Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David De Gea - Best in the World?

• 14-12-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Another MOTM performance against Liverpool, 5 or 6 superb saves. Its scary to think where United would be this season without him. Is he the best GK in the business?

Surely the best in the league now, only Neuer is possibly ahead of him in the world, but not by much.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's going to be debates comparing him to Courtois and Neuer, but those three are easily in the top bracket, and I wouldn't sell De Gea for the world right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Courtois is far better than De Gea and that's just in England. Let's be real here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not yet. Probably at some stage over the next few years.

He's already in the top 10 regardless of what country you are from and probably in most peoples top 5.....and he's still so young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Top 3 for sure

/thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neuer > Everyone.

Maybe with a few seasons of these performances then yes.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

De Gea can only get better from here on in. He was absolutely brilliant today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neuer > Everyone.

Maybe with a few seasons of these performances then yes.

/thread

Beat Ya too it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

He keeps doing what he's doing he'll be a top 3 keeper. Without a doubt. As of now, no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Kirby wrote: »
    Not yet. Probably at some stage over the next few years.

He's already in the top 10 regardless of what country you are from and probably in most peoples top 5.....and he's still so young.

Top 5 in the world id say easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Neuer
    Courtois
    De Gea

In that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Courtois and Neuer are the obvious two. I think there's a bit of overreaction too, I think there are others whose form is just as good, if not better than that of De Gea's.

I'd probably have Lloris ahead of him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Now you are just being silly!

Not a chance, LLoris is a decent shot stopper but is overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Courtois is far better than De Gea and that's just in England. Let's be real here.

No he isn't.

There is very little between them.

Neuer is better then both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

De Gea is fantastic and seems to be consistently improving. However, Neuer is better. Anybody who thinks otherwise otherwise probably doesn't watch Bayern enough. He's been judged as being one of the top 3 players in the world over the past year, that doesn't happen much for goalkeepers.

I'd take Courtois over De Gea personally, but that's just a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

On what basis are people putting Courtois ahead of DDG? Two top keepers for sure, bear in mind though Courtois has had a settled defence in front of him all year, De Gea has had pretty much the opposite.

Johner wrote: »
    Not a chance, LLoris is a decent shot stopper but is overrated.

Just like De Gea to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

What impresses me most about de gea is his ability to hold onto shots, he never concedes pointless corners and rarely parries the ball back out for strikers running, his handling from shots really is sensational

ScummyMan wrote: »
    On what basis are people putting Courtois ahead of DDG? Two top keepers for sure, bear in mind though Courtois has had a settled defence in front of him all year, De Gea has had pretty much the opposite.

That just means you get to see De Gea's shot stopping in action more which people tend to get excited about, overall Courtois is a better goalie imo.
    Just like De Gea to me

De Gea has vastly improved the other areas of his game though.

• Advertisement

Courtois is every inch the shot-stopper that De Gea is, you just don't see it as much. Courtois has the most command of his box of any top keeper on the planet, he's got that special aura in 1 vs 1's, he's a proactive goalkeeper. Atletico had both keepers back to back, I'd have no doubt who they rated higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

As a united fan, I'd say no. He's not the best in the world..... yet. I'd say at the moment he is on par with Courtois, Neuer is definitely the best in the world imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I wouldn't have Courtois in the same bracket as Neuer. Courtois and DDG are pretty close in ability and Neuer out in front on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Courtois is every inch the shot-stopper that De Gea is, you just don't see it as much. Courtois has the most command of his box of any top keeper on the planet, he's got that special aura in 1 vs 1's, he's a proactive goalkeeper. Atletico had both keepers back to back, I'd have no doubt who they rated higher.
    Exaggerate much?

Two great keepers could argue either over the other for me, but I'd go DeGae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Moneymaker wrote: »
    No he isn't.

There is very little between them.

Both Neuer is better then both.

