Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David De Gea - Best in the World?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fozz10 wrote: »
    cech is better than de gea. he has proven to be in the top 3 keepers with years and still is. how de gea can be rated better than even cech never mind the other two is crazy. de gea is nothing compared to the other 3 commanding his box and they are all at least his equal at shots and at probably all slightly better at one on ones. no point in claiming de gea is in the top in the world after half a good season and a load of dodgey ones behind him
    Make that two and a half quality seasons there buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Billy86 wrote: »
    Make that two and a half quality seasons there buddy.

cop on buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

still not as good as the three top keepers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I followed Monchengladbach last year because of a bet(that I ended up losing) and Ter Stegen is quality. Not saying he's the best in the world, he's certainly not, but I'd personally rate his potential higher than De Gea's when he was 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ter Stegen left Germany far too early. He was developing very well at M'gladbach. He'll still become a good if not great keeper but he got the big move far too early...a thing that lots of players who leave for Barca and Madrid experience.

• Advertisement

• Some hilarious denial in here...
    David De Gea is one of the best in the world at the moment.
    Scary thing is he's only 24 and a keeper can easily play until he's 40.
    He's always been an excellent shot stopper but he's trained hard over the last 12 months and has bulked up. He's added strength and his decision making has improved four fold.
    Unreal how he's not Spain's number 1 at this stage, how in the **** is Casillas still the keeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just saw the highlights there.

Very like the Arsenal game for me. A string of fine saves but most of the you'd expect him to make.

Good performances though but people need to calm down a bit.

How many of the Utd goals would De Gea have kept out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Vorm is one of the best in the league. Pity he's gone to warm the bench at spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

gosplan wrote: »

Very like the Arsenal game for me. A string of fine saves but most of the you'd expect him to make.

A goalies performance like that mightn't look too remarkable when you look at each save individually and think "any decent keeper would save that". It's the fact he saved them all with little fuss and looked comfortable all game, and he faced a fair amount over the course of the game(second most saves he's had to make in a PL game I think I read). Some people are playing it down because most of the shots were "straight at him", but that's doing a disservice to De Gea's positioning and reading of the game. A good save doesn't have to a fingertip around the post at full-stretch. He made himself big for all the one-on-ones and covered his angles brilliantly.

gosplan wrote: »

Mata's (if he was onside) is the type that is most likely to give him trouble - he saves the likes of Rooney and especially van Persie's many times a season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

shrewdness wrote: »
    A goalies performance like that mightn't look too remarkable when you look at each save individually and think "any decent keeper would save that". It's the fact he saved them all with little fuss and looked comfortable all game, and he faced a fair amount over the course of the game(second most saves he's had to make in a PL game I think I read). Some people are playing it down because most of the shots were "straight at him", but that's doing a disservice to De Gea's positioning and reading of the game. A good save doesn't have to a fingertip around the post at full-stretch. He made himself big for all the one-on-ones and covered his angles brilliantly.

Tbh I was more thinking 'any decent striker would have scored that'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would swap De Gea for Neuer but not so much Courtois

Isn't it funny that recently posters of the soccer forum were laughing at the idea of De Gea being near the top 3 but now going by this thread a lot have him in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Isn't it funny that recently posters of the soccer forum were laughing at the idea of De Gea being near the top 3 but now going by this thread a lot have him in it?
    That is what good form will do for a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Neuer is the best keeper i think. De gea and courtois i would put on the same level but de gea is looking more spectacular at the minute cause he has more do.

fozz10 wrote: »
    cop on buddy
    Solid argument there, I guess you must have missed that he was Premiership keeper of the year in 2012/13, and Man Utd fans player and player's player of the year in 2013/14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

he is just ****in deadly

People only think in the present. Suarez was considered by a lot of posters to be in top 5 players in the world at the end of last season. Now he's being called one of the worst signings in recent history by Marca.

http://www.marca.com/en/2014/12/13/en/football/barcelona/1418503764.html

Reality is as I once heard John Giles say, you're not as good or as bad as they say you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

People only think in the present. Suarez was considered by a lot of posters to be in top 5 players in the world at the end of last season. Now he's being called one of the worst signings in recent history by Marca.

http://www.marca.com/en/2014/12/13/en/football/barcelona/1418503764.html

Reality is as I once heard John Giles say, you're not as good or as bad as they say you are.

Marca is just a shouty Real Madrid mouthpiece in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A thread about the best keeper in the world. And Joe Hart's name is mentioned? That name shouldn't be allowed appear in this thread. He's well below De Gea

Marca is just a shouty Real Madrid mouthpiece in fairness.

Yeah tbf I wouldn't give it much thought, but I assume that the casual fan in Spain is probably thinking something along these lines, in stark contrast to what EPL fans would've been thinking last year. Most fans forget the whole 'form is temporary' cliche. Same thing with Ramsey last year, a few people were saying he could be the best player in the league when he went through his good form. Don't hear anyone saying that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Top in the prem:

5) lloris
    4) begovic
    3) cech
    2) de gea
    1) courtois

I can't figure out how a really big club haven't come in for begovic. He's top class

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

In the post Ferguson era ddg has been without doubt the best keeper in the league. Whether he is better than neuer I couldn't give an honest opinion as I haven't seen neuer play enough times to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Top in the prem:

5) lloris
    4) begovic
    3) cech
    2) de gea
    1) courtois

I can't figure out how a really big club haven't come in for begovic. He's top class

Lol... I read that as 1 to 5 from the top down and I was about to spit the dummy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Trouble with comparing GK's is the defence they have in front of them.

De Gea has been excellent and has had every chance to show how good he is because the United defence is pretty **** (compared to Chelsea's and Bayern's.)

Certainly Neurer must get bored every now and then on the pitch.

Heard a remark yesterday he (Neurer) is on a 34 match run of where he had no fault in a conceded goal.
    At the other hand, i really hope Neurer goes flat on his arse soon with his adventures outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

he's defo top 5 in the world.

fair play to the guy too, he's adapted and grown since moving to england.

I don't think he'll better Neuer though. He's phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can any fans of La Liga tell me how Keylor Navas is doing? He was amazing at the World Cup. Is he even getting games? I think I saw him in a cup match match a while back but that may not mean much.

And the Mexican keeper Guilermo Ochoa. Has he made it big at all? Think he was clubless during the WC after a stint in France. I know they're not Top 3's, just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can any fans of La Liga tell me how Keylor Navas is doing? He was amazing at the World Cup. Is he even getting games? I think I saw him in a cup match match a while back but that may not mean much.

And the Mexican keeper Guilermo Ochoa. Has he made it big at all? Think he was clubless during the WC after a stint in France. I know they're not Top 3's, just curious.

A quick google search says that Navas has played twice this season since signing for Real and Ochoa has not started a game since signing for Malaga

However, Ochoa has recently started following Liverpool Football Club on twitter "minutes" after Mignolet was dropped..... if the Mirror is to be believed!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/mexican-goalkeeper-guillermo-ochoa-started-4808486

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Am I missing something here? What has Courtois done that has everyone is saying hes better than De Gea?

deadybai wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? What has Courtois done that has everyone is saying hes better than De Gea?

Part of the defence that broke the Barca/Real dominance and I don't think Messi has scored against him either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Where do you want to start?

2 time Zamora trophy winner in 3 seasons in Madrid
    UCL team of the year
    Europa league title, la liga title, copa del rey beating Real, for the 1st time since 99 and at the Bernabeu and being MOTM.

De Gea is an excellent keeper and will be one of the best but for me Courtois shades it, hes been more consistent, He was beter in Spain and he started his career in England a lot more solid than De Gea did.

Theyre both the best 2 starting keepers in the league by some distance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Wonder will Real come sniffing round for De Gea this summer? Or would he be against playing for them after his time at Atletico?

GavRedKing wrote: »

UCL team of the year
    Europa league title, la liga title, copa del rey beating Real, for the 1st time since 99 and at the Bernabeu and being MOTM.

