Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labrador - 3rd time getting an abcess in the same place

• 14-12-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Back in July our Labrador got an abscess under the right side of his jaw. The vet reckoned it was dune grass that pierced his skin on the beach. We were given antibiotics and after a week the lump disappeared. About 5 weeks ago the lump reappeared, in the same place. We went back to the vet (a different guy) who gave us more antibiotics and again after a week the lump disappeared.

Today we noticed the lump is back. It's clearly affecting his form and is worrying us now, especially with it recurring.

I'll bring him to the vet again tomorrow but does anyone have experience of anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

With humans, a reoccurring abscess needs to be operated on I believe (a fairly minor operation I'm sure!), as the abscess itself isn't clearing, it's essentially lying dormant for a while until it's irritated again. The source of it needs to be removed.

I don't know if the same applies to dogs, so don't take my word for it!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I know a German Pointer that something similar happened to OP.. it was a tooth, one of the big molars, and I'm pretty sure it had to come out in the end. I think your vet(s) need to dig a little deeper to get to the root of this.... If you pardon the pun :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

many years ago I developed an abcess on my shoulder the source I think was a prod of a blackthorn bush omg do I remember it well
    after about 2 weeks of antis it still wasn't clearing and I had to have a minor op problem solved in 3 days all dried up

im like vonvix I don't know if the same applies to dogs

its terrible when you see them off form jesus there our 4 legged babies after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Well my neighbour had a foster-greyhound a few months ago, who the vet in the kennels she had been in had just kept giving her antibiotics for months, for an abscess on her bum. When she came here, we had her in a local vet straight off, who sedated her, and removed a fragment of bone from there! With a little help from the neighbour (cleaning and also castor oil, of all things!), it cleared up really quickly after that.

On the other hand, the fact of it being on the jaw, makes me lean more towards DBB's suspicion in this case. That it is a tooth that has a low-grade infection, and really needs out. I'd either go back to your own vet, and insist this is investigated, or if you really are not happy with the relationship you have with this vet, then do some research, and find one you really will trust, and get him in there right away, rather than leaving it to rumble over the Christmas, which is what will likely happen if you don't move fairly smartly.

It's annoying, but vets do try to have a little holiday too, if they can fit it in around the actual emergencies, and everyone else will be aware of that too, so vets' surgeries will be fairly crowded over the next couple of weeks. I really would try to get it sorted properly before the holidays, as this could well ruin it for all of you, to say nothing of the poor vet, if it does actually become an emergency on christmas morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks all, he'll be in the vet today so I'll let you know what we find out - hopefully it's just something minor. It's amazing how quickly it can flare up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The vet is unsure whether it's a saliva gland that's backed up or an abscess, so he's sent some of the gunk he extracted for analysis. Surgery will most likely be required, though they reckon it can happen this side of Christmas, which is good news. At this moment in time it doesn't look like anything serious though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I had a foster-ferret many years back who had to have a blocked salivary duct removed. The surgery went really well, then a course of antibiotics, and she was as good as new. Luckily I'd cured her of the fear-biting by then, or I wouldn't have fancied my chances at getting the synulox into her! So glad it isn't serious. Hopefully your fella will be fixed up really easily too :)

Advertisement