Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with temp variations this time of year...

Options
  • 14-12-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

This time of year I'm having quite some problems with the temperature varriation - I've a spot for the largers (utility) and a spot for the ales (top of fridge) but my larger spot can drop to 13c and ales spot can drop to 16c over night

I've got three differnt yeast going;
    > Workhorse - which by the name really doesnt seem to care too much
    > Bohemion Larger (packet 15c) - bubbles are slow
    > Belgium Ale (packet 23c) - bubbles are very slow

In the day temps go back up the house heats.

Should I be concerned, probably a retorical question - but how do other deal with this at this time of year without creating an elaborate heating set up.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You need to be consistently around 11-12 degrees for lagering. Anyone I know who does lager uses temperature control setups.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2014/01/24/brewing-the-perfect-lager-at-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Thanks... so I shouldn't be too concerned about it dropping to 13c then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah, you don't need to be bang on for lager, but it helps.
    you need to ferment in the low teens ad try lager about ten degrees colder

For the ale, wrap the fermenter in a blanket or two to help keep the temp steady.

the mass of water will stop much variation anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Thanks again to all - I've tried both;
    > the larger turned out really good and crisp so I'm going to conculde that low temps really don't bother it
    > the ale is a little harsh (still ok but not great) so the temp fluctation really didn't do it well... one to try again in the summer.

I know... pretty old news to the experts here but yet another learing for me... thanks again!

Advertisement