De Gea is an excellent keeper and will be one of the best but for me Courtois shades it, hes been more consistent, He was beter in Spain and he started his career in England a lot more solid than De Gea did.

And he's younger.

kfallon wrote: »
    Wonder will Real come sniffing round for De Gea this summer? Or would he be against playing for them after his time at Atletico?

The longer his contract situation drags on the worse its going to look to us looking in.

Utd have a gem on their hands so they should throw him what he wants to deter any interest from elsewhere, I'd also reckon after being at Atletico, I dont think he'd line out for Real but money talks.

Utd signing De Gea on an extension would be a great bit of business for them, it doenst mean he wont move but if he does they'll get big money for him.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    And he's younger.

something like 18months but if both keep fit theres no reason they wont be around for another 12-15 years.

Theyre the 2 stand out young keepers of their generation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

something like 18months but if both keep fit theres no reason they wont be around for another 12-15 years.

Theyre the 2 stand out young keepers of their generation anyway.

How long have chelsea had him on the books?

• Advertisement

How long have chelsea had him on the books?

This is 4th year as a Chelsea player, 3 years on loan at Atletico, he was bought from Genk and shipped out to Atletico as De Gea went to Utd.

COurtois got his 100th career clean sheet last season I think.
    DDG got his 50th this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its mad these threads pop up when the game yesterday was marred with less than world class shots.

Actually no, not mad. More disappointing.

UCL team of the year

I think Courtois won Atletico's player of the year award both seasons he was there, also? Not definite but I think I remember reading it somewhere towards the back end of last season, and if so that's pretty incredible considering they had Falcao scoring 34 goals in 12/13 and Costa getting 36 in 13/14.

I wouldn't swap DDG for him (keepers need to 'fit' in their team more than most other positions I reckon, they can't really dictate the team to fit them like a CM can for example) but I agree Courtois shades is at this point in time. Incredible to think that both these guys still have 12-15 years remaining at their best (DDG only turned 24 last month, and Courtois isn't 23 until May), part of the reason I was delighted when we 'overpaid' for him back in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Courtois was significantly better at the start of the season but even without a setttled defense like Courtois has had De Gea has pulled it back in recent weeks somewhat. I think he's a slightly better shot stopper and Courtois' big strength is his coming for crosses and general atmosphere in the box. They're both slightly different but both top class and even though Courtois is probably better I wouldn't swap De Gea for anyone.

• Advertisement

Gits_bone wrote: »
    COurtois got his 100th career clean sheet last season I think.
    DDG got his 50th this season.

I'd have to check but his last game for Atletico was his 199th club game, its possible hes got a 1 in 2 record and if so its pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

UCL team of the year

All fine achievements but De Gea hasn't done too badly in his career so far either. He's also won the Europa League at around the same age as Courtois did and was a key part in Utd's league win in 2013, among other wins including great underage success with Spain.

He's has grown into one of the best keepers around after a shaky start which shows the great mental strength he has(many people who've worked with him mention this), combine that with his obvious ability and Utd have a real gem here. Yes Courtois has been more solid in his start in the league, but he has a bigger physical presence which helps no end in the PL. He's also about a couple of years older than De Gea was(I think), which is alot at that age for a keeper, although they're both still so young and will continue to learn and improve. De Gea has put on much needed muscle since his first season, he really was just a boy when he came.

Even as a Utd fan I might give the slight edge to Courtois, he was exceptional at Atletico, but there really isn't much in it. The claims from some saying he's "miles ahead" of De Gea is pure nonsense. Definitely wouldn't swap them. De Gea has showed he can perform and make the big saves whether he's only called upon once in a game, or if he's under the cosh repeatedly(as he has been recently). They're both exceptional young keepers and will be among the best for many years.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think Courtois won Atletico's player of the year award both seasons he was there, also? Not definite but I think I remember reading it somewhere towards the back end of last season, and if so that's pretty incredible considering they had Falcao scoring 34 goals in 12/13 and Costa getting 36 in 13/14.