Who does the other Neuer play for ? :pac:

All joking aside, I'd say Neuer 1st, then De Gea and Courtois joint 2nd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just like De Gea to me

De Gea is going to be bumped up because of the recent game, but I'd have Lloris in ahead too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

madcabbage wrote: »
    He keeps doing what he's doing he'll be a top 3 keeper. Without a doubt. As of now, no

I would put Courtois and Neuer ahead of him (though not by a huge distance at all) but the thing is... he's been doing this for over three years. He had a shaky first season, and a terrible first six months, and in my opinion some people - not saying you here - were too quick to jump the gun in laughing at him being a "dud signing" (at 20 years of age, as a goalkeeper), and have since been very, very slow to eat their own words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This isn't Courtois' first season playing He did alright last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think he's without doubt the best shot stopper in the world.

I'd put Neuer and Courtois ahead of him atm though. They're just a bit stronger in their commanding of the box at present. De Gea is by far and away number 3 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Something is wrong in a team when all the talk is about how great the keeper is

dfx- wrote: »
    De Gea is going to be bumped up because of the recent game, but I'd have Lloris in ahead too..

I have already posted that I think DDG's performance today's game is being put on an unrealistic pedestal but I'd have DDG over Lloris all day. The only way I could see somebody preferring Lloris is if they haven't watched a whole lot of both players in the last two years. DDG is pretty much error free, Lloris is not.

I see the City fans are getting a bit scared. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He had a good game today but it was hardly absolutely amazing, some woeful finishing from Liverpool hitting shots where the keeper already was. Very good performance to keep his shape and block them but 90% of the saves were just good solid ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

after watching that sh1te today

i dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Probably just think it's odd, Hart isn't exactly setting the world alight, or that nice fwiw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

None of these three are "far better" than the other.

To say so, is idiotic.

Yes Bayern Munich are **** and pep is a terrible manager. I agree with you completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The most outstanding keeper in the Premier League for me this season has been Fraser Forster. Nobody ever mentions him as a top five in the world though.

after watching that sh1te today

i dont think so

You guys have hardly been world beaters this year either. 5 points between us isn't a whole lot.

You guys have hardly been world beaters this year either. 5 points between us isn't a whole lot.

That's without considering the injury problems utd have had, the wholesale changes to team needing to bed in and existing players having to adjust to a new manager who never managed in the PL before. Sure UTD are ruined though, muck, worst 3rd placed in the PL right now tbh.

• Advertisement

Anyone watching the Swansea vs Spurs game ready to start the Lloris hype yet? Get the memes ready now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

eagle eye wrote: »
    The most outstanding keeper in the Premier League for me this season has been Fraser Forster. Nobody ever mentions him as a top five in the world though.

That's because he's not top 5 in the world tho, I'm a huge fan of his and see him as top 5 in the premier league but not in the world

Anyone watching the Swansea vs Spurs game ready to start the Lloris hype yet? Get the memes ready now.

Ah heyor, you're surely self-aware enough to know that your posts are the definition of hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Does that apply to Neuer so aswell?

Probably just think it's odd, Hart isn't exactly setting the world alight, or that nice fwiw

The thing is Hart is expected to be world class every game. Sure he makes mistakes every now and again, as does De Gea and nearly every keeper in the world. But when Hart plays great it isn't blown out of proportion because he's a keeper for a world class team...it's appreciated but it's expected. Maybe the De Gea/United situation is different.

You can not be one for criticising hype, the essay size replies that read like they were written by a hack using the thesaurus function on every word he could, throw a few adjectives at me sure.

The thing is Hart is expected to be world class every game. Sure he makes mistakes every now and again, as does De Gea and nearly every keeper in the world. But when Hart plays great it isn't blown out of proportion because he's a keeper for a world class team...it's appreciated but it's expected. Maybe the De Gea/United situation is different.

When Hart has a game as good as De Gea let us know, kthnx.

madcabbage wrote: »
    Does that apply to Neuer so aswell?

It just means city are unreal, nobody ever says Hart could be world class, good omen really.

You can not be one for criticising hype, the essay size replies that read like they were written by a hack using the thesaurus function on every word he could, throw a few adjectives at me sure.

In fairness how can commenting on Xavi, Messi, Iniesta and Neymar be considered "hype"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Every shot straight at the goalkeeper of course he is going to save them.

Wake up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement