts, but no their infrastructure is not the same to move your data from the mast to the website/service you are using.

My experience in terms of data performance with the largest networks:
    - Vodafone is the best by far
    - Meteor and O2 would be second (O2's network has better potential but is held back by the lack of 4G)
    - Tesco Mobile are coming last (inconsistent speed and masts saturation on Three's side, lack of 4g and core network congestion on Tesco's side)

Now because Vodafone has the best performance obviously doesn't mean they have the best value, so everyone will need to balance their expectations, how much they are ready to pay, and their data usage (caps on Vodafone are ridiculously low).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭seanin4711

seem to tick all boxes plus 4g

Advertisement