I wouldn't swap DDG for him (keepers need to 'fit' in their team more than most other positions I reckon, they can't really dictate the team to fit them like a CM can for example) but I agree Courtois shades is at this point in time. Incredible to think that both these guys still have 12-15 years remaining at their best (DDG only turned 24 last month, and Courtois isn't 23 until May), part of the reason I was delighted when we 'overpaid' for him back in 2011.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Courtois was significantly better at the start of the season but even without a setttled defense like Courtois has had De Gea has pulled it back in recent weeks somewhat. I think he's a slightly better shot stopper and Courtois' big strength is his coming for crosses and general atmosphere in the box. They're both slightly different but both top class and even though Courtois is probably better I wouldn't swap De Gea for anyone.

I'd agree with ye, I wouldnt swap Courtois for Neuer, who everyone pretty much agrees is the best in the world.

De Gea has better distribution than Courtois and Courtois is a more commanding figure, the rest is pretty even between them and both clubs are lucky to have both at such a young age as both could easily play a decade at the top level for club and country.

shrewdness wrote: »
    The claims from some saying he's "miles ahead" of De Gea is pure nonsense.
    Agreed, hes not miles ahead, its very close and one has skill sets that are better than the other and vice versa, miles better would be comparing a Dave Forde with the two for example.
    They're both exceptional young keepers and will be among the best for many years.

Yup, its a position that barring bizzare transfer circumstances, both clubs will be settled in for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

To be fair to De Gea, his big money move to United contributed to his poor start. Also there was added pressure from the media because United found it difficult to replace Schimical and many were saying VDS's replacement would be difficult too. All this and less experience at the top level meant De Gea was under much more pressure going to UNited than Courtois was going to CHelsea

To be fair to De Gea, his big money move to United contributed to his poor start. Also there was added pressure from the media because United found it difficult to replace Schimical and many were saying VDS's replacement would be difficult too. All this and less experience at the top level meant De Gea was under much more pressure going to UNited than Courtois was going to CHelsea

One mistake United made in the transfer I thought was not forcing it through in January, for this exact reason - a hell of a lot of pressure for a 20 year old from another country who didn't even speak English to come into. VDS sat out a good 8 games or so at the end of his last season also if I recall (not injuries, just rest) and they would have been great to ease DDG in with while letting him learn behind the guy who was giving Schmeichel a run for his money as the best in the clubs history.

Funny enough SSN seem to be doing a poll on this today. Funnier still are the results.

1. DDG 29% (kneejerk obviously)
    2. Neuer 21% (well at least he is in second, should of course be first)
    3. Joe Hart 18% (Decent keeper but even for an English channel this is completely laughable)
    4a. Lloris 16% (!?)
    4b. Courtois 16% (obviously a lot of SSN viewers don't watch La Liga outside of Barca/Madrid then, which means Neuer is getting rated on a few WC matches well above anything else).

Tragic really. :p

Is it time for a poll :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Who is the Atletico goalkeeping coach? He seems to be doing a great job anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

This is a hot topic in the media today. Decent article in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/15/david-de-gea-and-europes-best-goalkeepers-this-season

Neuer's save stats are actually crazy.
    De Gea’s style, statistics and awards are admirable, but he has some way to go before he can match the peerless Manuel Neuer. We all know that Neuer has won the World Cup, picked up a nomination for the Ballon d’Or and recast himself as a 21st-century Franz Beckenbauer, but his statistics are frighteningly impressive. Neuer has saved 91.2% of the shots he has faced this season. If we amend that statistic to include only shots taken inside the 18-yeard box, it increases to a preposterous 91.3%.

That figure is more than 10% better than any other goalkeeper in Europe’s top five leagues has managed this season. Mattia Perin of Genoa (80.4%), Yann Sommer of Borussia Mönchengladbach (78.1%) and Diego Benaglio of Wolfsburg (75%) are Neuer’s closest challengers when it comes to saving close-range shots, with De Gea a little further back on 71.7%. De Gea may be the best goalkeeper in the Premier League, and he may well earn Manchester United’s player of the month award for the rest of the decade, but Neuer is, indisputably, the best goalkeeper in Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement